Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The color is interesting, looks like atomic blue at night. Some directions depending on lighting it would look dark greenish / light green at times during the day, in the shade would look just blue. What is in that paint, is it the pearl that does it?

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
basic knowledge of paints and elements used in it... keep in mind some of these have multiple characteristics but these are the most common...

Pearl - color seems to have multiple shades depending on lighting ie: from a dark blue to light blue. (NSBP is a good example of this)

Metallic - basically little mirrors... they reflect light making the car seem brighter/shiney in the sun and solid in dark lighting. (SSM is a good example of this)

Opal - similar to pearls but with a "deeper" look to it with sometimes a slight change in hue. (usually used in custom paints and not really found on factory cars)

Plain - exactly what it sounds like... a solid color with no real change in brightness/hue/shade in any light... (Milano Red is a good example of this)

i hope that helps :wavey:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Reminds me of a similar color dynamic with my old dark amethyst pearl Civic hatchback, which chamelioned between dark blue, dark purple, and nearly black. I like colors that are a bit different that way.

·
Registered
314 Posts
so you got Silver? :blink:

:giggle:
Har-de-har-har! So you got, well... invisible?!?! :eek:hsnap:

But seriously, the silver has its own changing color, ranging from a medium silver to close to gray... much darker and less shiny than my former silver car, a Mazda Protege 5:

See the difference?

·
Registered
239 Posts
While what bizzy bear said is true, not all of the color names are true to that nature in real life. The most blatant example would be the black as its not anything special at all even though its labeled a pearl. Also, NSBP isn't really a pearl either it is more of a metallic. Pearlescent colors typically have an oil hue to them when light is reflected on it, drastically changing the color as almost a sort of radiance. The Insight's white is this way, haven't seen the crz in white to notice if its the same.

Edit: It's also possible pearl coats have changed over time to something different than when they first started coming out.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
sorry but the Crystal Black Pearl is exactly that... a pearl color... look closely and you WILL see blue pearls in it... not as much as Nighthawk Black Pearl that Honda also uses... and NSBP IS more of a pearl than metallic... read my descriptions above again and look at the difference in "hue" that the light gives it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
The color is interesting, looks like atomic blue at night. Some directions depending on lighting it would look dark greenish / light green at times during the day, in the shade would look just blue. What is in that paint, is it the pearl that does it?
According to this:

' Such "effects pigments" work on the basis of interference in the layers of material that are dispersed in the paint. This is the same effect that causes soap or oil films to exhibit a range of colors. The wavelength of constructive interference varies with the angle of illumination and view and that results in the range of colors we see. This website provides a nice overview. You might also search for terms like "interference pigment" or "pearlescent pigment" to learn more.'

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
According to this:

' Such "effects pigments" work on the basis of interference in the layers of material that are dispersed in the paint. This is the same effect that causes soap or oil films to exhibit a range of colors. The wavelength of constructive interference varies with the angle of illumination and view and that results in the range of colors we see. This website provides a nice overview. You might also search for terms like "interference pigment" or "pearlescent pigment" to learn more.'
cool link... but that description is of chameleon paint not of pearls alone...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.