Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Takeda intake

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Fediej 
#1 ·
Greetings all, I’ve been following this board since I got my 2016 a few years ago. Anyways, I’ve ordered myself a takeda intake and was wondering if anyone could explain how to train the computer after installing the new intake. I know I read it here a while ago but it’s been difficult for me to find again. Some of the relevant threads about this are pretty long. All help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Procedure is in the service manual, but here's a link of it that I put in my build thread. Disconnect the 12v battery, install the Takeda, then do the idle learn and CKP pattern learn described in the following link:

#5 ·
I’m sure someone can give you a more thorough answer than I can, but I believe it recalibrates the computer to adjust for the new air flow. I think if done properly it results in fewer CEL warnings. I’m not sure how much it affects performance

#6 ·
Is this process needed for a simple air intake change? Won't the car automatically adjust? if you have not changed the crankshaft position sensor , had the engine apart or replaced the ECU, why is this needed? Both of these processes are needed if the engine is taken apart which an air intake is not. My CR-Z actually had the Crank Position Sensor fail and trust me this is not a failure you want to have or have it maladjusted. The car is totally not drive-able.

But I feel the same about disconnecting the under hood battery to clear codes. You want the codes and all learned settings kept as they are needed for diagnosis and to keep the car running the way Honda Engineers intended.

But if you feel you want to clear everything the car has automatically adjusted then feel free.

#7 ·
Is this process needed for a simple air intake change? Won't the car automatically adjust? if you have not changed the crankshaft position sensor , had the engine apart or replaced the ECU, why is this needed? Both of these processes are needed if the engine is taken apart which an air intake is not. My CR-Z actually had the Crank Position Sensor fail and trust me this is not a failure you want to have or have it maladjusted. The car is totally not drive-able.

But I feel the same about disconnecting the under hood battery to clear codes. You want the codes and all learned settings kept as they are needed for diagnosis and to keep the car running the way Honda Engineers intended.

But if you feel you want to clear everything the car has automatically adjusted then feel free.
I’m not sure how necessary it is, I just know I read about it here at some point. Anybody out there have any experience with aftermarket intakes that hasn’t done this? Are CEL’s a common occurrence or is that a result of improper installation?

#8 ·
Sorry--I thought the OP was requesting the relearn procedures just in case he got CELs and had to clear them, which should be followed by a relearn.

Not necessary if you're just swapping the intake, but if you get a CEL and need to clear it, you really should do the relearn procedures--and do them both--as most (all) aftermarket readers that clear DTC's will clear the settings too. So, if you install just the Takeda, you shouldn't have to do a relearn, but you won't mess anything up or "have it maladjusted" by doing the procedures.

I have personally installed the K&N, Takeda, BLF, and other intakes and have never gotten a CEL after installation. Just repeating, that if you do clear CELs you've gotten for any reason, THAT PROCESS clears the settings, so it's good to do the relearns after clearing any CELs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.