Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still not interested in buying until I see what Honda intends to do in a couple years regarding a more powerful version.
Hot CR-Z will be a hybrid - Autocar.co.uk

However, since joining up here, my curiosity has been peaked, so I contacted my Honda salesguy and made an appointment for a test drive tonight, and of course it will be a 6MT.

And I'm really excited too, because this will be the first time I have driven a car, my winter driver is my Frontier PRO-4X pickup, since November of last year; it's going to feel so good to get my butt back down on the ground.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Light rain here, should be fun...
I can't wait
My fear is it is going to feel slow as crap
Even my pickup has a quicker 0-60 time

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it will feel slower than your truck until you set it to Sport mode at a stop.
Believe me, it'll be in Sport, and we'll see about that
With 261 hp @ 5,600 rpm and 281 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 rpm the truck is not a slouch

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck and remember its not all about sheer power. If you can find a windy road someplace, put it in sport and enjoy the ride.
We are apparently from different planets
On my planet it is all about power and handling
Handling although very important, unto itself it is not enough
:mellow:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is my full review...

My CR-Z Review

Last night I took out a 2011 CR-Z 6MT for a bit of a test drive. I spent 45-minutes with the car, alone, so I had the freedom to really test it out. I subjected it to everything from a parking lot to the expressway to a speed blast. Overall, it’s an interesting car for sure.

First off, looks. Well, as far as I’m concerned in stock form it has the look of a real hot hatch. Add some aftermarket goodies to it, and it takes hot hatch to another level. We always hear people say they’ll have to see a particular vehicle in person before they can really judge it; well the CR-Z is a bit like that. Once you see it in person the incredible width and lowness really show up. I’m really impressed with the look, and I cannot get over how wide and muscular it is at the back.

Dash Layout- All the gauges are well laid out and easy to see. The digital dash display is a beautiful, well organized, stunning visually, as far as I’m concerned; this is the best dash layout of any current Honda. I prefer it with out the navi screen, and I assume I’m in the minority on that.

Windshield Wipers- OMG! Finally American Honda has decided to not screw us on something. It must be because it would have cost too much money to dumb down the controls. Finally, the intermittent switch is variable. My pickup trucks have had this feature for over 16-years, about time American Honda. And I say American Honda because it is well documented cars like the S2000 have this feature on the other side of the pond, but not here.

Horn- Are you kidding me? A horn is supposed to demand attention; it’s a safety device. This one is pathetic; it’s too quiet and sounds way too girlie. As a guy I would be embarrassed to lock the car in a public space and have his little girlie thing beep back at me. I can only hope that can be over ridden like on the S2000 and the Frontier. Just pathetic…

Interior Colors- Honda is f’ing retarded for not offering us the darker interior option and the black cloth seats. The grey seats are way too light and I’m not a fan of the extreme contrast on the dash and doors caused by the very light grey materials.

Seat- It was only ok, I was not real comfortable, the headrest feels too far forward and there is not enough lumbar support. I think I would have been much more comfortable if the back of the seat was not so squishy or cave in so much. I think it could be fixed, but right now I just know I would not be comfortable on a long trip. I like firm and supportive, I’m not a big fan of sofa cushions in my vehicles.

Steering Wheel- Great controls, well laid out. I miss the wide extensions towards the inner part of the wheel just above 9 and 3 like both the S2000 and the Frontier have, this wheel was a uniform thickness all the way around, I was amused by the fact that my pickup is more sporty. The best part though, holy cow, I loved it, tilt and telescopic. I think, no, I know this was the first Honda I could get both the seats and the steering wheel set correctly. Apparently my legs are too long for my arms and I always have to sit a tad too close for my legs just so I can get a hold of the wheel, but not in the CR-Z, very well done.

Storage Space- Well done. I hate a vehicle that has a non-flat floor when you fold the seats down. The Fiat 500 was a good example, that hatch floor was at about a 15-degree angle, give me a break, I want a flat floor back there, the CR-Z is perfect, just like my CRX-Si. And although I would prefer a little 2+2 back seat, I do like the storage bins in what would be the back seat bottoms, and as I would always have the back seat like thing folded down flat that forms a good deal of totally out of sight storage.

