Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
2681 - 2700 of 2708 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hiep has the "good" parts of my old Sprintex, but JBP left the oil consumption kit in the same "bad" location for his rebuild (with the same results.) I'm glad to see you made a breather for the oil check location--much better than the experimental placement JBP did on mine. I do miss that Sprintex whine, though. :)
@96firephoenix actually used the fill port for the vent. Although the dipstick wouldn't have been a bad location. The current setup does have an advantage. I can check the fluid level and fill up the oil without having to remove the vent kit or sacrifice the dipstick.

Reactions: litz

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,230 Posts
update, I'm now into mid-may on the parts ETA

Hiep has the "good" parts of my old Sprintex, but JBP left the oil consumption kit in the same "bad" location for his rebuild (with the same results.) I'm glad to see you made a breather for the oil check location--much better than the experimental placement JBP did on mine. I do miss that Sprintex whine, though. :)
I honestly think they should have bought you a new sprintex... It does make a good whine.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
update, I'm now into mid-may on the parts ETA

I honestly think they should have bought you a new sprintex... It does make a good whine.
Get that Sprintex done for the Dragon meet. Tow the red 11 behind the MDX so you can do some shenanigans with the rest of the group if you make it a family trip.

·
2,230 Posts
Get that Sprintex done for the Dragon meet. Tow the red 11 behind the MDX so you can do some shenanigans with the rest of the group if you make it a family trip.
that's the plan lol... I might be looking for a lightweight trailer tho so I don't ahve to F/W uhaul. If i get a car hauler with actual brakes, I'd be comfortable pulling it through the mountains

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
that's the plan lol... I might be looking for a lightweight trailer tho so I don't ahve to F/W uhaul. If i get a car hauler with actual brakes, I'd be comfortable pulling it through the mountains
Some 4 pots on that MDX should do the trick

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
225 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how many people are known to have a working Sprintex unit in their CR-Z currently? And also, how many Sprintex units ended up out of commission due to flaws/bad maintenance? It would be kind of funny to see a Sprintex current status list of forum users known to have/had a Sprintex for the CR-Z.

·
2,230 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how many people are known to have a working Sprintex unit in their CR-Z currently? And also, how many Sprintex units ended up out of commission due to flaws/bad maintenance? It would be kind of funny to see a Sprintex current status list of forum users known to have/had a Sprintex for the CR-Z.
so I know Litz, Hiep and Holly all had theirs get shredded.

Holly's was just the gears - which had to be sourced as part of a whole new

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
So, what you are saying is, if the problem is not just bearings needing replacement, then we are SCREWED eventually?
Not entirely if you catch the problem early enough. If you are wise enough to do the vent mod and a vented hood then you should never have to deal with the problem for a couple years or decades. Ive had my SC in service for at least a year and it once had a life on a GE8 Fit for some time. So far I've never has a single issue with it. Just make sure you keep the gear case cool and keep it topped off with the appropriate amount of oil. This SC happens to be one of the easiest to do an oil change on. Its slanted just enough that you can remove the change the oil without taking the entire blower off the engine.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
@tikeybun Speaking of the oil vent mod, when adding oil, do you just use a 60ml syringe with plastic tubing that you slip through the vent mod?
I use a 100ml syringe and fill it about halfway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
depends on how much you value your time and how much you want to stand on principle. I'm very certain that they neglectfully killed @litz 's unit and quite frankly refuse to support them. It took me about 30-45 minutes to track down the right parts, and the price difference against JBP was negligible against their drive snout rebuild components (which are only available as part of the complete rebuild kit).

If you don't have the skillset to find parts on your own, then feel free to go with the JBP kit - it is a comprehensive one-stop-shop for all the components you need. I ordered from 4 different places to get all the components I need, and only the components I need.

@HiepSTA are you the same Hiep on facebook that has a unit currently at JBP because it re-failed after like 40 miles?
yep thats me =( just got the supercharger back earlier this week and reinstalled it, dealing with a major vacuum leak and that terrible metallic gurgling sound everyone has mentioned having to some degree, i am starting to feel like that's just the noise it makes and in some videos its louder than others... we will see. gotta deal with this vacuum leak first.

@Outatime atime I'm so glad you found one! I sent you a PM with my phone number and would be happy to help with the install and tuning stuff, i have a base map that you can use =)
lets meet up sometime soon and talk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I still have a copy of the install instructions for the kit on my Google Drive and I'm sure there are others with the install instructions if anyone needs the instructions.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Where’s the best place to install the hood vents on the CRZ for practicality??
View attachment 67379
Id compare to the Seibon VS style hood with the side vents. Those vents are placed in a good spot for sooling effeciancy. One vent is right on top of the intake and the other vent is right on top of the SC gear box. Those with the VS sytyle hood can probably chime in. I'm running a Seibon CF hood with the center vent and it seems to be doing a very efficiant job at cooling the SC gear case down.

Reactions: ZooGambler

·
2,230 Posts
Maybe not even a whole 3"

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

That placement puts it right about here relative to the sprintex:

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

We also determined that this would need the middle 2 vanes of the vent to be trimmed in order to clear the body of the supercharger about like so:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Grille

2681 - 2700 of 2708 Posts