Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

TOV said:
Fresh Looks, a New 6-speed Automatic Transmission and Upgraded Technology Highlight 2012 TL Changes

TORRANCE, Calif., Feb. 9, 2011 – Making its debut at the 2011 Chicago Auto show, Acura’s newly refined TL delivers fresh looks, improved performance and upgraded technology. Most apparent are the visual changes that incorporate new front and rear styling, but also present is a new Sequential SportShift 6-speed automatic transmission for improved performance and fuel economy, a revised interior and a host of technology upgrades.

“The 2012 Acura TL is refined, yet aggressive,” said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. “Already known for its great performance, the enhanced TL has a sophisticated new look and an all-new 6-speed automatic transmission that will take performance to the next level.”

The 2012 TL’s refined new look includes a redesigned front bumper with improved aerodynamics, a revised grille, updated headlights and turn signals, a new fog light design and a shorter front overhang. At the rear, a new rear bumper incorporates a significantly repositioned license plate opening and smaller rear reflectors, while updated taillights and a thinner rear trunk edge trim add to a sophisticated new look.

To increase performance, a new Sequential SportShift 6-speed automatic transmission is applied on all TL models with automatic transmission. In addition to incorporating engineering enhancements aimed at improving efficiency, a sport-minded double-kick-down feature lets the driver command a double downshift— such as from Fifth to Third gear. The Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system also creates a “blip” of the throttle to help match gear speeds while downshifting.

In addition, the transmission teams with a new multi-clutch torque converter that not only reduces heat build-up during operation, but also allows for lock-up activation during a much wider range of driving conditions— which helps generate improved fuel economy. As a result, city/highway fuel economy is now 20/29 mpg*— an increase of 3 mpg in highway driving over the 2011 TL. To further improve operating efficiency, the TL’s standard 3.5L V-6 engine receives a host of friction-reduction technologies while a revised air inlet system provides cooler air for both the 3.5L and 3.7L engines.

For 2012, two distinct versions of Acura’s performance luxury sedan remain: a 280 horsepower, front-wheel-drive TL along with a powerful 305 hp TL paired with Acura’s exclusive Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™). The performance-minded 6MT model will continue to be offered in the 2012 TL SH-AWD lineup, helping broaden the TL’s appeal among luxury performance sedan buyers.

Both the TL and TL SH-AWD™ models offer an available Technology Package which includes the Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting™ and AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™, and an Acura/ELS Surround® 410-watt Premium Audio System. For 2012, the hard disk drive (HDD) based navigation system increases in size to 60 gigabytes, map coverage is more expansive, USB connection speed is faster, and the full VGA monitor is brighter with even richer colors. Also available is a new Advance Package that incorporates all-new ventilated front seats along with a new blind spot information (BSI) system that alerts the driver of other vehicles that are in close proximity.

Standard on the 2012 TL are new 17x8-inch 7-spoke aluminum wheels with P245/50R17 all-season tires for confident year-round performance. The TL SH-AWD® comes standard with 18x8-inch 5-spoke aluminum wheels with low-profile P245/45R18 tires for more agile handling. Finally, when equipped with the available Advance Package, the TL comes with 18x8-inch 5-spoke wheels while TL SH-AWD™ is fitted with19x8-inch split five-spoke aluminum wheels with new performance minded P245/40R19 all-season tires.

Along with every new Acura, the new 2012 TL is covered by a comprehensive 4-year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper limited warranty and a 6-year/70,000 miles powertrain limited warranty. Additional benefits of ownership include Acura Total Luxury Care® (TLC®), which provides free 24-hour roadside assistance, concierge service and trip routing.
article found at http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=958088

Link 1 to more pictures
Link 2 to more pictures

·
Registered
675 Posts
the grill looks hella better than the 2011. can't wait to see the rear of it haha

·
Registered
675 Posts

i think the rear of the 2011 look a lil better than the 2012 imo.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Looks much better. Front and rear is less slabby, reflectors shrunk, and the lower chin and rear have been re-finished to visually hide the bulk of the car. Per press release the overhang was shaved off a bit as well. I wonder if the CR-Z will get that treatment in a few years.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
what? are u kidding?? i don't see why this car gets so much hate... i honestly liked the original design and this one just enhanced but at the same time softened the look...
im with gm3 on this one. the 3g TL was one of the best Acura designs in recent memory. This new TL was gross. Every change they made to the new one is a welcome one. I think the 2012 looks leaps and bounds better but in general i dont like it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i would probably go get the 10-11 tl version and get the ronjon grill "a" bar option. it looks nice as if its oem

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry, my mom had a 3G TL and while i agree it was a GREAT car... i don't really consider that in the same class as the 4G... the 4g is larger, performs better, better features, interior is much better (although i LOVED the blue dash lighting on the 3g)... exterior is subjective, but overall i LOVE it... mostly the back is what i was attracted to at first... and that helped me get over that grill :lol: but after i saw options like the RonJon and just simple painting, i was hooked... not to mention the fact that it's offered with 6MT SH-AWD... 3g has nothing on that...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
sorry, my mom had a 3G TL and while i agree it was a GREAT car... i don't really consider that in the same class as the 4G... the 4g is larger, performs better, better features, interior is much better (although i LOVED the blue dash lighting on the 3g)... exterior is subjective, but overall i LOVE it... mostly the back is what i was attracted to at first... and that helped me get over that grill :lol: but after i saw options like the RonJon and just simple painting, i was hooked... not to mention the fact that it's offered with 6MT SH-AWD... 3g has nothing on that...
i like the new drive train and the new interior. Theres no doubt the 4G is nicer in those regards. The exterior of the 4G does not do it for me though. As always, every acura including this TL is a great value for the money but i dont think i could drive it. i dont think its an attractive car... I know the 3G needed a refresh. I like the TSX redesign - I do not like the TL.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
what? are u kidding?? i don't see why this car gets so much hate... i honestly liked the original design and this one just enhanced but at the same time softened the look...
Personally I think it is marginally better at best. The earlier (last generation) looked much better IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
apparently that's the general consensus on the 3G TL... someone on another forum said that "ppl praise the 3G TL like Jesus made it." :lol: i have to agree with that statement... again, my mom had an '05 TL that i drove a quite a few times and i LOVED that car inside and out... but i really think the 4G TL is a step up if you look at specs and overall size... it's a larger car... i'd honestly compare the 3G TL to the 2G TSX since that one got bigger too... they are more proportionate to each other than the 3G to 4G...

i'd say what killed the TL sales is the name it carried over even tho it's a different car now... just like, to some ppl, the CR-Z's reviews aren't great b/c of the words "sporty" and "hybrid" put together and the car not being able to beat an S2k around the track while getting +50mpg... it's strange how much power is in a name...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.