Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Thinking about the HPD supercharger. THINKING

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Crash 
#1 ·
That HPD Supercharger really caught my eye. I know it isn't something I'd ever be able to afford anytime soon, but I was wondering about it. Anyone who has or had one was it worth it? Also did you find yourself needing any other upgrades? I saw there was an exhaust upgrade, some body kit stuff and a limited slip diff. Are those things you'd eventually have to get? The 18 inch wheels sound appealing, but I love the stock rims on the 16's I've got right now. Just some thoughts!

#2 ·
Now that I have the HPD, I won't live without it. If I compare it to my other CR-Z, which has the CVT and a Sprintex supercharger--the Sprintex was a year or two of tweeking/upgrading, and perfecting to the extent that I was at my wit's end to get it right. I finally did, but while the CVT was at the dyno, I decided to purchase the HPD supercharger (and then, a 6-Speed CR-Z to go along with it. Ended up having TWO CR-Z's with superchargers attached. By far--hands down--the HPD was the most no-hassle way to supercharge, but I wouldn't trade the experience learned from getting the Sprintex set up just the way I wanted it either. Extremely happy with both.

I would recommend the limited slip diff with the HPD if you get it, and of course, it would be nice to have the HPD exhaust too....but, I do have the OEM exhaust on the CVT and the Mugen exhaust on the HPD. Either way you go, if you want a bit more power and don't want to buy a list of parts, just buy ONE engine modification and be done with it--just invest in a supercharger and no other parts are really needed (just that you can get yourself in an unlimited wish list situation for extra parts that make it go faster, but that will never end until you reach that 500hp, but then, there's still more than that, that is possible..... so, stick with 200hp and be happy, I say.

(Oh, and I'm happy with my low budget 16" OEM wheels) :)

#4 ·
@litz
With the CRZ CVT you're running K Tuner

With the CRZ manual it looks like you added the HPD Supercharger or did you buy one that was installed with the HPD from factory? If you added the HPD to your CRZ are you running any engine management? Let me know thanks
Yes, with CVT I'm running KTuner and had Innovative MotorWorks tune it (they're an authorized KTuner dealer--a must.) Until I found out about them, my tune just wasn't right, and the other place, locally, couldn't figure how to get it right. Turns out that the KTuner needed some software upgrades for a good tune that were not "standard" with the "End User System" that I bought on line.

Had the HPD Supercharger--bought a 6-Speed that was 99.9% stock--and installed the HPD in that before I drove it more than just around the block. Sent the ECU to HPD in California to reflash for the supercharger "OEM" tune, and do not have any aftermarket engine management, so it's completely stock, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.