Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

2441 - 2460 of 2501 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Finally!! Belt and idler pulley issue has been fixed. Car scheduled for some time on the dyno this Friday. Show of hands, how many of you have a Sprintex and how many miles have you put on the Sprintex? I'm curious to see if this kit will hold up to daily use and the occasional track day.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Finally!! Belt and idler pulley issue has been fixed. Car scheduled for some time on the dyno this Friday. Show of hands, how many of you have a Sprintex and how many miles have you put on the Sprintex? I'm curious to see if this kit will hold up to daily use and the occasional track day.
mine had ca. 18k miles on it according to EJ. still spins perfectly with no detectable bearing lash.

·
Registered
735 Posts
New member of the Sprintex family here. She feels great and I'm absolutely in love with the supercharger whine. I did pop a p050a code when I started it up. Hondata has the option to disable the code. Tuner said they can disable it if it comes back after clearing codes.

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
everything is fine ... the car has been standing for three months ... I'm in no hurry
Oh, I just realized you have hondata, while I'm using KTuner, so I'm not sure it any pics will help....

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
When idling does anyone else’s Sprintex have a grindy metal whirring noise? It’s hard to capture on video with all the other engine ticking. I’ve always wondered if that’s normal.
I have romiata’s CRZ, so the Sprintex has been used ALOT and has been installed for many years. How many exactly I’m not sure - I’d have to dig in his old build thread.

·
Registered
735 Posts
When idling does anyone else’s Sprintex have a grindy metal whirring noise? It’s hard to capture on video with all the other engine ticking. I’ve always wondered if that’s normal.
I have romiata’s CRZ, so the Sprintex has been used ALOT and has been installed for many years. How many exactly I’m not sure - I’d have to dig in his old build thread.
When was the last time you checked/changed out the gear fluid? I do hear noise from mine but have assumed it's the twin screw propellors making the noise.

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
Gear fluid? I have some bottle of special oil that came with the car - I’m not at home so I can’t remember the name. I think it’s for gears lol? But I had it changed before I brought it to the dragon in 2018. So it’s been maybe 3000 miles since it’s been changed. It’s always made the noise though. Maybe I’ll try to get it on video next week. I may drive it next week - salt has been washed away and it’s going to be in 50s around thanksgiving!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Gear fluid? I have some bottle of special oil that came with the car - I’m not at home so I can’t remember the name. I think it’s for gears lol? But I had it changed before I brought it to the dragon in 2018. So it’s been maybe 3000 miles since it’s been changed. It’s always made the noise though. Maybe I’ll try to get it on video next week. I may drive it next week - salt has been washed away and it’s going to be in 50s around thanksgiving!
The install instructions say to use redline 75-w90 ns gear fluid. Might be time to check fluid and change it out.

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
No odd noise at idle, @HondaHolly , but check to see if the oil in the Sprintex is full and clean. To check, mine's usually so clean, it's hard to see on the dip-stick, so I lay the stick on a paper towel to see what part of the dip-stick the oil pulls away and into the paper towel. When Raubin owned it, and was at the Dragon (forget what year that was, 2017??) I "changed" the oil, but it was so low and dirty/gritty, I couldn't believe it was still spinning away with no turmoil.
(oh, and screw the dip-stick in to check proper level)
If you check/change the oil, and you still hear that sound at idle, place a tube to your ear and direct the other end to the main pulley bearing, then to the top and sides of the Sprintex to see if you can pin-point the sound.

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
Good idea about the tube! I need to use up a roll of toilet paper now :lol:

Yes I remember having her tell me that, so I had a shop change the fluid before Dragon 2018 along with serpentine belt.

It may have gone so long without changing something inside is permanently making that noise. ? I just put 12V back in this CRZ today and will be driving it the next few days. Will try to remember to get a video of the sound.

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
I took a video before putting it back into storage - winter weather is coming back.
I need to grab a toilet paper tube from a family member so I can play doctor and pinpoint where in the Sprintex it’s coming from - I buy tubeless toilet paper xD

Yes, I am aware my belt sounds like sh!t. I have a Continental Poly-V belt that’s supposed to have “quiet channel technology” but haven’t installed yet. The squeal goes away with water or talcum powder, so it’s most likely not a bearing/pulley.

Listen for the metal whirring or purring noise. Does anyone else’s do this? If so, is yours quieter?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Not sure if mine sounds the same. I don't have any belt squeel. If your internals are worn out you can get a rebuild kit for about $350 from Jon bon performance.

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
Not sure if mine sounds the same. I don't have any belt squeel. If your internals are worn out you can get a rebuild kit for about $350 from Jon bon performance.
Wow! A rebuild kit is available? ....Found the site for Jon Bond Performance, after google tried to get me to go to Jon bon Jovi, lol.

I don't think it's time for a rebuild, @HondaHolly because I don't hear any difference between yours and Josh's, and it actually sounded okay before/after changing the oil when Raubin had it. I was impressed that it was still intact. :) But you might just be "hearing things," so my diagnosis is that you're suffering from PTS, and not PTSD, what with all the other issues you've had with the white one.

·
Super Moderator
5,551 Posts
You can also use a wrench handle or other solid object. Know anyone with a stethoscope( mechanic ones are not to expensive ) ?

https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-63691.html $4.79

Good idea about the tube! I need to use up a roll of toilet paper now :lol:

Yes I remember having her tell me that, so I had a shop change the fluid before Dragon 2018 along with serpentine belt.

It may have gone so long without changing something inside is permanently making that noise. ? I just put 12V back in this CRZ today and will be driving it the next few days. Will try to remember to get a video of the sound.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I didn’t see Josh’s video the first time I saw his post - glazed over it. Just watched it now and yes it sounds similar! Whirring and some metal gargling noises LOL
That noise is probably the gears or the twin screws in the blower.

2441 - 2460 of 2501 Posts