Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Slapped on some 'i-vtec sohc' decals during lunch today. I like 'em.

Seeing as how we're at the tail end of winter and the tires on the car have plenty of tread left, I think i'm just going to powder coat the stock wheels for now, instead of buying wheels. I want to wait until I get the lip kit and suspension, so I can figure out exactly what type of fitment I want/can get.

My gut reaction is black or white, but I plan on powder coating my RL wheels black and I don't need two black on black on black cars, haha. The volks I had on my RSX where white for the last 5 years I owned it, and while they look so good when they're freshly detailed, they get dirty way too quickly.

So I'm thinking of going blue as I think it'll look good in contrast with the black car.

This is the color I'm thinking.

I also ordered a USA Spec BT45-HON3 module to add Bluetooth audio streaming to the factory head unit. I had the BT45-ACU in my 3G TL, and currently have one in my 06 RL. They work great and I've never had any issues with them.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
This is the color I'm thinking.

I also ordered a USA Spec BT45-HON3 module to add Bluetooth audio streaming to the factory head unit. I had the BT45-ACU in my 3G TL, and currently have one in my 06 RL. They work great and I've never had any issues with them.
That blue looks awesome.
I installed a BT45-HON3 in my sister-in-law's 2007 Pilot a couple years ago. She says it works great and loves being able to control her I-phone through her factory stereo(xm) controls via bluetooth. Let us know how it works with the CR-Z.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That blue looks awesome.
I installed a BT45-HON3 in my sister-in-law's 2007 Pilot a couple years ago. She says it works great and loves being able to control her I-phone through her factory stereo(xm) controls via bluetooth. Let us know how it works with the CR-Z.
I installed the BT45-HON3 in the CR-Z last night and it works great!

I got mine off Amazon for $116 shipped, with Prime shipping! LINK HERE
You can also view it on the manufacturers website HERE.

There are two ways to connect the module, and it depends on if you have the XM tuner or not.

If you have the XM tuner, the module plugs into it under the passenger side portion of the dash.

If you don't have an XM tuner(like me), the module plugs directly into the back of the factory non nav head unit.

Removing the head unit is possibly the easiest experience I've had removing a stock radio in my life. You literally remove a single pop off trim panel, remove one screw, then push out the head unit from behind.

Here's the metra instructions to give you an idea.

After the head unit is pulled out, you unplug a single connector, plug the module into that port, then plug the factory harness into the module as well.

Reference to what i'm talking about.

This is the radio plug you have to unplug.

If we look at the modules harness, we can see the white plugs which are what's plugged into the head unit, and what the factory harness plugs into. The black plug goes to the module itself.

As for mounting the module, the harness is very long so you can mount it in many places under the dash, or probably even under the center console if you wanted. I opted to install it with 3M VHB double sided tape, in the left rear portion of the head unit opening, there's plenty of space for the the module and the harness.

Before you do your final mounting though, you'll need to set the modules DIP switches and test connectivity. Below is the flowchart provided by USASpec, to determine your DIP switch positions.

Now from their instructions it would seem I would need to set the switches for the "NO SAT or XM button" settings from the middle, but that would mean the head unit wouldn't display any track information, and I like that feature. So I decided to set the switches to the right most chart settings(that say it's for Odyssey and Pilots) to see what happened. On this setting the module basically gives you a 'fake' XM station(by pressing the AUX button with nothing attached to AUX) from which your BT music will play through, WITH track details on the head unit! You can cycle through what the HU will display(artist,track,album) by pressing the 'Title' button.

All the steering wheel audio controls work as they should to adjust volume and move forward/back through tracks. I was using a USB cable to play music though my iPhone and this module sounds so much better, especially the bass!

I also did not install the included microphone, as you can still take and make calls through the HFL system. The only thing this limits, is if you want to be able to talk to people via 3rd party apps like WhatsApp or Discord. The module also has an AUX port(which isn't that useful for us) and a USB port that provides power only, which I think I may wire up later to have a dedicated charging port somewhere a little more convenient.

I didn't take any pictures of the actual install as I feel it's really that easy of a PnP solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nice! And thanks for the pics and extra details for install and operation, especially the switch positions for info display. Much appreciated! :)
No problem! Glad I could help!

dang, @T.K came in swinging with a really useful mod. Beats the crap out of the bluetooth dongle I've got plugged into the AUX port.
I was originally thinking I'd be okay using the USB cable, but then I drove my RL last week and was reminded how seamless integrated bluetooth is. I'm just happy USASpec makes a module for the CRZ!

Had the local shop I've been hanging out at install my brakes while I was at work yesterday, they feel SO much better. No more warped rotor wobble under hard braking, stopping distance has definitely decreased and the steel braided lines helped the pedal feel a lot!