Back Hatch Release- Really Honda? Really. You cheap tards… There is none, no hatch release on the inside of the car. None. Retarded.

Transmission- There is nothing more to say other than it is another flawless 6-speed tranny. Just a dream to use, felt great, any S2000 owner should feel right at home with this tranny. Well done Honda, well done.

Visibility- Well you can see out of the front window fine, and you can see left and right fine, but that’s about it. This is a car that demands you adjust the side view mirrors correctly which most Americans can’t seem to do, and then use them. If you try and turn your head to see what is next to and just behind your door, you will not see anything outside the car. The interior tri of the B-pillar is very thick, so you cannot actually see the back window on the left, and on the right the passenger’s seat blocks it. Then the view out the back, the top window is useless, if you get any benefit from it, it’s only from a very few inches of it at the very back of hatch. The little vertical back window though is your friend; it’s where you get the most clues about what’s behind you. For me, I can get adjusted to all of these things because to me, the great looking exterior shape is worth these challenges. But, there is one more thing, if you see a CR-Z on the street, just remember, there is a very, very good chance that driver does not see you, so give it a wide berth, especially you motorcyclists!

Handling- Remember this thing is rolling on narrow crappy hard as rock tires. What a blast this car was to drive. It does indeed know how to scoot through the corners. I was impressed; it was a lot of fun. I have to admit, the antiquated cheap beam axle on the rear did a much better job than I thought it would. With some wider wheels, sticky rubber and some stiffer springs or shocks this thing could be taken to some really high cornering loads.

The Whole Hybrid Thing- You have 3 modes to choose from, Economy, in a word, scary, the halo around the speedometer glows green; Normal, not too bad, clearly better than econ, the halo around the speedometer glows blue; Sport, much, much better, the halo around the speedometer glows red. The switches to select these modes is on the dash to the left, easy to use, once selected you get a popup on the right lower dash that indicates what you just changed and then the word shows up in the left lower dash to confirm it in words in case the whole obvious green, blue red things escapes you.

Economy- The only time I would use this is on the expressway on a long trip. When you use this mode in 35mph to 45mph traffic everybody hates you. People are right up your butt, you can’t see anything in the rear view except for grill and headlights, and you just know that want to bump you out of their way. To me this is just scary slow, I felt very vulnerable in traffic.

Normal- Honestly I don’t see myself ever using this mode. I would be in one of the other two. For me this is a pointless mode.

Sport- This would be the mode my car is in 90-95% of the time. Once you experience the other two modes it becomes obvious when you hit this switch that the engine and IMA system finally wake up. It’s not a huge change, but it is clearly better.

Performance- The specs on this car lead you to believe this is just going to be a scary slow slug, well I’m surprised to report, in a way, the numbers lie. The Insight is a scary slow slug; the CR-Z in sport mode is nothing like that at all. Clearly this is no S2000, and I know for a fact my CRX-Si would eat this thing alive and spit out the bones, but it does have some interesting characteristics, and overall, really is not too bad, clearly better than what I was expecting and here is why. Push the sport button and get into the right mode, push and hold the VDC for a second or so till it beeps, the dash light comes on, and the system is turned off. Give the revs a few bumps, let out the clutch, and bury the gas pedal into the floor, and the front end just lights up, the front tires spinning, and spinning, and wow, are still spinning. Off the line this thing has a good deal of grunt. A hotter version of this drive train could very produce one serious hot hatch. Off the line in this mode this thing is a real surprise, so why then are the 0-60 times in the 8 to 10-second range? Well that’s because at about 45mph this thing just runs out of steam. The engine does not have much pull at the higher end of the rev range. I thought I was going to fall asleep between 45 and 65mph, and getting it up to 90 took a lot, and I mean a lot of pavement. I think the 2,600-2,700 pounds is just too much for the 122 horses, but clearly the 128 ft-lbs. of grunt at only 1,000 rpm is felt and is fun.

