Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve found the OEM Sub for as cheap as $45. I’ll have to google the interior trim panel to try and find it. I wasnt sure if it’s be worth my time or should I try and build something custom possibly in the flip up hide-away area. If I could fit an 8” sub/box on one side and the amp on the other or possibly 2 8” subs that would be great. I’m not as talented as one post I saw where the guy built a really nice custom setup like I was describing for 10’s. Just want some bass without it sacrificing what little space is available.
After looking that up I found one for $382. 😐. I think ill suck it up and build one that will fit my needs. 😂

·
Registered
599 Posts
After looking that up I found one for $382. . I think ill suck it up and build one that will fit my needs.
The thing is I got the panel and the sub for $40 lol

You can also build sub and the amp in the rear fake bucket seats. Just google “ Crz subwoofer”, then you would see a few custom build using those rear fake seats.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
151 Posts
I did the same thing on my base model. In order to fit the OEM sub, you will need the whole left rear interior trim that has a cutout for the oem sub. The issue I encounter was that only one bolt goes onto the chassis and I had to secure the sub with some metal zip ties. I also used some foam pieces to make the sub snug in place. I was lucky enough to find the sub and the interior panel for really cheap. You could replace the oem sub with aftermarket sub and there’s a post for that mod.... someone please post or you could search for it.

The way I Power the oem sub is with an aftermarket amp and I tune it carefully so I don’t overdrive it. The OEM sub is kinda weak but it’s definitely better than nothing.....
This is how I did it, bought the subwoofer with case, left interior trim, trunk floor, shiny door handles heated seat panel with switches for around 220$ if I remember correctly. On top of that an amp for 34$ (2 ohm, 120W RMS - more than the factory sub can handle anyway), some wires, sound deadening materials (alu-butyl and closed cell foam for around 200$).
1599896329020.png 1599896599409.png 1599896836346.png 1599897079386.png 1599897101755.png 1599897266547.png 1599897343253.png

1599897210627.png 1599897220432.png 1599897238168.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is how I did it, bought the subwoofer with case, left interior trim, trunk floor, shiny door handles heated seat panel with switches for around 220$ if I remember correctly. On top of that an amp for 34$ (2 ohm, 120W RMS - more than the factory sub can handle anyway), some wires, sound deadening materials (alu-butyl and closed cell foam for around 200$).
View attachment 62190 View attachment 62191 View attachment 62192 View attachment 62193 View attachment 62194 View attachment 62199 View attachment 62200

View attachment 62196 View attachment 62197 View attachment 62198

Looks like you did a fantastic job! Does the factory sub add a decent amount of bass? (yet not overpowering?) I was a bit disheartened that there doesn't seem to be much (if any) custom sub enclosures for the CRZ for sale. I doubt if i will be able to find such a sweet deal for the sub/enclosure and rear trim panel as you did. I haven't looked closely, but i had initially assumed that just that area where the sub would go popped off and you could then just pop the sub and enclosure in and bolt it down after hookups and be good to go. Now im either thinking of building something for the flip up area OR building something that sits flush to the far rear of the car. This is purely a work in progress and i'm not really in any sort of hurry. Right now i've dropped the car off with a friend who was a top installer at a car audio place here in town years ago. He is installing a Pioneer touchscreen, steering wheel controls, and replacing the factory speakers for me... hope to pick it up today.

·
Registered
599 Posts
View attachment 62190 View attachment 62191 View attachment 62192 View attachment 62193 View attachment 62194 View attachment 62199 View attachment 62200

View attachment 62196 View attachment 62197 View attachment 62198

Great job ! I also stuff my subwoofer with Polydill and made it sound better.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
151 Posts
Looks like you did a fantastic job! Does the factory sub add a decent amount of bass? (yet not overpowering?) I was a bit disheartened that there doesn't seem to be much (if any) custom sub enclosures for the CRZ for sale. I doubt if i will be able to find such a sweet deal for the sub/enclosure and rear trim panel as you did. I haven't looked closely, but i had initially assumed that just that area where the sub would go popped off and you could then just pop the sub and enclosure in and bolt it down after hookups and be good to go. Now im either thinking of building something for the flip up area OR building something that sits flush to the far rear of the car. This is purely a work in progress and i'm not really in any sort of hurry. Right now i've dropped the car off with a friend who was a top installer at a car audio place here in town years ago. He is installing a Pioneer touchscreen, steering wheel controls, and replacing the factory speakers for me... hope to pick it up today.
You can see how the sub works on the videos, it's pretty ok for daily listening, but with 100% volume and heavy bass songs it's not as clear as I'd like it to be, but tbh this level of loudness is mostly for show. Overall it sounds better than friend's custom box in toyota MR2 with also 8 inch speaker. At some point I might upgrade the speaker, because the amp can definitely deliver more power, right now it's set to ~25% gain and 7 out of 10 in player's settings.

Great job ! I also stuff my subwoofer with Polydill and made it sound better.
I did this too, not shown on the photos.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts