Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
'11 CBP EX 6MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Finally installed the wheels yesterday, really enjoying the new setup with the Koni Oranges and Swift springs.

It's been raining every other day here in VA, so I haven't washed the car yet.

I also found a dime size bubble in the rear passenger tire, so I've ordered a replacement tire which should be here in a day or so.

For people interested in the wheel/tire specs, these are 17x8 +35 running 195/40's all the way around. Lowered on swift springs I haven't encountered any rubbing and can go full lock to lock with no issues. Rear has a 20mm spacer installed to make it more flush with the fender, there were no issues with clearance, I just wanted it to be more in line with the front wheels.

I'm going to run these tires for the time being, but once it's time to replace I'll be going with a larger tire.

Other than that I ordered some switchback LED bulbs for my front blinkers, along with plug n play resistors so they don't hyper flash. I also ordered a sheet of transparent red vinyl. I plan on using it for the taillights blinker section, so they'll end up being all red, except for the square for the reverse lights.

Reactions: Fediej

·
Registered
'11 CBP EX 6MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Replaced the tire with the bubble yesterday, but I was still getting some vibrations from the rear. Took everything apart to inspect it, and noticed that the stock lug bolts were sticking out past the 20mm spacers, about another mm or 2. It was causing the rear wheels to not fully seat on the spacer, causing the vibrations. Luckily I also have a pair of 25mm spacers, put those on the rear and everything cleared and is rolling super smooth now. Also used my buddy's TPMS reader and OBD2 scan tool to program all 4 sensors to the car, that worked without any issues.

I received the throttle body I bought off eBay today, so I placed my order with MaxBore and will be sending it off today after work.

After getting the bored TB back, along with my header, I think that's gonna be it for bolt on power mods, unless y'all know of any others I could add before getting it tuned. Might possibly do an LSD in the future, just gotta find someone I trust to install it.

Also, since installing that one new tire, it made the tread depth and camber wear of the other tires more obvious. Since I also don't know how old the tires on the wheels are, I'm going to order 3 more so they're all new and matching. For $55 a tire I'll be happy if they last me through to the next summer season, wherein I'll buy some better quality and slightly wider tires.

Other than that I'm still waiting on my gauge pod to come back so I can install my gauges. Also contemplating buying one of the JP style front lips off eBay, since there aren't many options for the CRZ, but I'm not committed to it yet.

·
Registered
'11 CBP EX 6MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Received my gauge pod back yesterday. I'm happy with the way it came out, I can still use the storage for something although I need to clean off whatever they got inside it while they were fabricating the pod.

I also finally received tracking information from RZCrewGarage. My header should be here on Wednesday.

I forgot to order a clamp on o2 Sensor adapter when I bought my gauges, so once that comes in I'll be installing them.

Reactions: Spdbump

·
Registered
'11 CBP EX 6MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Got a couple things accomplished this weekend.

Installed the SuperCircuit header, took about 2 hours from start to finish. It's definitely louder than it was, but not obnoxiously so, and it doesn't have that tinny sound that usually comes with straight pipe exhausts. I can definitely feel the car pulling harder in the mid range RPM's. Emissions System CEL came on about 5 miles after installation, disabled secondary o2 in FlashPro and haven't had CEL issues since. Just waiting to get my throttle body back from MaxBore, then I'll most likely get an etune depending on the price difference from an in person dyno tune.

I also got all the old tint removed, and new 5% installed all the way around. Looks a lot better in my opinion, especially on a black car.

Also decided to mock up my gauges and gauge pod

I'll be actually installing everything and wiring the gauges this coming Friday. I've collected plenty of resources from the forum on wiring best practices and where to route through the firewall. I'm confident I can get it done in a less than a day.

Other than that I completed my front end LED swap by adding LED's to my fog lights and blinkers, with resistors for each. I went with switchbacks on my turn signals, and the white portion of the LED's are almost as bright as my low beams when they're on. The resistors for the blinkers get extremely hot, so I following some information I found on the forum before. I super glued the resistors to flat metal sections of the chassis, and checked them after a full night of driving and they stayed put and nothing around them was hot, so that's a success.

I also ordered my alarm(Viper 5706v), window module(DEI535T) and iDatalink CANBUS Interfuse. The window module will make both windows 1 touch up/down, allow me to roll the windows up/down from the keyfob as well as automatically roll up the windows when the alarm is armed. The iDatalink Interfuse will allow me to have remote start without sacrificing a key.

I bought a set of OEM window visors which I'll be installing once the tint has cured as well.

