Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

order new tailgate struts for my 2010 EX model.
I ordered struts for a 2013 model as it’s the oldest I could find. Unfortunately they don’t fit. They are too long and I can’t compress them enough to put them on.

would I be right in saying that the tail gate struts are the same for all models or does anyone know if they p longer ones on for the 2013 model?

If not, then I guess the company sent me the wrong ones

meant to say they list the part number as

74820STZG011M1-017716

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After some fiddling I managed to get them on. Much better than my worn out one but now the edge of the trunk lid hits the rear of the roof.

Probably because these struts are about 1/2" to long.

I'll just put some rubber edging on the trunk, stop it from scratching the paint

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Buy the right ones and complain they sent you the wrong ones . You will have other issues that can cause more damage.

After some fiddling I managed to get them on. Much better than my worn out one but now the edge of the trunk lid hits the rear of the roof.

Probably because these struts are about 1/2" to long.

I'll just put some rubber edging on the trunk, stop it from scratching the paint

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh I'll message them now. I've just ordered the ones from the link you posted.

Hopefully should do the job

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you find the clips to be poor quality?

Hopefully I can get sorted with these other ones. Their good quality and it's nice not having to hit my head on the trunk.

The extra length on them must be why the trunk now rests on the roof

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
The clips are spring steel and I over bent them while trying to install them and while they work they tend to not stay in place. For insurance to prevent the struts from un-attaching from the mounts I used cable ties to secure them. If I had help and was not working one handed etc maybe the clips may have been fine. The ones I removed were in worse shape!

My hatch never opened fully and when it was cold opened even less. After installing these the hatch opens all the way and works as they should have from brand new.

Did you find the clips to be poor quality?

Hopefully I can get sorted with these other ones. Their good quality and it's nice not having to hit my head on the trunk.

The extra length on them must be why the trunk now rests on the roof

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would anyone happen to know what the Honda part number for the original tail gate struts would be?

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Strangely enough not listed in any of the usual places and they are not marked as Honda on the original ones I removed they were labeled in Asian characters with a large L and R for the two sides. Every site I looked at suggests the same Tuff Struts I referred you to.

Would anyone happen to know what the Honda part number for the original tail gate struts would be?

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Yeh just dug mine out. The part number was on the one labelled R

74820-SZT-G011-M1

The one labelled L is
74870-SZT-G011-M1

here’s a pic of what I was sent
if they are not right they are not right. Replacemnent struts are a common replacement part and the biggest issue is you need the right size. I would get a refund from that vendor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh emailed them and they asked for the part numbers to check.

hopefully I’ll get it sorted

thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
They should know the part numbers they never changed for all years of the CR-Z except maybe 2016!

They simply pulled the wrong ones from their stock!

Yeh emailed them and they asked for the part numbers to check.

hopefully I’ll get it sorted

thanks for the help

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I purchased these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010W2RUUS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $26.45 a pair. Installing was difficult but not impossible especially alone. The clips were the hardest part and as insurance I used cable ties so they do not come off. I have a 2013 and the struts are the same for all years.
Bought and installed these. Perfect fit and seem to be good quality.

The tail gate now opens fully and quickly, thanks for the link Spdbump.

Posted the incorrect ones back

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Did you see what I was saying about the clips? Did you add the 4 cable ties like I suggested?

Bought and installed these. Perfect fit and seem to be good quality.

The tail gate now opens fully and quickly, thanks for the link Spdbump.

Posted the incorrect ones back

1 - 16 of 16 Posts