While the car was there I got a quote from a tint shop next door, I want to remove the current tint and get 5% installed all around. They quoted me $375, which honestly is the highest quote for tint I've ever gotten in my life, but I have a feeling I'm just too spoiled from the homie hookup I had back in Austin. Does anyone else have average price ranges for tinting your Z?

I got my 2011 yellow civic fogs in so I'll probably install those this weekend, might do the rear bumper lights at the same time. I also finished my interior led conversion by replacing the sun visor and glove box lights with LED's. I also received the polyfil I ordered so that's going in soon, can't wait to hear the difference!

I'm still waiting on my OEM armrest and cargo tray, I really can't wait for that armrest as I already commonly think it's there as all my other cars have one.

I've also been thinking about the mugen body kit plan I had, and have actually been considering shifting into getting all the USDM factory optional parts like side skirt extensions, side molding, front lip, rear diffuser and wing instead. The reason being is that after litz was talking about quality of aftermarket parts, I remembered awhile back when I had my RSX, I ordered the mugen kit and took it to a body shop to get installed. The front lip fit great, but the side skirts had to be bolted on top of the factory ones or they wouldn't have enough support, and the rear lip fit, but was always drooping and had to be reinstalled numerous times. The whole experience was just really disappointing and made the car look like crap at times, not really trying to go through all that again. The legit mugen parts seem to be available depending on what parts website you go to, but the OEM stuff is like $650+ per piece, so the front lip could be flash pro, rear lip could be I/H/E, side skirts could be a tune.....you see where I'm going. The OEM accessory parts are readily available, are way cheaper than the JDM stuff, come pre painted where applicable, and seem easy to install. I've also never seen a CRZ with every optional part installed, may be time to try a USDM spec exterior, haha.

I'm also definitely getting the itch for power mods, now that the car is clean, comfortable and obvious issues have been addressed. I've already pretty much settled on the AEM cold air intake and HKS Silent Hi-Power Exhaust, after that I'll need flashpro as I plan on getting the SuperCircuit header and front pipe.

Lastly, I plan on getting an alarm and window modules installed soon, I miss remote start and being able to raise/lower the windows from the key fob, haha.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
375 for a tint is the Eff-your-tiny-car-that-I-have-to-crawl-into price.

I got quoted 350 for the CRZ and only 300 for my wife's matrix, which has more glass, but better access.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
375 for a tint is the Eff-your-tiny-car-that-I-have-to-crawl-into price.

I got quoted 350 for the CRZ and only 300 for my wife's matrix, which has more glass, but better access.
That's a good point, I'm going to end up getting it done one way or another, just wasn't sure if that price was the norm.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
No problem! Glad I could help!

I was originally thinking I'd be okay using the USB cable, but then I drove my RL last week and was reminded how seamless integrated bluetooth is. I'm just happy USASpec makes a module for the CRZ!
I think the only downside is that it doesn't seem to be available for the 2013+ models.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think the only downside is that it doesn't seem to be available for the 2013+ models.
I didn't even realize that. If anyone with a 13+ model lives around the NOVA/DC area and wants to try it out I'm down to see if it'll work.

Cargo tray was waiting for me when I got home, I think it looks great!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So that last bit of interior electronics I want is a backup camera. I'm not a fan of the external displays with 3rd party backup camera's, and since installing the BT45-HON3 I have no plans of installing a double din anytime soon.

This really only leaves me with one option, installing the 2013+ rear view mirror and backup camera. I've already sourced both the mirror and camera(with mounting bracket), but haven't pulled the trigger just yet. I wanted to know if anyone else has done this swap, and how it turned out.

I bought an OEM camera assembly and trim for my RL when I got it, but I couldn't get the OEM camera to work no matter how I had it wired. So I ended up just mounting an aftermarket camera, into the OEM camera housing to keep it as factory looking as possible.

This may be what I have to do for the CRZ, but wanted to see if anyone has been successful in getting the OEM camera to work on a model it wasn't intended to come on. If not I'll do what I can to figure it out, since I can't find just the OEM camera mount, gotta get the whole a$$embly with camera included. I feel the mirror will be straight forward as I'll only need power, ground and video.

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
So that last bit of interior electronics I want is a backup camera. I'm not a fan of the external displays with 3rd party backup camera's, and since installing the BT45-HON3 I have no plans of installing a double din anytime soon.

This really only leaves me with one option, installing the 2013+ rear view mirror and backup camera. I've already sourced both the mirror and camera(with mounting bracket), but haven't pulled the trigger just yet. I wanted to know if anyone else has done this swap, and how it turned out.

I bought an OEM camera assembly and trim for my RL when I got it, but I couldn't get the OEM camera to work no matter how I had it wired. So I ended up just mounting an aftermarket camera, into the OEM camera housing to keep it as factory looking as possible.

