Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Tein High Tech springs & 20mm H&R spacers installed with OEM wheels. Pics, brief DIY.

23K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  northbridge 
#1 ·
Tein High Tech springs & 20mm H&R spacers installed with OEM wheels. Pics, brief DIY.

Hello everyone, I got around to installing the Tein High Tech springs along with H&R 20mm DRM spacers for the rear. (5/114.3 64.1 Stud 12x1.5 DRM 20mm Part# 4065640)

Would like to share some before and after pics along with a brief DIY for those interested in installing a set.

Tools used:

Air tools help, but aren't needed.

Impact gun
Impact wrench
Torque wrench
Spring compressor
12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm deep sockets
17mm, 19mm open end wrenches
Allen wrench set
Needle nose pliars
2 decent floor jacks, 3 would be better
1 jack stand, 2 or more would be better

Onto the pics...

Before the install:

Parts

Install

Jack up the rear, best to have both wheels hanging due to solid rear axle to ease spring removal
Take off rear wheels using 19mm socket
Take off 14mm bolt holding shock to rear trailing
Stand or push on rear hub while removing rear spring

Install rubber spring cups onto new springs
Stand or push on rear hub while reinstalling rear spring
Using spare jack raise hub to line up rear trailing arm with rear shock
Reinstall the 14mm bolt
Torque

Install 20mm H&R spacers
Torque
Install rear wheels
Torque

Onto the front...

Jack up the front
Take off front wheels using 19mm socket
Using 17mm open end wrench and fitting allen wrench, take off 17mm nut from strut
Using needle nose pliers, remove plastic brake sensor cable tab off strut
Remove rubber mount holding brake sensor cable off strut
Using 12mm socket, remove brake line + bracket
Using 19mm open end wrench and 19mm socket, remove 2 main bolts connecting to front hub
Using 14mm socket remove upper sway bar end link
Pull out strut
Mount into spring compressor
Compress spring
Using 19mm deep socket/impact gun combo or allen wrench/19mm open end wrench combo remove 19mm bolt off strut
Spin off plastic bracket along with plastic housing from spring and off strut

Install new spring

Spin on plastic bracket along with plastic housing onto new spring and strut
Compress slightly by hand and reinstall 19mm bolt

Reinstall strut assembly with new spring
Torque

Done deal.

Some after pics that didn't come out too well. I'll be sure to take some more during the day...

Mods:
35w Slim ballast 6500k HIDs
Tom Tom Navigation
18% Carbon window tint all around
20mm H&R spacers
Tein springs

Took it around the block and it definitely seems to ride better than OEM. Less slop in suspension, less vertical play, stiffer rear. Overall this seems like a great setup so far and I feel like the car should have come stock in this form.

Hope this helps a bit and you guys enjoyed, stay tuned for more daytime pics and a more thorough driving review...:grin:

See less See more
#2 ·
^ Outstanding post :thumbsup: And a great contribution to the forum. Thanks for sharing.
:hi5:

#5 ·
#4 ·
Looks like he got the same spacers I did for my OEM 17" rims/tires. On a 16" stock rim/tire, could probably take it out maybe to a 25mm DRM.. Would have to measure but based on pics, looks like another 5mm would work...

#10 ·
Yes rear only. I wouldn't mind running 5mm up front, but really do not feel like replacing front studs for such little difference... Now that the spacers are in, I couldn't imagine the car without. Must buy imo...

That looks good.. what's the drop on the springs? Looks like about an inch.
I've got to admit, I'm a little disappointed w/ the swifts.. When I ordered, the drop was 1", and now after RnD they're actually about 1.25". Looks a little too low for what I was going for... (Wanted an EVEN gap around the wheel... Stock it's a little wide.. 1" drop was perfect.. 1.25 is clearly a lower gap on top than the sides. :( )
They say .8 front .9 rear so it's not quite 1 inch. I'm happy with the drop considering it is a daily and gf takes it to work here and there.

Could you post pic of your drop, I wouldn't mind a slightly lower stance, but it's not practical... I bet the 1.25 drop would look mean with 17s

#9 ·
That looks good.. what's the drop on the springs? Looks like about an inch.
I've got to admit, I'm a little disappointed w/ the swifts.. When I ordered, the drop was 1", and now after RnD they're actually about 1.25". Looks a little too low for what I was going for... (Wanted an EVEN gap around the wheel... Stock it's a little wide.. 1" drop was perfect.. 1.25 is clearly a lower gap on top than the sides. :( )

#13 ·
Technically it is supposed to induce understeer, I've only driven the car around a block a couple of times so I didn't notice much of it if any. What I did notice though is a more put together feel, less slop, less bounce, less body roll. Planning on a long drive today so I'll be able to post a better review later...

you didnt cut the rubber bumpstops?
No, I called Tein and they said with such a small drop it is not necessary. I also confirmed with another forum member that purchased these springs, he also left them be. Time will tell, but I'm sure I'm ok without cutting those.

#16 ·
^ Concur. Daytime pics show it much better. Very Nice.

#19 ·
^^nice, you'll like the look even better in person :)

Went out for a half hour drive, driving impressions:

Front seemed to have settled a bit and it looks even better now.
A lot less slop, mostly less vertical slop
Noticeably Less body roll
Noticed slight added understeer, but in a good way, feels more planted, more controllable, more predictable
Slightly but noticeably stiffer all around, more so especially in the rear
Less bouncy
Makes you feel the road a little more
Gets rid of the floaty feeling you get with stock springs
Excellent ride quality

Overall I must say it's a great setup for someone looking for a slight drop without any sacrifice to the ride quality. Would I do it all over again, yes. Would I buy any other spring setup if I could do it all over again, no. Hope this helps :)

#22 ·
Your 1" will probably be more like 1.25" since my .8" actually ended up being a full 1" drop once settled. If this wasn't a daily and san diego had better roads, I wouldn't mind a more aggressive drop.

looks awesome! I'm getting your exact setup.:thumbsup:
:hi5: be sure to get a proper alignment after as well :thumbsup:

Had mine done today, positive front camber dialed out to slight negative, toe corrected.

Made a difference in the way it drives/rides especially on the freeway... I highly recommend a proper alignment along with some nitrogen in tires set to 35psi.

#29 ·
Haha, I say if you can afford the spacers now, get them. They really add to the look and you might as well enjoy it while you get your 17's. You can still use them on 17s as they most likely be 17x7 anyway.

#34 ·
I would recommend getting alignment done after the drop. Spacers don't affect it as Scotty mentioned.

My alignment was slightly off after the H-techs. May have been even before the drop from the factory. I had negative toe along with positive camber up front, which was dialed out by a reputable alignment shop. Made the ride even better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.