Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

2481 - 2500 of 2537 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone, I recently installed my sprintex and the supplementary ECU and everything runs great but while on my test drive today I kept hearing a noise while the car was in gear and in giving it gas. its not the whine of the supercharger but rather a sort of metal sounding noise. tomorrow Im going to go for a short drive again and I'll see if I can get is on camera. it seems to be happen was soon as I start giving it some gas, then it goes away and comes back higher in the rev range along with the whine of the SC. thanks for any help and insight you can give me!

-Brandon

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
Could be you pulleys tapping together briefly, just as you hit the throttle. If so, it's your auto tensioner position you should check (should be in the center of the three hash marks.) To give your belt a little more tension, put a spacer between the sprintex body and the idler pulley bracket.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
I checked it before and after the drive and it was almost on the middle hashmark, ill check again in the morning though.
Oh yeah, since you said it comes back at the higher rev range, it might also be the top of the sprintex tapping on the underside of the hood. Just enough clearance if there's zero engine movement, but you can get a hasport dog-bone engine mount, and that might help with the engine movement (I actually cut a notch in my OEM's hood bracing to give it ample space.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh yeah, since you said it comes back at the higher rev range, it might also be the top of the sprintex tapping on the underside of the hood. Just enough clearance if there's zero engine movement, but you can get a hasport dog-bone engine mount, and that might help with the engine movement (I actually cut a notch in my OEM's hood bracing to give it ample space.)
I had my younger brother take some videos while driving, my auto tensioner is almost in the middle of the hash marks and I have already cut a small hole in my hood in the spot where the supercharger was hitting. in the video it may be a little hard to hear but as I accelerate there is a sort of "stringy" or "scratchy" metal sound. The sound was not there before installing the sprinter so I'm really not sure what it would be.
IMG_8010.JPG

these are the two videos of the noise, one with the windows down and one with the windows up.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
I couldn't detect anything unusual in the videos, but I think I was hearing the sound of the shift lever more than anything.... Is it a new Sprintex, or did you buy it used. If used, how many miles were on it? Asking, because I'm thinking it could be the bearings, if it's a used sprintex and it was driven at any point in time while low on oil. If that's the case or not, check your oil level every week and top it off, until you get an idea of how long you can let it go between checking, so you NEVER let it run low.

Other than that, it's still a mystery sound. You could have your brother look at the pulleys while you have the car running and put a little load on the engine (set e-brake and let the clutch start to engage....) That will show you if there's any sound coming from the auto tensioner, but it looks like it's dead-nuts on the location mark. Sorry, I can't think of anything else it might be except for those three... 1) belt too loose; 2) hood clearance; 3) bearings going/gone bad

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had my younger brother take some videos while driving, my auto tensioner is almost in the middle of the hash marks and I have already cut a small hole in my hood in the spot where the supercharger was hitting. in the video it may be a little hard to hear but as I accelerate there is a sort of "stringy" or "scratchy" metal sound. The sound was not there before installing the sprinter so I'm really not sure what it would be.

these are the two videos of the noise, one with the windows down and one with the windows up.
I definitely hear something odd around the 7 second mark of the first video, I don't recall my Sprintex ever making a noise like that before. Was anything else done to the car while it was installed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I definitely hear something odd around the 7 second mark of the first video, I don't recall my Sprintex ever making a noise like that before. Was anything else done to the car while it was installed?
I couldn't detect anything unusual in the videos, but I think I was hearing the sound of the shift lever more than anything.... Is it a new Sprintex, or did you buy it used. If used, how many miles were on it? Asking, because I'm thinking it could be the bearings, if it's a used sprintex and it was driven at any point in time while low on oil. If that's the case or not, check your oil level every week and top it off, until you get an idea of how long you can let it go between checking, so you NEVER let it run low.

