Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on my way to work, the transmission light came on and I wasn't able to change gears. The RPM would skyrocket but my car would barely move.
I took it to firestone and they said they don't work on transmissions (great). So I went back to start my car and it felt like it was sputtering and the red battery light would flicker on and off.

Am I screwed here?

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
Manual or CVT? Did you check fluid level? Did you ask firestone to load test under hood battery? If it were mine I would consider having it towed to a Honda dealer or certified mechanic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a CVT. I didn't ask them to test the battery. I was going to call my insurance company and have it towed to Honda to see what they can do but ugh, this is just lame.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do drive it a lot but I rarely ever listen to the radio in accessory mode. I also don’t recall ever changing the fluid either. I’ll check that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had Firestone check the battery and they said it was in great shape. So it's looking like I'm screwed.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
@TheBlitzAce .. how did they test it? For voltage only, or load test it also?

May need to just reseat the cables on the battery.

Did it ever do anything weird before this?

You may want to unplug both cables, let the ECU reset, then plug them back in and test.

Did you get it scanned for any codes?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm honestly not sure how they tested it. I just asked them to do a normal test and they said it looked fine.

It never did anything weird like this, ever.

I'm having Firestone do a complete diagnostic to see if anything seems out of the ordinary.

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
How many miles on the car (CVT?) If you've never changed it, that's what caused your problem. Drain and refill to the proper mark with ONLY Honda recommended CVT fluid. Cross your fingers that it "recovers" from poor maintenance. It's really important for the life of the CVT that you change the fluid regularly. Got my fingers crossed for ya.

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
If they tested with engine running like on a non hybrid then test was not a load test. Load test is done with car not running or battery out of car.

Transmission fluid never changed there is your problem. Since Firestone says they do not do transmissions you need to take it to a Honda dealer or a transmission specialty shop. also make sure the inline filter is changed.
I do drive it a lot but I rarely ever listen to the radio in accessory mode. I also don’t recall ever changing the fluid either. I’ll check that.
I'm honestly not sure how they tested it. I just asked them to do a normal test and they said it looked fine.

It never did anything weird like this, ever.

I'm having Firestone do a complete diagnostic to see if anything seems out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many miles on the car (CVT?) If you've never changed it, that's what caused your problem. Drain and refill to the proper mark with ONLY Honda recommended CVT fluid. Cross your fingers that it "recovers" from poor maintenance. It's really important for the life of the CVT that you change the fluid regularly. Got my fingers crossed for ya.
There are 105k miles on it. I've taken it to Honda about 3-5 times during my time with the car for maintenance, but they really left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I really hate that Honda dealership.
I also asked the tech at Firestone if the transmission fluid was okay and he said it looked fine, so I'm not sure what is going on.

He did say something about two sensors on or near the transmission that is throwing my car outta wack and also said multiple times that replacing those sensors will fix the problem.

I told him to send me the codes it was throwing up on the diagnostic tool, so I'll be getting those shortly.

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
You yourself posted Firestone does not service transmissions. But you are here stating you are letting them service your transmission and replace parts on something they state they are not qualified to service. I hope the particular mechanic working on your transmission is ASE certified (Automotive Service Excellence (ASE Automotive Service Excellence - ASE) in transmissions.

There are 105k miles on it. I've taken it to Honda about 3-5 times during my time with the car for maintenance, but they really left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I really hate that Honda dealership.
I also asked the tech at Firestone if the transmission fluid was okay and he said it looked fine, so I'm not sure what is going on.

He did say something about two sensors on or near the transmission that is throwing my car outta wack and also said multiple times that replacing those sensors will fix the problem.

I told him to send me the codes it was throwing up on the diagnostic tool, so I'll be getting those shortly.

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
Yeah, let's find out what codes you're coming up with. It might be a problem with sensors, but with some problems, a fresh new supply of CVT fluid does wonders (not that it will solve the DTC's, but it's just one thing to do along with any other parts/repairs that may be needed.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alrighty, so the codes that came back were:
P0717
P0420
P0339
The tech said that there were metal filings on the ends of both speed sensors that need to be replaced.
He also recommends transmission service at the dealer but said the new speed sensors will fix the issue.

I do plan on taking it to Honda for the transmission fluid replacement also.

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
P0717
P0420
P0339
The tech said that there were metal filings on the ends of both speed sensors that need to be replaced.
He also recommends transmission service at the dealer but said the new speed sensors will fix the issue.

Have dealer do all the work. If Firestone replaces sensors prior to flush and fill then new sensors will get contaminated and need to be replaced again. They may just need to be cleaned. As in remove filings.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
P0717
P0420
P0339

You need to check the fsm I sent you out.

Pages 14-9, and 14-93

1 - 20 of 21 Posts