Overall- I gained some respect for this car. If I did the vast majority of my driving in an urban area where most of the speeds were 45mph and below, this would be a rather decent fun car just as it is now. But, I live and drive in much more rural setting, I want to be able to bounce up to 70mph easily, I want to be able to run 60mph on roads that are clearly not flat and this car cannot offer that type of performance. In addition I was very happily surprised with the handling, especially considering the crap wheel tire setup. In conclusion, if Honda R&D chief Tomohiko Kawanabe was being honest in the Autocar interview, and Honda is determined to give us a real performance hybrid, then I think it is only a matter of time before I have a CR-Z “Si” in my fleet.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am coming from Hemi 5.7 , Jeep Grand Cherokee with 368 hp.
I think this Jeep is "little" faster than your truck.
And, I am quite happy with the speed of little CR-Z.
It does not matter what you have driven, and how much power it had
People like different things
And I think my S2000 and VFR are a "little" faster than your old Jeep Grand Cherokee.
:pP:

·
Registered
49 Posts
excellent review!
i have an 06 wrx that i'm looking to trade in on a cr-z in a few months. the power loss is going to be HUGE but with the prices of gas skyrocketing i just cant afford the wrx anymore. i picked up a side job (a job i have been wishing & dreaming for for years!) out of town & the drive to and from pittsburgh where i live is just destroying my bank account @ the pump.

i have yet to test drive a cr-z so i was kind of in the same boat as you from the beginning and i don't know why i have my mind made up that i'm deff getting one without even a test drive but i guess its an impulse buy like the wrx was when i purchased it (cant say i regret it, but if i had to do it over i wouldn't have bought it).

i'm a honda lover. i own a 99 civic hatch with a b18 (that has been pulled for a k20) that i will use as my project/quick car. i need the cr-z as a daily drive. after reading this review its like i was actually already driving the car. very detailed and informative. i can't wait to get behind the wheel now! im going to have to head to the local dealer & take one for a spin this weekend!

thanks for this great review and once i take my drive i cant wait to compare my thoughts with yours!

·
Registered
664 Posts
thanks for the review! very entertaining read and love to hear people's honest opinion about the car. weird, but i still like reading reviews even though i own the car already haha. funny thing is though, completely had no clue that the steering wheel was telescopic.............

that's really gonna help me out because i, too, suffer from longer legs with shorter arms. i have to sit with the seat all the way to the back but my arms never really comfortably reached the top of the wheel (without slouching) so i always just rested my arm on the door. thanks for the info!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not a bad review, sounds like you were more pleased than you expected. However, Normal mode is also green - it goes to blue only when you're outside its parameters for being efficient. Also, I have no problem keeping up with, or even passing stop/go traffic in Econ. Where upstate are you?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not a bad review, sounds like you were more pleased than you expected. However, Normal mode is also green - it goes to blue only when you're outside its parameters for being efficient. Also, I have no problem keeping up with, or even passing stop/go traffic in Econ. Where upstate are you?
Yes, I was happily surprised.

Trust me, Normal mode was always blue, I'm just the kind of guy who is always outside the parameters. :grin:

Rochester

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the review! very entertaining read and love to hear people's honest opinion about the car. weird, but i still like reading reviews even though i own the car already haha. funny thing is though, completely had no clue that the steering wheel was telescopic.............
Thank you, and, you are welcome
Enjoy your revised steering wheel location

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
excellent review!
i have yet to test drive a cr-z...
thanks for this great review and once i take my drive i cant wait to compare my thoughts with yours!
Thank you
Yes you do, I really enjoyed my drive and I can't wait to hear what you think about your drive

·
Registered
75 Posts

that's really gonna help me out because i, too, suffer from longer legs with shorter arms. i have to sit with the seat all the way to the back but my arms never really comfortably reached the top of the wheel (without slouching) so i always just rested my arm on the door. thanks for the info!
I had no idea about the steering wheel either. Gotta try this on the way to work

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had no idea about the steering wheel either. Gotta try this on the way to work
It's the single lever under the steering column you release
Once you have the wheel so it can tilt up or down, just pull it towards you
So you tilt up and down, and pull in and out till you like it, than you flip the lever back into the lock position
Presto

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, I was happily surprised.

Trust me, Normal mode was always blue, I'm just the kind of guy who is always outside the parameters. :grin:

Rochester
Rochester for me too, and there's someone with a black Z here as well.

The seats seem to be great for some, but not to everyone's taste. I love them, but wouldn't object to a little more lumbar. I do wish the wheel telescoped a little more, but better than other small cars I tested.

Did you go to Holtz or Dick Ide?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.