Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sort of specific question, haha. I'm an astronomer, and I've got a 16" Meade Lightbridge telescope. I've done some measurements and I think I'll be able to barely squeeze the telescope in the car, putting the base in the passenger seat, everything else in the back with the divider laid flat.

Does anyone else have the same telescope (or similar) and can confirm that it fits?

· Registered
270 Posts
That's a very specific question, and I'd be surprised if anyone can help you (but, hey, who knows!).

I Googled that telescope's specs, and I think it would fit if you used the passenger seat, like you said. I fit a 5' tall Christmas tree in the back of our CRZ, and it fit with 2 people in the car (i.e. it didn't stick out into the front part of the car).

Anyway to test it out? Maybe go for a test drive to your house/work & try loading it in??

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main section of the telescope is a cylinder, 19" around by 22" tall. The base is about 22"x22"x20" tall. These are the two biggest pieces, the other stuff I know I can find places for. :)

I'm going to measure everything and get a test drive tomorrow and see if I can find room for it. I -may- have to remove the divider all together, and I'm thinking that if I can remove the spare tire and reposition it, I can get the telescope to sit down in the spare tire spot.

I'm pretty positive that I can somehow get it to fit in there, its just a matter of how comfortable and easy it'll be.

· Registered
87 Posts
I have an 11" Schmidt Cassegrain CPC telescope with similar dimensions that will fit easily into my CR-Z. However, in order to protect this fragile instrument from getting jarred, it must be packed in foam or a similar energy absorbing medium. This will add several inches to the overall dimension.
Removing the spare tire will probably be your only option.
Only a truly devoted astronomer would partially dismantle his CR-Z for the cause.
Good luck!:popcorn:

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I test drove the vehicle - I really like it. :)

Afterwards, I went around and measured the cargo space, we even pulled out the spare tire to see how much room it would gain. With the spare tire removed/moved there is plenty of space to get the whole scope in the back. Woohoo! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.