Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was wondering if this type of mod would be possible, bascially where the Black part of the Dash meets the Grey part of the dash, to have a LED strip in there for "mood lighting" at night.

My father has this in his Cadillac CTS and it looks amazing and very subtle at night. i can't seem to find a picture of what I mean.... so that means MS Paint here I come:

original:

MS PAint:
(it's very tiny but i added a blue line like LEDs between the black and grey areas)

EDIT: Bah i can't even see it properly and i know what to look for lol. anyways, if oyu understand what i'm talking about then comment on thoughts and ideas on maybe how to do this.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, I don't have an led light rope it might be neon, but if you wedge it deep enough in the crack you may be able to get it deep enough you don't see the rope just the light from it. I think I'll try with what I have whe it's not SNOWING:angry:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya looking at the dash (mainly above the glove box) it's perfectly flat and doesn't really have a lip (the black part coming further out than the grey) so you'd be able to see the LED's directly. i think it would have to be a neon tube after all.

next thing i have to check is if there's some "play" in between the black and grey area that i can squeeze something in there or if it's glued together...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Those strip lights are sick. Ill have to look into those for some areas in the car. I have been working on some interior lighting, it is bright as heck right now, but more would be cool......

We will see how everything looks after I install my stereo system.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it is bright as heck right now, but more would be cool......
lol that made me laugh. ya i'm still considering this. i will go with a light tube instead of LED strips and i will start with just the dash and see how that goes. (i think i'll wire it to the headlights so it only turns on when it's dark. cus i noticed that other interior lights like on the Mode selection buttons and stuff comes on when it's day and turn off at night)

Edit: I just ordered this product with a Dimmer module so we will see how it goes.
http://www.thatscoolwire.com/store/item.asp?Category=168&SubCategoryID=118&GroupID=&SKU=AA-MNL-32
Any suggestions on what to use as an Adhesive to stick the wire on the dash?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Any suggestions on what to use as an Adhesive to stick the wire on the dash?
I would suggest using the cheapest possible scotch tape to mock up the positioning, because that won't pull and paint up with it when you have to move it. Once you figure out where everything is going I would use some high grade two sided tape for the permanent solution. I really like 3M tape, I use that for pretty much all of my fancy lighting projects. Be warned anything you put on the dash has a chance of pulling up the paint on the dash, so make sure you like this before you commit.

Also, EL anything is as bright as normal LEDs, so don't expect it to light up the entire interior.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is a tiny wire... how the hell am i supposed to use 3m tape for it. the wire is 0.9mm thick. 1mm is the thickness of a finger nail. this is gonna be a really tiny glowing wire that i shove in the crack between the black and grey areas of the dash and somehow have to have it stay there.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my wire light came in today but i missed the UPS guy so i'll get it tomorrow. i'll install as soon as I can and get some pics or vids of it for you guys. the hard part will be wiring it so it comes on with the headlights, not sure where i should tap into for that.

·
Registered
367 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.