Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that tail light condensation has been discussed a few times. Most of the time, people seem to have this issue with the right tail light (passenger side for US cars). In that case, the tail light seal is visibly bad. The bad seal looks like a light area at the bottom edge of the tail light. Same with mine...

However, my other tail light seems to be perfectly fine, so no light area in the seal. It still develops some condensation and small droplets when the sun shines on the tail lights after a cold night. Does anyone else notice this with his/her CR-Z?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just went outside and both tail lights have droplets on the inside of the clear lens again. It hasn’t rained and I didn’t wash my car, so I am trying to figure out what the cause is. It often happens when the sun shines on the lights after a cold night, which is also the case now. So the air insight the lights gets relatively warm compared to the clear lens, which causes condensation. However, none of our other cars do this...

All in all, maybe the lights are not leaking, because then I should see droplets after rain or a wash, which isn’t the case. Could it be that the air ‘trapped’ in the lights is just very humid?

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts
Need to find a way to dry them out. Maybe bulbs replaced when it was warm and now it is cold so you get condensation? I beieve there maybe vents, if so maybe they are blocked?

I just went outside and both tail lights have droplets on the inside of the clear lens again. It hasn’t rained and I didn’t wash my car, so I am trying to figure out what the cause is. It often happens when the sun shines on the lights after a cold night, which is also the case now. So the air insight the lights gets relatively warm compared to the clear lens, which causes condensation. However, none of our other cars do this...

All in all, maybe the lights are not leaking, because then I should see droplets after rain or a wash, which isn’t the case. Could it be that the air ‘trapped’ in the lights is just very humid?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need to find a way to dry them out. Maybe bulbs replaced when it was warm and now it is cold so you get condensation? I beieve there maybe vents, if so maybe they are blocked?
Thanks again for the help, Spdbump! You are always very helpful. :)

I have had the car for a little over 8 months and didn’t replace a bulb, but maybe the previous owner did. I don’t know about the vent though. Does anyone know if the tail lights indeed have a vent?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
573 Posts
I don't remember seeing one when I removed mine. I've noticed slight condensation a few times but I never worried about it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This problem disappeared for a while (probably due to the weather), but it is back unfortunately. So condensation and small droplets in both tail lights. I really hoped I didn’t need to mess with the tail lights, but I will be fixing them when I am 2 weeks off from work in 1 week from now. As stated before, I will try this method: Rear light condensation - Re-seal DIY

Furthermore, as Spdbump mentioned, I will check the vents/holes in the tail lights to see if these are blocked. However, I am still note sure if the tail lights indeed have vents/holes, but I will find out. ;)

Does anyone have any experience or general tips regarding this issue? Any things to pay attention to or keep in mind maybe?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
573 Posts
Hope you fix your issue. I did notice condensation once or twice a while ago, but I haven't seen it in at least 8 months, and I'm in Florida so humidity is through the roof. Same goes for headlights.

Personally I'd try to re-seal using rubber butyl adhesive, as it's non-permanent and is what OEMs use on headlights. I've never opened a tail light, but I don't see why they'd be sealed differently than a headlight. Seems like it'd be a lot more work though so it's pure preference.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hope you fix your issue. I did notice condensation once or twice a while ago, but I haven't seen it in at least 8 months, and I'm in Florida so humidity is through the roof. Same goes for headlights.

Personally I'd try to re-seal using rubber butyl adhesive, as it's non-permanent and is what OEMs use on headlights. I've never opened a tail light, but I don't see why they'd be sealed differently than a headlight. Seems like it'd be a lot more work though so it's pure preference.
I am not that handy, so opening the tail lights is a no-go for me. :p

I will do the method I linked and I am thinking to put clear silicone sealant along the full edge of the clear part where it meets the black part of the light unit. However, I am still not sure about that, because the silicone sealant might be visible due to the tail light lenses being clear...

By the way, the humidity here in the Netherlands is normal, but I still have droplets in the tail lights. It happens mostly when it’s cold outside and the sun is shining on the light units, creating ideal circumstances for condensation (and even droplets).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For anyone reading this in the future, I am going to fix the condensation in several steps:
  1. Build out the tail lights and dry them by putting them in a box with a hair dryer.
  2. Put clear UV resin in the light area (bad seal) at the bottom edge of the tail light, as explained here: Rear light condensation - Re-seal DIY
  3. After the resin dried, I will put clear silicone sealant along the full seal of both tail lights, as shown here:
I am not sure when I have time to do it, but I will update this thread when I am done. Wish me luck and any tips or suggestions are always welcome! ;)

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z GT-Navi Milano Red
124 Posts
I have a similar “issue” but I’m not really bothered of it. It doesn’t happen very often. Just have a problem to clean a surface around the cluster. I was planning to do the “eyeliner mod” but I think the previous owner was parking a car under the tree and it’s all green around.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a similar “issue” but I’m not really bothered of it. It doesn’t happen very often. Just have a problem to clean a surface around the cluster. I was planning to do the “eyeliner mod” but I think the previous owner was parking a car under the tree and it’s all green around.
I have cleaned the edges before, because mine were also green. It’s very easy to remove the tail lights, so it’s an easy way to make the car look nicer. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts