Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pictures, videos, or links of installing/taking apart the OEM subwoofer on the EX?

Just want a heads up of how it goes together before I go prying at the wrong piece and *SNAP*.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would like this too. I wanted to hear what kind of sound I would get out it if I ran a 12" in series with the stock speaker.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You won't be able to power anything off the stock sub. You can't even power another 8in sub really. The factory speakers in the Honda are paper thin, and have magnets the size of quarters. Trust me, I have pulled mine all apart, replaced everything in the car. The fronts and rears run really well off the factory amp (I used Memphis Audio PR components) but the rear sub has zero power at all. Barely enough actually to even run my line out converter to run my real sub.

·
Registered
780 Posts
But if you want to see for yourself. You can pull off the little kick panel next to the sub, behind it you will find a gray connector on the lower left hand side (as you look in) just to the left of the strut top. Disconnect that and you can try and power your sub off those leads. They are the leads that run to the factory sub.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
what about just replacing the current speaker with a better 8" one or even a 10" one if it fits in that hole. you still think there wouldn't be enough power for that one speaker because the stock one takes less or something?

·
Registered
384 Posts
You won't be able to power anything off the stock sub. You can't even power another 8in sub really. The factory speakers in the Honda are paper thin, and have magnets the size of quarters. Trust me, I have pulled mine all apart, replaced everything in the car. The fronts and rears run really well off the factory amp (I used Memphis Audio PR components) but the rear sub has zero power at all. Barely enough actually to even run my line out converter to run my real sub.

Explains why I can't hear the bloody thing... I swear people who say the stock sound system "kicks" must be using some psychotropics.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If i remove the factory sub from the EX, is there a hole where it was? Also, whats the removal process of this. Any write ups on that yet?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
^ Santana - Maria Maria - Radio Mix...

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
it has to be a low frequency that the sub can pick up. since it's only an 8" some low frequencies don't even register on it lol.

·
Registered
421 Posts
This is what I've been looking for.. verification that doing nothing but swapping the speakers is do-able in the car. Excellent.

Easy swap? (getting to the speakers) :blush:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just want to take the stock speaker out and stuff some stuffing behind it for now and and I'll eventually try and fit a 10" in there and Dynomat it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Don't think a 10in will fit there at all. The "Box" or what ever you want to call it is not made for anything but the stock 8in with the wopping 1in magnet on it. If you where even able to slap a 10 in it it would sound horrible because of the ZERO air space. Most 10's require 1cubic foot of air space, you can get some that require as little as .3 in the case of the Memphis shallow mount sub I have. But it sounds better with 1 cubic foot.

·
Registered
780 Posts
This is what I've been looking for.. verification that doing nothing but swapping the speakers is do-able in the car. Excellent.

Easy swap? (getting to the speakers) :blush:
Not a hard swap up front, the doors come off easily. The rears, the plastic is a pain in the but to remove. Some day I think I will take it all out and install 8in mid bass drivers back there. But that is in the future.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree, there is not way you could fit a 10" in there! And I definitely will need to pick up a separate amp with a new Sub. Thanks for the opinion.

The magnet is more than 1" though...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts