Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly nine months of twice daily checking on seven used car websites here in the U.S., I got a notification on Sunday that a dealer had just listed a CR-Z that matched my requirements. I sent a text right away and, even though the dealership was closed, the owner replied. We arranged for me to come in the next day -- which I did and took a test drive. I "slept on it" overnight and sealed the deal by telephone today. I will return to the lot tomorrow and sign the paperwork. It took so long to find because it is a rare 2016 EX 6MT in Milano Red, one owner, with only 39k-miles (62k-km) in immaculate condition. It was actually first sold in October of 2017, so it is only 3 and a half years old. I will post more details after I take possession.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2011 EX CVT and it is a fun little car. Everyone jokes how low it is when getting in the passenger seat (even fellow honda sadan owners) but i am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the positive responses. The plan to take delivery was delayed by one day so I could arrange a ride to the dealership with a friend. So, I actually picked up the Z this afternoon. All I can say is "Wow!" I had driven a CR-Z only twice before -- both times they were short trips with dealership sales staff. To be able to have my own car and to be able to drive it anywhere I please and to do so at any speed I dared is quite a revelation. At this point, the car has exceeded all of my expectations. (And I have yet to engage Sport Mode!) I will have more reports -- and, undoubtedly questions -- in the future. In the meantime, feel free to ask me about the car or share your experiences.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I said there would be questions . . . Here's one: My new (to me) 2016 EX 6MT has pretty flawless paint (Milano Red) but there are a couple of tiny chips on the front edge plus the usual swirls can be seen in certain lighting situations. I have heard about "paint correction," "clay bar," "ceramic coating," and clear, acrylic "invisible bras." What are these things, should I get them done, if so, all of them or just some, and where does one go to get these things? Much thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts
You want the paint corrected ( depending how bad that can be a good polish by a professional or you can do it yourself if you have the skills up to and including a sanding and reapplication of the paint and or clear coat). You do not want to do a ceramic coating before the paint and clear coat is as good as it can be. My new car was destroyed before delivery by the dealer who polished the car when it was brand new and it is swirled to crap. Paint protection film will prevent it from getting worse but it can make it harder to do paint repair and would have to be removed before repairing the paint.

My whole front end is covered in paint protection film including my lights. I will have to have it removed from the painted parts before I have a shop do correction and repair. Why a dealer took a polisher with a new guy to a brand new car without asking me I will never know and it will be a very expensive repair.

A very good hand wash and a clay baring with the right lubricant is a good start to see how bad the paint really is. Clay bar process pulls contaminates out of the clear coat. If you do not have a lot of chips and you have a steady hand you can touch up the chips. There are many methods for that but I got this kit and it works ok. Home - Dr. ColorChip

One other thing to note, there are lots of postings on this site that recommend to use dish washing liquid to wash your car. This is a bad idea and is too harsh for your clear coat. Use a proper car wash solution.

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
I haven't had to do any paint correcting on my CR-Z, but my 1st Gen Insight had a lot of vertical scratches on the door from the dogs running up and greeting me (they were really friendly.) So I thought I'd make it a test case for an orbital I was thinking about getting, for use on my CR-Z at some point. Seems the scratches didn't go as deep as it looked, so they buffed out nicely--along with the swirls on the rest of the car. The basic kit I got is listed here:
G9 Orbital 2-Step BOSS™ Kit - Griot's Garage
(It was good for me, since I was practicing on my older car, so that took out the fear of messing it up--unfounded fear, as it turns out.) :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome, nice color! Post some pictures!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I spent portions of the last two days "setting up" the Zed -- Doing things that all new owners must undertake to personalize their cars. A partial list: Adjust the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel; Program the Information Screens, Program the Radio Station Presets, Load the CD Player and lay in a supply of CD's; Bluetooth pair up my smartphone; Join Pandora and synchronize my playlist; Deploy all manner of items (sunglasses, reading glasses, paper napkins, various key sets, microfiber cloths, owners manual, garage door opener transmitter, hand sanitizer, nitrile gloves, cleaning wipes, and parking permits) to the various compartments and storage locations around the interior; deploy the GPS device and carefully run the power cord to the outlet; hook up and run the cables for laptop and smartphone power; lay in and arrange all the paraphenalia which I always carry (provisions backpack, emergency food supply, cleaning & detailing kits, and emergency water supply); and put two bottles of tea in the glove box after switching the vent to chill them. It has been fun discovering some of the clever engineering designed by the product planners at Honda. Oh, I also took it out for the first pleasure drive yesterday, going through a local canyon, where I put it in Sport Mode for the first time and saw XXX MPH for a brief moment before I ran out of straightaway. It was exhilarating!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I made a rookie mistake. I was fiddling around with the headlight switch, experimenting to see which combination of lights come on in each position. At the end of the session, I left the garage and went inside the house for the night. You guessed it, I left the headlights turned on -- and my SLA battery was dead in the morning. Of course, nothing worked, not even the door lock solenoids, so I used my valet key to unlock the driver's door. At first, I could not figure out why everything was dead (because I did not look at the turn signal stalk). In any case, I got out my Li-Ion Jump Pack and hooked it up to the SLA battery and, of course, the Zed fired right up. I saw that the headlights were turned on, but I figured this was because the switch was in the Auto position and, being inside the garage, the sensor assumed it was nighttime. It was only after I drove into the daylight and found the headlights still turned on that I made my discovery. So, I won't make that mistake again, not the least because it is very hard on SLA batteries to be drained until they are flat. Here is the odd part: When I started driving, the gauge for the Traction Battery Pack was showing one bar. It actually recovered quickly -- in about five minutes of city driving. But, this would seem to indicate that the Traction Battery was also drained overnight, trying to supply power to the SLA battery that was being depleted by the headlights. Yet, I believe there was a discussion on this forum just the other day that concluded by stating there is no way the Traction Battery can recharge the SLA battery -- only the IMA generator can do that. Any thoughts on this situation? Many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts
Common issue. The IMA gauge and other issues will recover once car is driven enough to reset the IMA. Put under hood battery on charger over night then take car for a long drive or replace under hood battery as it may not recover.