This may be what I have to do for the CRZ, but wanted to see if anyone has been successful in getting the OEM camera to work on a model it wasn't intended to come on. If not I'll do what I can to figure it out, since I can't find just the OEM camera mount, gotta get the whole a$$embly with camera included. I feel the mirror will be straight forward as I'll only need power, ground and video.
There are lots of aftermarket rear camera display mirrors and you can pair it with any number of after market cameras. I researched it for another car I had and they are made by the companies the OEMS buy the mirrors and cameras from. One of the companies that makes them is Gentex.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
There are lots of aftermarket rear camera display mirrors and you can pair it with any number of after market cameras. I researched it for another car I had and they are made by the companies the OEMS buy the mirrors and cameras from. One of the companies that makes them is Gentex.

You will also need connection to backup lights to automate the back up function
Thanks for the info Spdbumb. I looked into the Gentex mirrors and they make some really fancy auto vision systems, but I think I can still get the OEM mirror for cheaper, and just go with an aftermarket camera instead.

Not much progress on the CR-Z in the past week, but I did order the performance parts I wanted and they should be here by the end of next week, so hopefully I can install everything on Friday or Saturday.

Parts ordered:
AEM Cold Air Intake w/ Dry Filter Water Shield
T1R Test Pipe
HKS Silent Hi-Power Exhaust
Hondata FlashPro
Hybrid Racing Short Shifter
Hybrid Racing Shifter Cable Bushings
Lamin-X Film (for the fog lights, to prevent them from breaking)

I also picked up a set of Innovative 60a mounts from another member on the forum. Definitely excited to see and feel the difference once everything is installed.

I'm hoping to install my fogs and rear diffuser light at the same time, so it'll be a full day at the shop, haha.

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
As far as I Gentex is the OEM for Honda Mirrors.

I covered all of my lenses to keep them clear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
As far as I Gentex is the OEM for Honda Mirrors.

I covered all of my lenses to keep them clear.
Sorry, I know Gentex makes the OEM mirrors, I can just get a used OEM mirror for cheaper than a new Gentex with the same features.

I mainly just don't want the fog lights to catch a rock and crack right after I install them, which I had happen with my RSX before.

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Covering all lenses is good preventive considering cost of repair or replacement.

I hope OEM Mirror works with third party camera.

Sorry, I know Gentex makes the OEM mirrors, I can just get a used OEM mirror for cheaper than a new Gentex with the same features.

I mainly just don't want the fog lights to catch a rock and crack right after I install them, which I had happen with my RSX before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got some time at the shop today to install a couple things.

First was the Innovative 60a mounts I bought from Whitebeauty. Install was straight forward except that the metal cylinder in the lower mount had to be trimmed a bit to fit, luckily my friend at the shop helped me out. The outcome was exactly what I had hoped for, the car just feels a lot more solid now. I actually enjoy the vibrations that come with stiffer mounts, the 60a is nice without being too much for daily driving. The only consistent rattle I have is with the glove box latch when it's closed, which I'll try and eliminate later. The other thing is the engine seems louder, not sure how that works, haha.

Next up was the Hybrid Racing short shifter, which was also a straight forward install. I used THIS GUIDE from Hybrid Racings website. I have it set on the shortest settings and this thing is amazing! I've had numerous short shifters over the years but this is my first HR one and I don't think I'll ever go back to anything else. The throws are a simple wrist movement now, and the notchy feeling of each gear is fantastic.

Lastly I installed the OEM armrest, which was surprisingly heavier than I thought it would be. I used the OEM instructions, found HERE. Maybe it's because I'm a bigger guy (6'6" 260lbs) but I don't know how other CRZ owners get by without one. It's small, but sturdy as hell and the perfect height for the shifter, I love it!

I'll be going back tomorrow to install the fit intake manifold, AEM CAI, HR shifter cable bushings, fog lights and rear bumper lights. I've received my HKS exhaust, and the T1R test pipe should be here by next weekend, but I'm still holding out hope I'll be able to find a T1R header. I'm going to wait until I have all 3 parts before installing the exhaust.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Installed the ge8 intake manifold and AEM CAI today.

Installs were fairly easy overall. I used a guide from this forum for the intake manifold and the included instructions from AEM for the CAI. The car definitely feels quicker, especially with the basemap from the flashpro. It also sounds a lot more aggressive now.

I also replaced the fog lights while I was at it. It's doable without removing the front bumper, but the passenger side is a real PITA if you don't.

I went with yellow and I think it looks great. Also learned I need plenty of replacement clips as most of mine fell apart upon removal. I threw some polyfil in my stock sub enclosure, makes that 8 sound like a 10, definitely an improvement.

I didn't have time to install the rear bumper lights, and I honestly forgot about the shifter cable bushings until I already had everything back together. I should be able to get to those next weekend.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts