Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Fiancee and I are discussing getting another car. She has a 2008 Fit Sport 5 speed, and recently got a new job in downtown Atlanta and she sits in traffic lots and lots. So we decided to add a new addition to our fleet in the flavor of an automatic.

We had the intent of going to our local Honda dealership to look into the Civic HF. Once we got there, we were informed that the HF's are not in production currently due to the disaster in Japan, and that they aren't really sure what the schedule of Civics is going to be because of the disaster.

Could be BS, but doesn't matter. I will explain why in a bit.

So we first went to look at a Civic LX automatic. Nice car actually, it has quite a bit of cool technology in the interface. We weren't sure if we wanted to test drive it because it isn't an HF which was the model we were truly interested in .

So we took a stroll and happened upon a CR-Z. A car that I had dismissed because it wasn't a true CR-X replacement, and I haven't warmed up to hybrids as I feel they are somewhat unproven. But we got to talking with the salesman and he asked the magical question, "Have you driven one?" I had not.

I am no stranger to Hondas. I have owned: Integra GS-R, 2 EF Civic Si Hatchbacks, CR-X Si, TSX, and currently an S2000 CR, in addition to our Fit Sport.

So we hopped in a CR-Z CVT EX to test it out. I was immediately impressed with how quiet it is and how it rides much better than our Fit. I also thought the fit and finish was pretty good. So we then took out a Civic LX and I was completely let down with it, they comment on the refinement, and how quiet it is, but the CR-Z is head and shoulders above even the new Civic sedans.

So it looks like we may be picking up a new CR-Z CVT after our wedding in June, a car I hadn't previously considered.

I was impressed with how quiet the car is, how well it handles for what is it, how well put together it is, the radio, the looks, and how it makes you smile as you drive it. I would prefer a manual, but as I stated above we need an automatic. So I am a convert thus far...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really think you did yourself a favor. I had written off getting a CR-Z because of the negative reviews and I too was going to get a Civic. I went ahead and test drove one and loved it. However I was still just about to get a Civic LX because I got a really good deal, but even with that I would not have kicked myself so right before I signed the papers I changed my mind and I got my CR-Z and I could not be happier.

·
Registered
249 Posts
the CR-Z is head and shoulders above even the new Civic sedans.
The new GEN9 Civic is a total let down!
Everywhere I read, it seems the vast majority of people who have owned Hondas in the past, are not at all impressed with it.
I sat in the LX sedan and was mortified with the design of the interior, it just looks like it was rushed to market and things that should have been refined were labelled "that's good enough"

·
Registered
249 Posts
If the CR-X never existed, 90% of the people who don't like the CR-Z would love it.
I am amazed by the number of people who dismiss the CR-Z for no other reason than they want it to replace the CR-X.
Well let me just stand up and proudly say - I'm one of those people, so be amazed
I have a 1990 CRX-Si in my garage at home, and I want a modern version
The CR-Z is 85% great, but it's just not good enough as it is
Maybe in time Honda will give it some power, and then I will buy
I don't think there is any problem with the CR-Z as it is now, I just think the problem is Honda was not smart enough to come to market with 2 models at the same time, one would be what is available now and the other would be an Si or a Type R
They sure as heck would be selling better had they done so, as it is, they cannot even get to their goal of 1,500 units per month

·
Registered
669 Posts
They sure as heck would be selling better had they done so, as it is, they cannot even get to their goal of 1,500 units per month
Actually, I thought the goal was 15,000 for the year. This would be about 1200-1300 per month. FWIW, they did 1685 in March and 1819 last month. They are surely benefiting from the spike in fuel prices, but will also suffer from lack of inventory through the summer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.