So, I made a rookie mistake. I was fiddling around with the headlight switch, experimenting to see which combination of lights come on in each position. At the end of the session, I left the garage and went inside the house for the night. You guessed it, I left the headlights turned on -- and my SLA battery was dead in the morning. Of course, nothing worked, not even the door lock solenoids, so I used my valet key to unlock the driver's door. At first, I could not figure out why everything was dead (because I did not look at the turn signal stalk). In any case, I got out my Li-Ion Jump Pack and hooked it up to the SLA battery and, of course, the Zed fired right up. I saw that the headlights were turned on, but I figured this was because the switch was in the Auto position and, being inside the garage, the sensor assumed it was nighttime. It was only after I drove into the daylight and found the headlights still turned on that I made my discovery. So, I won't make that mistake again, not the least because it is very hard on SLA batteries to be drained until they are flat. Here is the odd part: When I started driving, the gauge for the Traction Battery Pack was showing one bar. It actually recovered quickly -- in about five minutes of city driving. But, this would seem to indicate that the Traction Battery was also drained overnight, trying to supply power to the SLA battery that was being depleted by the headlights. Yet, I believe there was a discussion on this forum just the other day that concluded by stating there is no way the Traction Battery can recharge the SLA battery -- only the IMA generator can do that. Any thoughts on this situation? Many thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The explanation makes sense to me. Because the SLA battery had gone flat, the IMA System was uncalibrated. This is why the Battery Pack gauge showed just one bar upon start up. Jump starting the IC engine begins the process of self-examination. It also explains why the BP gauge returned to seven bars so quickly: The BP was never truly discharged. Here is today's Rookie Question: Do I need to manually push the Lock Button on the key fob every time I exit and walk away from the car? Or, does the perimeter alarm system recognize that the fob has been carried out of range -- putting into motion the process of locking the doors and setting the alarm? If so, does the process work in reverse: The system recognizes the fob as I return to the car and automatically unlocks the doors and disables the alarm? Many thanks to our experts.

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts
Short answer to your question is yes you have to use the button on the fob. See below for all the locking options for your car.

There is an auto re-locking delay if you have not opened any doors or hatch. Check your settings in the MID. The car only communicates with the fob when you use the buttons. It is not a proximity key. Either lock with the door lock button on the door, button on fob, key in door, or it will re-lock with the delay I mentioned if you have not opened the door or hatch. See attached for those options from my 2013 Manual. Yours should be similar.

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts
OOPs did not realize his was the one year special that is a 2016. RTFM.

2016 was the last year and many things were changed and are only on that year. Names of trim, lane watch cameras, different radios ( all touch screen) , all had arm rests , Start button, etc so most of the advice here is related to the other years.

Think of the cars in the following groups 2011-12(in some countries labeled as 2010), 2013-15 and 2016s. Most parts are same for all years but there are some differences and 2016 you have to be very careful for some parts due to it being a one year and last year car with lots of differences in features. For you be very careful on accessories and make sure they are for 2016 for most things not an issue ( big parts ,major systems) but for some things your car is unique.

If you do not have the manual you can access it for free from this site after registration. Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

Actually, with it being a 2016 model, it could very well be a "proximity key." You may want to consult your owner's manual for that one, @Mr. 6-Speed

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts
As for taking control of the lights. As my car has HID headlights I leave the auto lights off except at night when I manually turn on to extend the life of the bulbs. In some conditions the headlights will turn on and off fairly quickly and that is bad news for HID headlights. When I turn my car off ,I turn off the radio and double check the headlights are off before I plug in my charger maintainer and leave the garage.

Yep, 12V unplugged or dead and the IMA does a check-up on the next drive. Personally I avoid the auto headlight setting, take control of those lights!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I need to manually push the Lock Button on the key fob every time I exit and walk away from the car? Or, does the perimeter alarm system recognize that the fob has been carried out of range -- putting into motion the process of locking the doors and setting the alarm? If so, does the process work in reverse: The system recognizes the fob as I return to the car and automatically unlocks the doors and disables the alarm?
that should be something programmable through "vehicle settings" on the MID (dash display maneuvered through with the arrow keys on the steering wheel). might not be though. Look for "keyless access settings" or something similar.

Can't believe you scored a red 16 stick EX... nice find. With the low miles, you can do yourself a favor and head somehting off before it's a problem. as much as possible, don't sit still with the engine running. The differential is the oil pump for the input shaft bearing, and we're starting to see failures of that part in cars that idle a lot or go through stop-go traffic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From my first post, after buying the 2016 EX 6MT, there have been calls for pictures, so here are a few. I took these during the Golden Hour, after visiting my mother at the cemetery, thus the gravesites in the background.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts
If you push the door lock button(on the door) as you exit the car once door is closed it should lock. You may have one extra option if it is a proximity key.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts