Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
2761 - 2780 of 2802 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I also changed out my OEM tensioner for a Gates tensioner and that should address any future belt squeak issues. So far I haven't had daily belt squeak in the morning since changing the belt and tensioner.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
279 Posts
Just thought I'd add that I currently have made it to 30.2mpg lifetime average with the Sprintex. I am temporarily using @tikeybun old 2011 dyno tune. I'd like to add that the tune has slight engine knock during stop and go at low rpms for a brief moment, but it really only happens when the car sits at a stop for more than 10 secs usually. I'm taking it to get the tune revised on the 8th by a tuner with a dyno. I'll update results when it is done.

Reactions: J1000

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Just thought I'd add that I currently have made it to 30.2mpg lifetime average with the Sprintex. I am temporarily using @tikeybun old 2011 dyno tune. I'd like to add that the tune has slight engine knock during stop and go at low rpms for a brief moment, but it really only happens when the car sits at a stop for more than 10 secs usually. I'm taking it to get the tune revised on the 8th by a tuner with a dyno. I'll update results when it is done.
I'm interested in seeing the results of your Dyno session. The tune you are currently running was a dyno tune on my old 11. It was done by a shop that I have less faith in these days after they did a couple goomba moves on the car. I do my own work on the 16 unless its something major or I'm feeling extremely lazy.

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,411 Posts
what injectors are you using?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
279 Posts
If hes using the same injectors i used its gonna be some 270cc Accord V6 injectors.
Yes, it was brand new 270cc Accord V6 injectors. The provided tune was set at 252cc for some reason, and it's going to be interesting to find out what the tuner will say. Of course, he has only ever tuned a supercharged 6MT CR-Z, not a supercharged CVT.

EDIT: Also, how come you lost faith with that shop? Did they mess up something or a tune?

Reactions: HondaHolly

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yes, it was brand new 270cc Accord V6 injectors. The provided tune was set at 252cc for some reason, and it's going to be interesting to find out what the tuner will say. Of course, he has only ever tuned a supercharged 6MT CR-Z, not a supercharged CVT.

EDIT: Also, how come you lost faith with that shop? Did they mess up something or a tune?
They made a few goomba moves on the car combined with the fact that they couldnt figure out how to get my pillowballs to work on my BC racing suspension. It only took a few hours at @96firephoenix house on quickjacks to get the pillowballs installed and so far no abnormal noise like the shop claimed they were getting. Nice people that run the shop but they made one too many mistakes on my 11 CVT. They also do not support Ktuner so I wont be able to get tuned by them on the 16 anyways.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
279 Posts
I tried reaching out to a ton of places in Austin about tuners that support Hondata/Ktuner or even just Honda's in general, and it seems like no one does except for one guy in San Antonio, so it's the only option I have as far as tuning is concerned.

• Wow

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I tried reaching out to a ton of places in Austin about tuners that support Hondata/Ktuner or even just Honda's in general, and it seems like no one does except for one guy in San Antonio, so it's the only option I have as far as tuning is concerned.
Hondata is supposed to be more widely supported then Ktuner so thats a bit odd that there are not that many tuners in Austin TX that support it.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
279 Posts
Has anyone here ever messed with a smaller pully for the sprintex to get more boost? I was only able to get 135-140 hp max with the pully that came with the sprintex unit. My tuner tried to make the tune more aggressive but kept dropping power at 5500 rpm, the CVT did not like it with my current setup.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Has anyone here ever messed with a smaller pully for the sprintex to get more boost? I was only able to get 135-140 hp max with the pully that came with the sprintex unit. My tuner tried to make the tune more aggressive but kept dropping power at 5500 rpm, the CVT did not like it with my current setup.
I would recommend not throwing on the smaller pulley unless you are prepared to invest in a solid water meth setup. You will heatsoak like crazy if you toss the smaller pulley on as the SC kit is not intercooled. I'd also be concerned about the reliability of the CVT with the smaller pulley. 140 HP is better then the results I got on the tune I gave you. Hopefully you get better MPG on the new tune.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
279 Posts
I would recommend not throwing on the smaller pulley unless you are prepared to invest in a solid water meth setup. You will heatsoak like crazy if you toss the smaller pulley on as the SC kit is not intercooled. I'd also be concerned about the reliability of the CVT with the smaller pulley. 140 HP is better then the results I got on the tune I gave you. Hopefully you get better MPG on the new tune.
The tuner knew what he was doing. He explained a lot of stuff and was able to clean up the provided tune you gave me. He said the knock control really needed some work and looked like if it was half-assed in certain areas but was able to clear it up. I have noticed that the new tune revision seems a lot smoother if that makes any sense.

So, then a slightly smaller pulley is too risky even with a vented hood?

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,411 Posts
so 5500 is about the top end of the powerband, and it's also where the IMA stops contributing in a meaningful way. 140 wheel horsepower is really good for a CVT and I wouldn't push it much past that.
I swear that I remember someone in the past had the same setup as me but was able to somehow bring the max hp to 180-190 with the CVT, I think it was @MartinT . I wonder if he used a smaller pulley.
Don't compare a UK user's dyno stats to a US dyno. The tuners in the UK use a lot of funky maths to assume crank horsepower and call it a calculation.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
279 Posts
so 5500 is about the top end of the powerband, and it's also where the IMA stops contributing in a meaningful way. 140 wheel horsepower is really good for a CVT and I wouldn't push it much past that.

Don't compare a UK user's dyno stats to a US dyno. The tuners in the UK use a lot of funky maths to assume crank horsepower and call it a calculation.
So, a 1 or 2mm smaller pulley is not worth the risk is what you are saying?

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
279 Posts
Also, about the serpentine belt, is the Gates K100661HD V-Belt smaller than the Sprintex provided belt? You know, the green belt everyone switches to eventually?

·
Volunteer Admin
2011 CRZ EX, and 2011 CRZ Mugen 060/300
6,172 Posts
Also, about the serpentine belt, is the Gates K100661HD V-Belt smaller than the Sprintex provided belt? You know, the green belt everyone switches to eventually?
I was always told and/or read somewhere way back in this thread that the green belt was smaller. I think if you look up the dimensions of each you can compare the circumference for example

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
279 Posts
I'd also like to point out that I've learned that there are different numbers when comparing wheel horsepower, crank horsepower, and brake horsepower. I was very confused when I saw the dyno chart thinking the sprintex did not really make any extra power compared to the listed stock CR-Z "122 HP" at 6k, but it in fact was. The dyno read WHP instead of just plain HP or CHP. So having it at 135-140 WHP was a realistic number as the tuner was trying to explain to me.

So, there are online calculator conversions for WHP to HP, apparently front wheel drivetrain 135WHP with the sprintex is equal to 150 engine HP. I do feel kind of dumb for not knowing these differences.

I'm guessing that if I were to have dynoed the CR-Z in stock form, it would have shown up with a max WHP at 110ish? I guess that's also taking the hybrid battery into account, it would be lower if it was not.

Reactions: J1000
2761 - 2780 of 2802 Posts