Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it’s 5 days and 250 miles into ownership of a UK CRZ Sport in Milano Red. First thought has to be, “What a headturner”. I just can’t believe how many people stop, stare, point, double–take etc. I’m not a poseur but this car could really change all that!

Driving impressions so far are mixed – My favourite part has to be the three modes, especially being able to hit sport for overtaking or a steep hill. The start stop function is the most annoying, it still seems a bit random and pointless at times – stopping the engine when going from first-through neutral (engine stops) to reverse (engine starts). I feel a time in neutral delay would help to desensitise the whole thing, but I guess I will get used to it and maybe even love it?

Visibility is not an issue (I thought it would be) but have found no problems reversing and manoeuvring etc. (the reversing sensors aren’t the necessity I thought they would be).

Handling is good, can be a bit firm driving slowly over Britain’s pot hole infested roads but its worth it for the sure footedness that you get when driving spiritedly.

Build quality is excellent, no rattles, good panel fit and a reasonably good paint finish (slight orange peel but not detrimental).

Audio system is very good for a standard fitment, and having a separate subwoofer and tweeters allows for a good degree of sound customisation. Plugging the I -Phone in for the first time I didn’t need to fiddle it just worked – music on demand :)

Fuel economy according to the computer is averaging at around 50 mpg – I’m more than happy with that.

The dashboard is great if a little distracting at times – there is just so much information available!! The tree growth makes me smile but I’m sure I’ll never grow three full trees/plants and advance to the next stage!!

Overall I am very happy and would probably say totally happy if it weren’t for the stop-start oddity

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Ktm

Thanks for posting this, very encouraging. Could you expand a bit on the iphone connection? For instance do you plug it into the standard USB cable which is kind of hidden under the centre dash (using a normal iPhone to USB cable?). Does it charge the phone doing that? Does it hook into the iPhone/iPod tunes directly and allow for steering wheel controls for choosing song?

I heard the USB cable will except a normal USB memory key with MP3 files on it separated in subfolders. If it also works with the iPhone/iPod internal song list thats a nice bonus.

I'm looking to use my iPhone 4 as a satnav device, and if I can charge it and use it for my stereo MP3 files all from 1 USB cable I'll be amazed. There's not much around for iPhone 4 car docks yet (especially with the bumper or case attached to the phone), but here is one in the making: iPhone 4 Dock (look at IPM500 on the bottom right), only problem is being screen mounted it might be too far away to see/use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ktm

For instance do you plug it into the standard USB cable which is kind of hidden under the centre dash (using a normal iPhone to USB cable?). Yes

Does it charge the phone doing that? Yes

Does it hook into the iPhone/iPod tunes directly and allow for steering wheel controls for choosing song? Yes

I heard the USB cable will except a normal USB memory key with MP3 files on it separated in subfolders. Yep tried that and you are correct
cord77 see answers above, HTH

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cord77 I posted a reply but it said that it would not appear until it had been moderated so this may appear twice once the moderated version goes on:thumbdown:

For instance do you plug it into the standard USB cable which is kind of hidden under the centre dash (using a normal iPhone to USB cable?) YES

Does it charge the phone doing that? YES

Does it hook into the iPhone/iPod tunes directly and allow for steering wheel controls for choosing song? YES

I heard the USB cable will except a normal USB memory key with MP3 files on it separated in subfolders. Yep tried that and it works as you say

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am using a 16GB pen drive with currently about 1500 songs on it and it plays it perfectly. I just put it on random and let it fire away.

KTM, I agree with pretty much everything you have experienced. I am starting to use the stop/start function more now. At the start I think I was nervous it wouldn't start again, but it hasn't failed me yet.

Good luck with your one.

P.S. Mine is a Red Sport too. Paintwork excellent, I thought.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
stop-start = driver stalling :giggle:

here's two questions for those with 6MT: if this car shuts off in Neutral under 15mph, then starts as soon as you put it into 1st gear... would it start if you try it from 2nd? and how does someone stall in this car if the car turns on when 1st gear is engaged??

·
Registered
163 Posts
Interesting question. I do believe it kicks back in again in any gear, but would like to hear confirmation of that. Also it rules out double de-clutching at low speeds (if anyone bothers doing that these days).

·
Registered
80 Posts
it does kick back in in every gear as soon as the lever is moved into position. as for stalling well my wife has already done that (honest gov it was her!) as it will keep running like evey car while in gear. but the clutch is light as anything and the brakes i find very sharp for such little discs front and back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So.....a few more days have passed and the weather has changed...this lunchtime it was drizzling, the rear screen was covered in water rendering rear vision severely reduced...not a problem I thought above 5mph and the water will blow off.....erm... actually 40+ until it blew off and cleared.....so why didn't the UK model get a rear wiper?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Ktm thats the reason why I wanted the parking sensors!

But there is a product for that, its used on helmets and racecars.. The rain gets no grip at all and falls off even when standing still! You only have to apply 3 times a year or so..

Gone post more info tomorrow at work!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.