Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here's some info on Econ mode from a Honda technical page:

"Econ Mode
During Econ mode operation, the engine's responsiveness is tuned for optimal economy, the electric motor
assist gives priority to fuel efficiency and the air conditioning system can reduce its overall load on the engine.

Pushing the Econ button initiates a range of functions that increase the fuel economy of the CR-Z's Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) system:
DBW throttle angle optimized for smoother acceleration and maintains lowest possible engine RPM Reduces automatic climate control blower fan speed and minimizes A/C compressor engagement whenever possible

CVT (if equipped) transmission ratios are optimized higher (relative to engine RPM) for greater economy

Limits power and torque by approximately 4 percent (full responsiveness is provided at wide-open- throttle)

Cruise control uses a smaller throttle opening angle whenever possible

Steering assist is normal"

Perhaps the biggest contributors to seeing your MPG gauge go up are Econ mode's 4% reduced power, lowered aircon compressor use, and more "lazy" cruise control throttle application. I dunno though. :)

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Yes, it's always a mystery between what the engineers meant to happen, and how the users think of something else. I don't remember the IMA being increased under Econ, but it's an interesting and clever detail. I hardly remember to ever switch out of Normal mode, and in many runs up the 8300 feet over to Tahoe, I've never seen my battery deplete- I just drive. Including one run of following a macho pickup at 85 a third of the way, the Z kept right up. His was a diesel, probably one of those tweaked things with 1000 horsepower. We weren't racing, just driving quickly (I was counting on him to deal with the deer for me). Despite the loads and grade, I never got down to two bars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So unlike 99% of you guys here, I'm planning on buying this car for it's fuel efficiency and not so much the sportiness (though I don't mind that :) )

I'm a hypermiler, and don't know if anyone else here plans on doing that or modifying solely for efficiency, but my question is...

what mpg numbers do you really think we can get? gen 1 insight numbers maybe? (60+mpg)
I just bought a 2012 CR-Z 6 sp manual. The most MPG I was able to get was 46 and that was going about 56 MPH. Since then, in Eco Mode I have been averaging 40 MPG. I have been trying to get better MPG but am very new to the hybrid, frankly, I feel like I am learning how to drive for the first time with this car! :) Good luck with yours, I hope you get the mpg you are looking for! Share if you have any tips!

·
Registered
208 Posts
04/06/17

CR-Z Navi GT 2011 MT, 2 Adults.

A round trip from Nottingham to Bourne, Leicestershire UK (108 miles):

Filled the tank full with Shell Vpower.

Got 52.6 MPG on A and B roads at the speed limits in Eco Mode. A/C switched on Auto most of the time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nice job, Gizmo, but you'd have done a bit better with regular gas. Fewer additives, more energy per gallon.
Not sure I can test your what you say about getting better MPG from regular fuels as I have to go by what the Honda CR-Z UK Handbook says:

Page 294:
Fuel Recommendations
Your vehicle is designed to operate on Premium/Super Unleaded petrol with a Research Octane Number (RON) of 95 or higher.

I am no expert but it is mentioned that over time fuel looses Octane and starts going off sitting in the storage tanks at the fuel stations as well as our cars fuel tanks.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Not sure I can test your what you say about getting better MPG from regular fuels as I have to go by what the Honda CR-Z UK Handbook says:

Page 294:
Fuel Recommendations
Your vehicle is designed to operate on Premium/Super Unleaded petrol with a Research Octane Number (RON) of 95 or higher.
Yes, that came up in another link around here someplace, and we cheeseaters thought it quite odd. They tell us regular here, 89 or whatever.

I am no expert but it is mentioned that over time fuel looses Octane and starts going off sitting in the storage tanks at the fuel stations as well as our cars fuel tanks.
Well, that part's crap. Filling station tanks are refilled at least weekly, and often daily. You need to leave gasoline for months before it starts to go "bad", and underground storage tanks with their virtually constant, cool temperatures are even less susceptible.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, that came up in another link around here someplace, and we cheeseaters thought it quite odd. They tell us regular here, 89 or whatever.

Well, that part's crap. Filling station tanks are refilled at least weekly, and often daily. You need to leave gasoline for months before it starts to go "bad", and underground storage tanks with their virtually constant, cool temperatures are even less susceptible.
89 yeah but you go by MON rather than RON values here in the UK?

Re: Octane:
Excerpt from a webpage - "the General Manager of Melbourne’s Advanced Vehicle Operations, Steve Coates, believes fuel tends to go off in a car’s fuel tank quite quickly once it’s a couple of weeks old."

Found here - AutoSpeed - The Life of Fuel

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
US "octane" numbers are the average of Motor Octane Number and Research Octane Number- MON+RON/2

I don't agree with Steve. True that gasoline will go bad (which keeps Sta Bil in business), and more quickly in a vehicle's tank, but I don't buy it happening in a station's storage tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Going back to MPG figures.
I am in the UK with a 2011 sport. my commute is a mixture of city, rural and dual carriageway so is a fair representation. I am currently getting 59.6mpg average which I believe equates to about 51mpg (US gallon) not amazing but very good I think, no pictures at moment but maybe can get some later if wanted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Drove a 2002 Insight for 15 years, so very used to getting max MPG (without going crazy anyway). With my new 2016 CRZ (CVT) I've gotten 50 mpg often on my 15 mile trip to work which is a little city driving plus country roads. My three tanks of gas have been 43, 44 and 42 MPG. Drove at 70 mph on the freeway a few times and was able to get around 44 mpg. Light on the accelerator and anticipate stops are keys for MPG.

When my Insight was new I would routinely average around 65 mpg for a tank of gas. In its later years it was usually around 56 mpg though, so I'm happy with my Crz. It's sportier, more fun to drive and 43 mpg is still pretty good!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Well, how's this for your hypermiling:

Although I'll allow that some may consider the assistance of the downhill side of the Sierra something of a, well, cheat.
And really, you didn't cheat, you just liberally practiced the "glide" portion of the pulse and glide technique.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I can't keep my foot up far enough for that. I usually run around 38. If it's good enough for tire pressures, it's good enough for miles per gallon.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I finally got a new record with 40 being on economy all the time and not stepping on the gas so much. But, so many hills around here is quickly dropped to around 35.

Seems like the highway around here really KILLS the MPG quickly. I'll drop like 5 MPG just looking at the highway!!

141 - 160 of 198 Posts