Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Goodbye ZOOM... Hello Godspeed

74K views 613 replies 26 participants last post by  CRZY RED 
#1 ·
So far I have had the HPD exhaust and the KN typhoon CAI installed. The exhaust was installed when I had new pads and rotors installed at the performance shop. The CAI was done by me. Was a HUGE pain to remove all of the old rubber hoses from the throttle body and the thermostat but other then that was a straightforward install. Will probably take 1-2 weeks of driving for the car to adjust since i also disconnected the negative battery terminal during the install. Probably saved about $250ish versus having a shop do the install. Also got my Hondata tuner in the other day and will have to play around with it. So far drive-ability is not an issue with the new intake. To anyone that attempts to install this intake you will definitely need the rubber caps as the thermostat connection will puke out coolant unless you plug it even on a cold car. The throttle body connection did not drain out much coolant. Sound is definitely better then stock.:grin2:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not big into mods, but I also added the K&N and the HPD and I think it was money well spent. Between the look and the sound of the HPD exhaust, I'm sure most people would agree that it is worth the cost. It's hard to tell how much of a performance boost it provided, but it sure feels and sounds stronger and faster, so that alone was worth it to me. It makes a fun car even more fun to drive, especially in sport mode. Enjoy!

#3 ·
Thanks. I've sorta neglected this car for a while and did most of my modding to my Mustang Ecoboost. I've been trying to keep this as a reliable daily driver however the itch to mod has gotten the best of me. These mods are just the beginning.

#4 ·
Uh, oh, I started out with a few mods--just two, actually--and thought that was all the extra stuff I was going to put on my CR-Z. Just Mugen suspension and catback exhaust. Not much more you can do with a CR-Z, right? >:) I like that center exhaust you've got--fits well with the car, and I think it should have come standard. :grin2: Nice to see someone else starting up a Build Thread!

#6 ·
Just another quick update on the car. Forgot to upload profile pics of the car. Here are some pics of the car with the Mugen style wing and the pioneer radio. Too bad Honda didn't put Android Auto and carplay in the 2016 CRZ or I would have traded in for that. I still need to put Clazzios on the seats. Someone had some nice ones with black leather and blue stitching and the CRZ emblem on the headrest.

Attachments

#7 ·
Thinking of adding the Spoon Camshaft kit to ZOOM with the Spoon throttle body. Does anyone know if the camshaft kit will work with the CVT? I know that MPG's will take a hit since the car will run with two open valves instead of one open valve at low rpm. Tuning wise I will get a dyno tune with my Hondata.

#10 ·
Oh, I just noticed you were looking into the Spoon throttle body, but you can save yourself about $900 if you have maxbore.com increase the bore on the OEM throttle body. I did that to my Sprintex/CVT set up, but I haven't seriously looked into the Spoon Cam yet, but I don't see any issue with using it in the CVT.

#8 ·
So for the next mod, I plan on doing the HPD suspension kit and a strut tower brace. I installed a Ford performance strut tower brace on the mustang and it makes the ride much stiffer around corners and turns. I'm looking for ways to improve the suspension and handing around turns and corners. The HPD suspension lowers the car about .5 inches and the cost is about $1050.

#9 ·
HPD suspension sounds like a good choice, but don't spend (waste) any money on the strut tower brace--no improvement to be found there, but DO get the Spoon front sway bar--it makes a magical difference.
https://www.kamispeed.com/Spoon-Sports-Front-Sway-Bar-Honda-CR-Z-2011-p/sps.51300-zf1-000.htm

Instead of strut tower brace, get some beatrush pillowball mounts:
https://www.kamispeed.com/Beatrush-Front-PillowBall-Mount-CR-Z-Fit-Insight-p/br.s134403tm-fp.htm

I have the Mugen suspension, Spoon FSB, and Beatrush PillowBall mounts as my FIRST mods, and that's a great combination.:grin2:

#12 ·
Gonna pull the trigger and get the Progress rear sway bar. Should be an easy install. Installed a complete exhaust on my EcoBoost and it took about 5 hours. This should only take 30 minutes to 1 hour for the install. This will be a cheap first suspension mod at $150. The good news is I have a shop I can go to where the rate is $9/ hr to rent a lift.

#13 ·
Yes, they are quick and easy to install. Three bolts on either side, but one is a tight fit to put into the spring perch, but you can get it in with the right technique (although some people I know, just left it out, and are running with 3 bolts on the left side; 2 bolts on the right.)

#14 ·
After I do the Progress rear sway bar, I might do some beatrush underbody support bars. Just from looking at some pictures from Kamispeed, it looks like these will be somewhat an easy bolt-on mod and provide some great handling.

#15 ·
Just got the Progress rear sway bar in today. Cant wait to install it and see how ZOOM handles on the twists and turns.

Attachments

Reactions: CrzyCRZ
#17 ·
Next will be the Spoon front sway bar. I've heard a front sway bar provides the best handling improvement

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Just installed progress rear sway bar. Roads are too wet to have fun in ZOOM today. I know some good twisty roads I can take to work tomorrow.

Reactions: Spdbump and litz
#20 ·
Love the Progress rear sway bar. Body roll is much less then it was with the stock setup. Cant wait to have the Spoon front sway bar installed on the car. Then the car will really shine on the twisties.

Reactions: Spdbump
#21 ·
Ordered some beatrush parts from Kamispeed with a black Friday coupon. %15 discount on everything.

Beatrush front member support bar
Beatrush front and rear performance bar

These should also be an easy install...

#22 ·
Parts came in the mail but the directions are in Japanese. Guess I better start learning Japanese before I attempt the install of these Beatrush parts.

#25 ·
I've seen that thread. I spent a couple of hours looking at the pics in that thread as well as looking at the install sheet provided by Beatrush and think I have a good understanding of what needs to be done to install the parts. I'm going to the Auto Skills center at Ft. Belvoir to install the parts on Saturday. Lift is only $9/hr plus a $5 shop fee plus $5 for air tools. Cost me only $55 to install an exhaust and downpipe on my Mustang. Room mate spent $295 to have a shop install only a cat-back on his Mustang GT. For the easy bolt-on stuff this will save me tons of $$$. I will try to post pics of the install.

Reactions: litz and Spdbump
#26 ·
Just finished installing the Beatrush parts. Only issue I ran into is that the rear plastic cover doesn't sit flush because of the rear performance bar. Only cost me $37 to use the lift at ft. Belvoir. Car feels much stiffer around the twisties and sharp turns. Next will be the Beatrush underbody panel to replace the plastic piece of garbage.

#27 ·
Here is the chintzy piece of metal that the rear performance bar replaced.

#28 ·
Finally!! My Clazzio's are shipping today. Ordered light grey with Dark Grey CR-Z embroidery to match the interior color as close as possible. Hopefull they arrive in time for the 3-4 hr trip down south for christmas.

#29 ·
Just installed Clazzios. Fitament is good. Still needs some fine tuning for a perfect fit.

Reactions: CrzyCRZ and litz
#31 ·
There's a good thought. Took a 3.5 hr trip down south with them. Very comfy ride with them.

#32 ·
Thinking of getting a tegiwa downpipe for ZOOM. Direct from the manufacturer wouldd be about $120 shipped from the UK. Should be easy enough to install and won't throw a cel since the upstream cat will remain on the car. Hoping this will add a little noise to the car. If it does cause any issues I can always put the OEM pipe back on.

#34 ·
Tegiwa downpipe is on order for ZOOM. Should be an easy install. The hardest part will be getting off an O2 sensor that has been sitting for 6+ years on the stock pipe. Hoping to make the car a little louder and get some free popcorn. High rpm cvt shifting seems to be the only way to make the HPD exhaust pop for now. No CEL will be an added bonus as the car requires emission testing every 2 years in NOVA.

#36 ·
I need to get a 59mm throttle body. So far the engine is happy with the K&N Typhoon intake. No tune as of yet. If only there was an e-tuning solution similar to the one I use for the EcoBoost Mustang. Just submit a list of mods to BAMA and they send you an email tune in 2-4 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.