Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got to drive a Tesla Roadster Sport today. Wow, holy torque! Batman. this car blasts off like it's shot from a cannon. amazing, just amazing.... I didn't get to take it on any twisties but considering it's based on the lotus chassis plus this one had a 10 way adjustable suspension, i am pretty sure the handling would be very, very good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go try a Tesla roadster and you'll love your CR-Z even more. The Honda is so much more user-friendly, with more room and ease of entry/exit (I'm a tall guy). The Tesla roadster is nice for Sunday drives, but you wouldn't like to go shopping with one.

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
One of our apartment building tenants is getting an "S" next month. I have to arrange wiring for the charger in their garage bay. That's fine for a one-off, but if we ever have to add chargers (and meters) in every parking spot, it's going to be a disaster! The electrical service for the building couldn't even handle all that (talking 200+ unit apartment building here).

Still, nice car. I should ask them for a ride, for my troubles. Oh wait, it's my JOB. Dang!

·
Deputy Forum Librarian
4,813 Posts
Saw this today on Yahoo...
First Tesla Fire

"While the batteries were involved, the fire wasn't a spontaneous event. The driver of the Model S in Kent, Wash., reported running over a metal object; soon after, the Model S computer system warned of something wrong with the car. As the video below shows (warning: contains explicit language), the fire was contained to the front of the Model S, and according to Tesla, no one was injured. According to the fire report obtained by the Associated Press, the object punctured the front of the battery case, and firefighters had to use a dry chemical to extinguish the flames."

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Funny that the government can't investigate because it's shutdown.

At least we don't have that problem since our batteries are tucked in the back and doesn't take up as much space as a tesla.

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
Remember this video and article?

Alfa-Romeo 4C Battles Another 4C Towed by a Tesla Model X in Drag Race

BY VLAD MITRACHE, 21ST MARCH 2016

I see you bought yourself a sports car, huh? It's got carbon fiber everything, nice sounding exhaust, rear-wheel-drive and the mandatory flashy body color. But, the question is, is it any good at accelerating off the line?

With a 4.5 seconds time for the 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) sprint, you'd think it would be. Yes, it does only come with a 1.75-liter turbo engine, but it's got 241 hp and weighs as much as a bulimic on a diet - just over 1,000 kg or 2,200 lb. That has got to be a winning combination when it comes to gaining speed, right?

Well, 4.5 seconds is a perfectly decent time. Claiming such a performance on a production model with a sub 2-liter engine a few years ago would have been impossible, so the Alfa 4C deserves some credit. Not to mention that its short wheelbase and low weight also make it extremely fun in the bends, which is where a sports car truly shines. However, it must hold its ground in a drag race as well. Especially when up against a lumbering SUV such as the Tesla Model X.

But a Tesla on a drag strip isn't a new thing anymore. Gone are the days when electric cars were synonym to poor performances, and we largely have Tesla to thank for that. In fact, seeing one of these EVs next to you with just a 1/4 of a mile track in front is something very few vehicles don't find scary. But this race has been, how should I put it, rigged.

On the left, we have a red Alfa Romeo 4C Spider which we can only assume is stock. On the right, there's an identical one, only yellow. If at first it seems like it's been jacked up, that's because it's sitting on a trailer. Don't worry, nothing bad happened to it - in fact, it's going to win this race. And that's because it's got a Tesla Model X P90D with ludicrous mode engaged pulling it. Yes, it would appear that the low weight is Alfa's doom and its saving grace at the same time. Well, at least when it's competing against an EV towing its twin brother, that is.

The video was shared by Sterling Anderson - former director of Tesla's Model X Program and now in charge of the Autopilot Program - on his Facebook page, who also made the (now obvious) realization that some cars will get faster across the finish line if they're towed by a Model X. And now we know.

Fun fact: many high-performance cars cross the quarter mile line faster when towed by a Model X than they do on their own four wheels.

What's faster? An @AlfaRomeo #4C or an @AlfaRomeo #4C... being towed by a @teslamotors #ModelX #P90D #ludicrous?

Well, as of today, THE ALFA IS AVENGED!!! :smile2:

Yesterday, Alfie had a track day with a Tesla Model S P85D in our group. I cannot speak to the ability of its driver, but after his very impressive start off the line, we caught him fairly quickly and lapped him once. In fairness, he had three in the car in that session where I was alone, but it was the base weight of the car that cost him performance.

Although we both drove about the same distance to get to the track, his battery was completely flat after two sessions and he had to disappear for about an hour to get to the nearest charging station (20 minutes away), where he only managed to get enough juice to run one more session before driving home praying he'd not run out! I chose to fill up 5 minutes from the track one session after he left, and that got me through three hard, longer sessions in the afternoon (with a passenger) and we still had 1/2 tank left to go home with.

Not impressed with the Tesla on the track. Great car if you like rolling iPads, and much more comfortable than the 4C for sure. I get that Tesla did not design their cars for the race track, but it certainly puts that daft video at the start of this post into perspective. The car has one party trick, but whereas a real car can do this all day, the PIEV owner needs to beat a hasty retreat after a very short time.

Reactions: litz

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
...The car has one party trick, but whereas a real car can do this all day....
A lot of hype about the Tesla, but just the idea of worrying about getting your next "fix" of go-juice would keep me away from buying one--even if they dropped a zero off the price tag.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
8,820 Posts
Trying to plan a road trip around available charging stations adds an annoying wrinkle as well.
I know I have frequently used my quarterly updated GPS and put in a destination only to find out the place no longer exists. For food or gas not a big deal but for a charger it could leave you stranded! Especially considering the different kinds of chargers and how fast (or slow) they charge.

Saw an article on Flip Board the other day about a couple planning a trip across Canada in a Chevy Bolt and having the electric car community help them out finding private chargers to use for parts of the trip.

Not ready for prime time yet.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Screwdrivers are crap for driving nails, too.

Everything has its strengths and weaknesses. The Z's not great for hitting up Home Depot for more sheets of plywood.

Electrics are going to have a very large footprint in the next decade's automobile world, and their 100% torque at zero rpm will show us feats that combustibles just can't do.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.