I've started having issues with my passenger door handle releasing when pulled, which I know is a common issue with CRZ's. My buddy had the drivers side replaced when he still owned it so hopefully that one will hold up, but I gotta order a new one for the passenger side. Install looks like kind of a PITA, but it's better than getting frustrated at the door when it won't open after numerous attempts.

·
Registered
'11 CBP EX 6MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Completed installing my gauges on Friday, took about 7 hours start to finish.

I used a 28mm water temperature adapter, installed in the upper radiator hose for my water temp reading. For oil pressure I was originally going to use an oil sandwich adapter, but after seeing Litz's build thread where he used a T fitting on the factory oil pressure sensor port, I went that route instead. Shoutout to @litz for confirming what size fitting I needed and giving me a link as well. Installation is a bit of a pain in that location, as you only have enough room for 1/4 - 1/2 a turn, so it takes awhile but is definitely worth it IMO. For my wideband o2 sensor, I used a clamp on bung adapter after drilling a 13/16" hole in my T1R test pipe, just before the factory secondary o2 sensor.

As for wiring everything, I used information from this thread: The Gauge Thread

I coupled up all the same color wires at the gauge pod, then ran single wires down to the fuse box, contained within some plastic conduit. For the sensor wires I ran all of them through the grommet on the passenger side of the firewall. I was able to route everything through the firewall with only removing the rear most cover under the passenger side of the dash. I used a straightened out wire coat hanger and it made everything a lot easier. I also tucked the wideband control module into the passenger side of the front portion of the center console, in case I need to push the calibration button in the future.

I'm really happy with how everything turned out, and the fact that I only had 1 issue during installation. I had to change which fuses I tapped into, as using #19 and #40 from the above mentioned thread didn't work for me. I used the power door lock fuse as the constant power, the radio fuse for switched power, then used the positive wire on the cup holder light for the dimmer function. I didn't really take any pics during installation as it's been covered a couple different times before.

Gauges powered up before the sensors were wired.

After everything was complete, sorry for the blur.

I also installed my OEM window visors, I'll get some better pics of everything soon.

Reactions: litz and Spdbump

·
Registered
'11 CBP EX 6MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Haven't had much time for the CR-Z as works been super busy and my chick is out of town so I'm on double dog duty which doesn't leave time for too much else.

I did finally get my alarm and window module installed last weekend. So now both my windows are 1 touch up and down and I have remote start now which is super convenient. I do plan on getting a generic key cut and programmed for the car, as carrying around the alarm fob and the large flip key is pretty bulky.

Snapped a clearer picture of my gauges at night when I went for a drive yesterday. Oil pressure wasn't reading due to the auto stop.

I've also installed a rear window visor and turbulator off eBay. I wasn't sure if I liked the turbulator at first but it's grown on me, I'll post pictures of them when I get time to take some.

In more exciting news, I sent the OEM mirror and camera to my buddy in Texas who loves to do everything auto electronics wise. He's been my auto installer for 10 years and has even went as far as creating numerous custom wiring harnesses from scratch to add power options and accessories to my CRX.

Turns out the first mirror I purchased off eBay was a dud and he couldn't get it to work at all, so he ordered another one off eBay, and sent me this picture last night after bench testing it.

He was able to get everything working with all the OEM hardware and wiring, he should be sending it back to me soon and I'm hoping I get it by next weekend. I'll still need to create a harness for it and run all the necessary wires through the car to the bumper for the camera, but this proves that it's totally possible to add this 2013+ feature to the 2011-2012 CR-Z's.

I've seen a couple different people ask about this mod, so I plan on documenting all the wiring and connectivity while I'm creating the harness so other people can do it as well. I'm gonna order the mirror wiring cover and new clip for the camera, so everything looks as OEM as possible.

Other than that I'm considering ordering the optional body side moldings, side spoilers and rear diffuser, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Reactions: Fediej and Spdbump

·
Registered
'11 CBP EX 6MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Got a couple pics while I was out running errands. Front wheels are dirty as I haven't installed my low dust brake pads yet.

I like how the window visors look, and the install was simple. I wasn't sure about the rear visor and turbulator combo initially, but I've grown to like it.

If I end up keeping the turbulator on I'll more than likely get it painted the same time I get my roof painted.

Lastly, my buddy in Texas who figured out the mirror and camera wiring said he got bored today so he made me a complete harness. So the install will now be plug and play outside of 1 power wire, 1 ground wire and 1 backup light wire. Gotta love it when your friends go above and beyond!

Reactions: Fediej and Spdbump
81 - 88 of 88 Posts