Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about a week on the car now. My greatest complaint with the stock handling is that the back end has much more body roll than the front. Has anyone tried the rear aftermarket anti-roll bars? Does anyone have any comments about the sub-frame braces? Is there any perceptable improvement?

To my unrefined taste the front end feels pretty good and predictable in stock trim.

Thanks K

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
i think the stock suspension is more to blame than the chassis for the body roll so im getting coilovers but if im not satisfied i plan to do bracing also. I dont think you will notice enough difference with braces to mitigate the issues youre having. I think zeropointzero is the only person here with bracing so far so we will have to wait for him to chime in.

·
Registered
421 Posts
here are my mods so far:

installed: cusco lower front chasis braces V1 and V2. HKS Kansai rear hatch brace.

the only problem i noticed prior to installing these braces was a rear hatch popping/creaking noise during aggressive corning. the rear popping/creaking noise is now gone. i give credit to the HKS Kansai bar for that, but the cusco parts are not without merit. they stiffen the front lower subframe front and rear. the lower subframe is stamped steel so some extra stiffening is welcomed.

parts i have, but not installed are the cusco front and rear sway bars. i am waiting on the swift springs to arrive before i install the sway bars.

also on my agenda is a front upper strut/chassis brace and a rear lower chassis brace. the front sway bar end links also appear to be a weak link in our suspensions. i don't know how many of you have looked at these, but they are long and thin. not much strength there, IMHO. moonface has some end links that look promising.

i always work on getting the chassis as stiff as possible to allow the suspension to do the work. the suspension bushings will be another weakness until the aftermarket catches up.

just my thoughts, don't flame me.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I've got about a week on the car now. My greatest complaint with the stock handling is that the back end has much more body roll than the front. Has anyone tried the rear aftermarket anti-roll bars? Does anyone have any comments about the sub-frame braces? Is there any perceptable improvement?

To my unrefined taste the front end feels pretty good and predictable in stock trim.

Thanks K
Good question.
At the risk of showing my ignorance - After lowering it an inch and putting 20MM DRM spacers on the rear for a 40MM wider stance (in the rear), it feels (subjectively) that I do not have as much roll in the back with a bit of understeer. Also seems to be an improvement...

I'm OK with someone telling me that's BS - in a civilized manner... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Scotty the stiffer springs definately help with roll, no worries, your impressions are correct.

also zeropointzero, why a front sway. i know rear sways make a difference on front drive cars in eliminating understeer but doesnt a stiffer front mitigate the addition of the rear sway? I appreciate your other observations.

i plan to mod in reverse order than you. Once my suspension is on i'll stiffen it up.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Scotty the stiffer springs definately help with roll, no worries, your impressions are correct.

also zeropointzero, why a front sway. i know rear sways make a difference on front drive cars in eliminating understeer but doesnt a stiffer front mitigate the addition of the rear sway? I appreciate your other observations.

i plan to mod in reverse order than you. Once my suspension is on i'll stiffen it up.
A stiffer front bar will ballance out a car with a stiffer rear bar. A stiffer rear bar alone can induce lift-throttle or snap oversteer. A front bar alone will add to understeer; something we don't need in this car.

Have you guys seen this rear brace? Looks fantastic.
Kansai Service Rear Chassis Brace CR-Z

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
^ thanks. Now that you mention it, my last car with RSB only did do some interesting things if you lift off mid corner. They didnt even make a FSB for that car though.

I saw that HKS bar, looks great.

·
Registered
421 Posts
here is a simple rule to live by when tuning with sway bars.

"stiffen the front, loosen the rear." "stiffen the rear, loosen the front." what that is saying is, if you put a bigger sway on the front, you will cause the rear to lose traction easily. ie: oversteer, drifting, pucker time. if you put a big sway bar on the rear, you will loosen the front. ie: understeer, push, plow, crap my tires are howling and nothing is happening but lift off the throttle and all is well.

most FWD cars understeer, because when you start to slide the first thing you do i lift off the throttle which allows you to re-gain control of your car.

^^these rules apply at normal speeds, tracks speeds vary based on conditions.... lol...

·
Registered
421 Posts

i am hoping the cusco sways have been set up to balance each other. we will see once i get everything installed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
A stiffer front bar will ballance out a car with a stiffer rear bar. A stiffer rear bar alone can induce lift-throttle or snap oversteer. A front bar alone will add to understeer; something we don't need in this car.

Have you guys seen this rear brace? Looks fantastic.
Kansai Service Rear Chassis Brace CR-Z
shatner, way ahead of you on the rear lower kansai brace. will update once it arrives.

·
Registered
145 Posts
zeropointzero - i'm getting the front/rear cusco sway bars installed also. hoping to lessen the body roll and stiffen the feel.

trouble is - noone makes ajustable drop link sway bars for the crz yet? hope both will balance out. wonder if anyone has some in the works?

was thinking only needed the rear sway since the front seems pretty stiff: doesn't need strut brace, may need front under chasis front brace but might not help that much though??

may also go with the swift lowering springs. but will wait till the verdit with the cusco sway bars.

later
dan

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
KamiSpeed- CRZ Suspension and Chassis Reinforcement

Now that business it taken care of...
We have a 3dr Yaris and it basically has the same set-up of the CR-Z. On our car any chassis reinforcement in the front and front sway bar really helped, but my rule tended to be more reinforcement in the front than the rear.

The rear still need reinforcement as it's a hatchback which means the back is generally less stiff than a sedan (zeropointzero mentioned that when he said the rear hatch didn't make noise anymore). But once the rear is stiff I'd say focus more on the front with bracing, strut, and performance bars. But don't ignore sway bars, thats not really for stiffening but more body roll and both the front and rear will definately help, though if you're getting one first go with the front.

Anyways, it always turned out for us that having the front stiffer ended up allowing the rear to slide a bit, we had under steer but the rear sliding corrected it. But that was us, the Yaris has all its weight in the front and the CR-Z is more balanced so it might not work exactly the same, though generally it should be similar.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
shatner, way ahead of you on the rear lower kansai brace. will update once it arrives.
Sweet! I really want the fronts that you have in addition to the rear Kansai brace. That thing looks beastly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
here is a simple rule to live by when tuning with sway bars.

"stiffen the front, loosen the rear." "stiffen the rear, loosen the front." what that is saying is, if you put a bigger sway on the front, you will cause the rear to lose traction easily. ie: oversteer, drifting, pucker time. if you put a big sway bar on the rear, you will loosen the front. ie: understeer, push, plow, crap my tires are howling and nothing is happening but lift off the throttle and all is well.

most FWD cars understeer, because when you start to slide the first thing you do i lift off the throttle which allows you to re-gain control of your car.

^^these rules apply at normal speeds, tracks speeds vary based on conditions.... lol...
Excellent, I needed that :thumbsup: I am probably going to consider a front swaybar first because I love letting the rear end slide out, maybe not uber safe for winter but I'll manage :pP:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yesterday I did a performance onramp turn. I was VERY supprised to feel the rear lifting and coming around. .. I had a 74 pinto stationwagon that would have smoked this car in a corner.. ok so :rolleyes:.. bring on the mods..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.