Other than that, it's still a mystery sound. You could have your brother look at the pulleys while you have the car running and put a little load on the engine (set e-brake and let the clutch start to engage....) That will show you if there's any sound coming from the auto tensioner, but it looks like it's dead-nuts on the location mark. Sorry, I can't think of anything else it might be except for those three... 1) belt too loose; 2) hood clearance; 3) bearings going/gone bad
Thanks for the help guys, I figured out the issue. I had 91in the tank so there was engine pinging/knock because the fuel was detonating earlier than it should have. I syphoned out all the 91 and filled it with 93 and after getting the 93 cycling through all the fuel lines the noise I was hearing was gone. I thought I had put 93 in the tank before doing the install but I guess when I asked for premium they pumped in 91 instead.

·
Red&Black
6,025 Posts
Nope, not here. Only problem I had was the idle pulley running too close to the belt passing up the other side; had to put a little sim between the idler bracket and the sprintex (was making a claining sound at low RPM.)

Release/remove the belt tension, and see if it that pulley rolls freely, otherwise, check supercharger oil level and/or change it.... You'll get some churping from your belt if you don't cut/slice (when cutting a wider one down to four ribs) cleanly, making sure not to have any extra width hanging off the outer rib.
@saintjimmy Did you ever figure out your noise?

@talhasadiq700 did you ever figure out your pulley noise?

·
Registered
44 Posts
@saintjimmy Did you ever figure out your noise?
Looks like I am having same bearing noise like him.
Before that noise, I had normal squeezing bearing and belt noise, so I changed idle pulley DAYCO 89029 fixed well.
After a while I am having same noise like he does.
I am pretty sure that the noise from belt tensioner bearing.

Sprintex are selling Idler Pulley 60mm (Part# 140-110055) MSRP $39.00
But I want to find replacement on RockAuto.. There should be one.
Looks like Dayco 89550 will fit there, but not sure..

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
Before that noise, I had normal squeezing bearing and belt noise, so I changed idle pulley DAYCO 89029 fixed well.

I have contacted sprintex twice about getting an idler pulley. They will have their warehouse open back up on the 15th of May. I can finally get the correct belt/pulley size combo for the sprintex. Been running a machined idler pulley and a 6 rib cut into a 4 rib belt. It's starting to squeak occasionally on cold start. It's a dayco belt and I've heard they are notorious for squeaking.

Reactions: HondaHolly

·
Red&Black
6,025 Posts

Turn that damn air conditioning off! 😂

My noise has been fixed by a shop. It ended up being the auto tensioner itself. Under certain loads/RPM, the arm which normall moves front to back for tension would also have a little side to side wiggle movement and it made a rattling sound as it was doing this and hitting its housing/base. Changed the auto tensioner and that’s gone now.
But now I’ve noticed that the idler pulley attached to the idler bracket is wobbling when the car is running. And when the car isn’t running I am able to wiggle it easily and it makes a clicking noise. If it’s not one things it’s another...

·
Red&Black
6,025 Posts
When I had sent litz video of the wobbling pulley he pointed out that I have an extra metal plate/spacer thing on the outside of my idler pulley. It’s been there forever, probably since Sprintex install by original owner (romiata).
The first pic is litz’s car, the second is mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure how many of you are running this with a Flashpro but if anyone is interested I'm willing to make my tune available to try.
Unfortunately the tune is locked by my tuner so changes can't be made.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Not sure how many of you are running this with a Flashpro but if anyone is interested I'm willing to make my tune available to try.
Unfortunately the tune is locked by my tuner so changes can't be made.
What injectors are you running? My tune is setup for Accord V6 injectors with KN intake, Tegiwa decat pipe, HPD exhaust and Maxbore TB with the sprintex.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What injectors are you running? My tune is setup for Accord V6 injectors with KN intake, Tegiwa decat pipe, HPD exhaust and Maxbore TB with the sprintex.
I'm running 410cc with cat so on your setup it'll probably run too lean

·
Registered
10 Posts
anyone have a sprintex supercharger they want to sell? have a 2011 honda crz here was thinking about getting one but looks like they are discontinued .

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
anyone have a sprintex supercharger they want to sell? have a 2011 honda crz here was thinking about getting one but looks like they are discontinued .

2481 - 2500 of 2537 Posts