Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving around today and thought to myself, "I wonder if there is a throttle body spacer available for the CR-Z..."

After a little poking around i didnt find much for the fit, and nothing for the CR-Z.

For the R18, there were gains of 10 hp just from a 100$ TBS which is well worth it.
I would assume that since the CR-Z has that Venturi effect that a TBS may make a difference? I dont know wether it would be good or bad?

Im thinking that it could either disrupt the venturi effect and disturb the airflow and make less or no power, OR it could enhance the venturi effect and increase power like most TBS's do.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If it truely already does have a venturi in the stock intake I wouldn't put a TB space on. It will disrupt/cause turbulance.

But, it may work great with an aftermarket intake without a venturi. Or does the TB have a venturi in it? If so, I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
$784 fora 4-6 HP gain seems a little steep, but it is from Spoon so I guess it is to be expected.
4-6hp with only the TB. Add the benefits of an intake, intake manifold (when one's produced), camshaft, exhaust, tune. It adds up. And you're right. It's expensive mostly because of the name. I would only really see them as essential for Cams and/or turbocharging. It would also be useful if you tore the engine down, bored the cylinders and put new pistons and a stroker kit in.

i always thought that TB spacers were snake oil
Most of them are. Some have a venturi effect, which is not snake oil.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i always thought that TB spacers were snake oil
There are proven dynos for the r18 that it did add 10 hp. whether it was whp or chp i cant say because i dont remember exactly but 10 was the number.

Its funny because on the k20, TBS gains werent as high.

They are supposed to improve the mixture of fuel by doing something like a venturi effect, but since our cars already have the swirling air and proper ionization of fuel in the cylinder it doesnt seem necessary to have one.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
There are proven dynos for the r18 that it did add 10 hp. whether it was whp or chp i cant say because i dont remember exactly but 10 was the number.

Its funny because on the k20, TBS gains werent as high.

They are supposed to improve the mixture of fuel by doing something like a venturi effect, but since our cars already have the swirling air and proper ionization of fuel in the cylinder it doesnt seem necessary to have one.
it also depends on the dyno. you can make a dyno prove anything you want, especially if you are selling the part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.