Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Did this Install a while ago and did a write up showing the before and after pictures. You can check it out here http://www.crzforum.com/forum/aftermarket-crowd/1879-led-switchback-park-lights.html

Finally had a chance to do a DIY article on how to install these. For a list of bulbs you will need you can check the list I put together here http://www.crzforum.com/forum/aftermarket-crowd/1879-led-switchback-park-lights.html#post13466

What you will need: LED Bulbs, 6 ohm Load resistor per bulb (or if you plan on replacing your front turn signal bulbs with LED's you can get a 3 ohm load resistor for each side), Electrical tape, solder or solder-less crimp terminals, extra wire, screws, and a metal bracket to mount the load resistors to.

I Suggest putting the load resistor for rear turn signals up front. See my DIY http://www.crzforum.com/forum/do-yourself-articles/2490-switchback-led-front-turn-signal-install.html#post20722 Because of the heat produced by load resistors they need to be mounted safely away from plastic and there is no where behind the tail light to do so.

Tools needed: plastic pry tool or a flat head screw driver, Philips screw driver.

The difficulty of this project is Easy if just replacing the bulb and should only take a few minuets per side. Read my other DIY for load resistor install.

***I always suggest professional installation. Myself and or this website cannot be held responsible if you damage your vehicle or yourself***

Use pry tool to remove plastic cover.

Remove 2 screws.

Tape a towel to the bumper to protect it from scratches and give you something to rest the light on while you swap the bulb. I also put a little piece of tape at the top to protect the paint while pulling the light out.

Pull straight back on the light till it releases from the clip, set it on the towel.
Pull each bulb you intend on replacing. I replaced all 3, turn, reverse and side marker. Check to make sure you plugged in the bulb right if not flip the bulb. When all bulbs test good replace light. Gently alight the light withe clips and push it in, replace screws and cover. Repeat on the other side.

Check my other DIY topics for DRL bulb install, Front turn signal bulb and load resistor, and HID bulb swap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
so just to confirm, you can put the LEDs in the fogs and the backside lights without any modification to the electrical system, correct? just a straight plug and play?

EDIT: never mind found the answer on the original post... so if you wanna replace all lights in the rear + switchback LEDs, you will only need to put a 3 ohm load resistor on each turn signal line in the front? Do you need load resistors for the fogs?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I changed my fogs to Ultra white and all I did was swap bulbs. Also upgraded to HID's with no issues at all and no resistors!! :)
Ah see a first post.. Welcome to the Forum...

A little detail on on the specs you used for replacements for the Forum would be great.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
if the resistor question still stands, i changed most bulbs all around the car, though no turn signals yet. it seems that only the turn signals would require resistors.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
so if i don't touch the turn signals, i can pretty much replace all the rare bulbs + fogs without installing a resistor? just a simple plug and play with the LEDs??
correct. order from dealextreme.com. try to get the highest lumen rating for each bulb type. i did my whole interior for like $20, and it's awesome. i did my tails for $20 as well. haven't done fogs or turn signals yet.

not sure, but it's possible that resistors are only needed for switchbacks, and that a straight LED replacement (non-switchback) for the turn signals might not require resistors either. i'm going to experiment soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
correct. furthermore, order from dealextreme.com. try to get the highest lumen rating for each bulb type. i did my whole interior for like $20, and it's awesome. i did my tails for $20 as well. haven't done fogs or turn signals yet.

not sure, but it's possible that resistors are only needed for switchbacks, and that a straight LED replacement (non-switchback) for the turn signals might not require resistors either. i'm going to experiment soon.
awesome! thanks for the confirmation, was waiting for a solid answer before i order a bunch of LEDs haha... i already ordered the lights for interior and license plate, should be getting them "soon"... although the stuff are about 30 dollars :mellow: here's hoping they will work...

btw keep us posted on how the regular turn signal LEDs and fogs work out :)

EDIT: forgot to ask, do you have the links to the bulbs you ordered for the tail lights? thanks!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
these are my back up lights:

$11.80 - T10 3W 12V 304-Lumen 38x3020 SMD LED Car White Light Bulb (Pair) - Car LED Light Bulbs

these are my dome, though i might get brighter ones, but they're still really good:

$5.99 - Car Festoon 2W T10 100-Lumen White 6-LED Vehicle Light Bulb - Stainless Steel (DC 12V) - Car LED Light Bulbs

did the rest of my interior, and all other t10 bulbs with these:

$3.25 - T10 1.2W 6500K 70-Lumen 5-SMD LED Car White Light Bulbs (Pair/DC 12V) - Car LED Light Bulbs

and am looking at turn signals, t20s on that site for the remainder of the bulbs.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
^ if the links get taken down, go to deal extreme and search for t10, t20 and festoon. for the reverse bulbs, go with 3W/304 Lumen/38SMD's

i used the T10 1.2W 6500K 70-Lumen 5-SMD LED for all interior bulbs, and license plate, just not the domes.

damn, i got the itch. i'm gonna buy more!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
FYI, according to Kreaper, you need load resistors no matter what on the turn signals:

Next I replaced the front Park-light/Turn-signal with Dual Color Switchback 48 SMD (7441) Turn Signal Bulbs. These Great little bulbs lite up 6000k White when you turn on your parking light or head lights and when you hit your turn signal the white shuts off and it blinks yellow. Special note, when switching turn signals to LED lights you must add a load resistor or your turn signals will hyper-flash. You must add a 6 ohm load resistor for each light (1 front and 1rear) or 1 single 3 ohm load resistor in the front. I happened to already have four 6ohm load resistors from my old car so I paralleled the wires and mounted both up front.

damn...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
these are my back up lights:

$11.80 - T10 3W 12V 304-Lumen 38x3020 SMD LED Car White Light Bulb (Pair) - Car LED Light Bulbs

these are my dome, though i might get brighter ones, but they're still really good:

$5.99 - Car Festoon 2W T10 100-Lumen White 6-LED Vehicle Light Bulb - Stainless Steel (DC 12V) - Car LED Light Bulbs

did the rest of my interior, and all other t10 bulbs with these:

$3.25 - T10 1.2W 6500K 70-Lumen 5-SMD LED Car White Light Bulbs (Pair/DC 12V) - Car LED Light Bulbs

and am looking at turn signals, t20s on that site for the remainder of the bulbs.
So thoughs reverse LED lights are brighter then stock andneed no resistors?!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
correct. they are insanely bright, though you can probably even step up to the $18 pair they have which should be even brighter.

i went with the $12 pair, and LOVE them.

no resistors needed for reverse. only for turn signals.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
also, if you guys are looking for fogs they have this:

h11 - DealExtreme

personally, i'm not sure yet what i'm doing about fogs. for $40 i can get a pair of 55W 3000K HIDs from DDMtuning. i'm leaning towards that. also considering changing my headlights.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.