Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Did this Install a while ago and did a write up showing the before and after pictures. You can check it out here http://www.crzforum.com/forum/aftermarket-crowd/1879-led-switchback-park-lights.html

Finally had a chance to do a DIY article on how to install these. For a list of bulbs you will need you can check the list I put together here http://www.crzforum.com/forum/aftermarket-crowd/1879-led-switchback-park-lights.html#post13466

What you will need: LED Bulbs, 6 ohm Load resistor per bulb (or if you plan on replacing your rear bulbs with LED's you can get a 3 ohm load resistor for each side), Electrical tape, solder or solder-less crimp terminals, extra wire, screws, and a metal bracket to mount the load resistors to.

Tools needed: Cordless drill, drill bits, right angle drill adapter or stubby Philips, clip remover tool or a flat head screw driver, 10 mm socket and ratchet, soldering iron or crimpers, wire cutters and strippers, multimeter or test probe.

The difficulty of this project is medium to high. I recommend a basic knowledge of electrical and the proper tools to make this job quick and easy. Should take about 2 hours.

***I always suggest professional installation. Myself and or this website cannot be held responsible if you damage your vehicle or yourself***

Read this thoroughly before you attempt, or decide not to.

First: Bumper removal (This optional but makes the job much easier to do and gives you much better mounting locations for the load resistors.)

Remove all clips (red arrows) by prying up the center pin first then pull the entire clip out. Remove two plastic caps (blue arrows). Remove the rubber strip the clips were holding down and then there is one more clip to remove under it.

Picture of the clip removed.

Driver side wheel well, remove two screws. Repeat on other side.

Passenger side under car. Remove 5 clips and 1 screw on each side of the car.

Pulling the bumper off the car, this is much easier if you have some help. Also have a place cleared out to sit the bumper so it will be out of your way. The bumper clips into a channel under the head light, start at the wheel well (blue arrow) and gently pull out till all clips fully release. Unplug fog light and your done.

Remove 3 10mm bolts holding the headlight in. Remove and unplug all wiring and Turn signal bulb socket. Set aside.

Prep the load resistor by extending the wires about 2 ft. mount them to a metal bracket(I used a piece of aluminum and zinc self tapping screws so they don't rust.) and then mount them to the car. I mounted them under the bumper impact brace. this spot is good because load resistors get hot and this area is away from anything that can melt, second they get air from the front intake area to keep them cool and third it is hidden. I used one 3 ohm load resistor for the left front and rear turn signal and one 3 ohm for right front and rear. (mounted one on each side of the car, you see 2 in this picture because the other is for my DRL, check my DYI for the DRL install.) If you are only replacing the fronts install one 6 ohm resistor on each side. After mounting route and secure the wires (blue arrow) up towards the turn signal plug.

Here is a wiring diagram, always double check wires with a computer safe test probe or multi-meter. Load resistors are just like a light bulb but they produce heat instead of light. They have no polarity so there is no positive or negative. Just hook one side to the turn signal bulbs ground and the other to it positive.

Splice the load resistor wires into the factory wiring, i suggest solder and tightly tape all connections.

Clean up the wiring with tape and split loom, and replace bulb with led bulb. At this point test to make sure you put the bulb in right (LED light are directional so if you plug it in backward its wont hurt the bulb, simply flip it around and it will light up) Once you have checked that your parking light works and turn signals flash properly. Now is a good time to swap HID bulbs or do the DRL light install. Reinstall the headlight and check again.

With the driver side done repeat the same steps for the passenger side. Once all is done and works reinstall the bumper. Now is a good time to swap those fog bulbs.

Use the buddy system, plug in fog lights and lift bumper into place then gently push the bumper into the channel under the headlights. Replace all clips by pushing them in and then push the center pin back in. When putting the clips in under the car there is a hole behind every clip hole that you can put your fingers in to pull the two panels together while securing the clip in it.

Check my other DIY topics for DRL bulb install, tail lights and HID bulb swap.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Kreaper,

Did you check to see if you could find any of the LED type Flashers to replace the stock flasher on the CRZ, instead of using the load resistors? I have used the LED flashers before on motorcycles when converting to LEDs. I just hate the inefficiency of load resistors, because they generate all that heat wasting electricity to simulate the load of regular bulbs.

as in:

Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was defiantly the first thing I check for because I feel the same way about load resistors. Unfortunately most the newer vehicles don't use standard flashers. It is all built into the BCM. Which can be reprogrammed if someone can get there hands on Honda's software for this car. I know this can be done with Audi's BCM, you simply plug into the OBD 2 with a laptop and proper software and turn off load checking on the turn signals plug in your new led bulbs and done.

I checked with my techs at Honda if they had anyway of doing this and at the moment they do not. Doesn't mean we won't see more availability for this in the future.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
That was defiantly the first thing I check for because I feel the same way about load resistors. Unfortunately most the newer vehicles don't use standard flashers. It is all built into the BCM. Which can be reprogrammed if someone can get there hands on Honda's software for this car. I know this can be done with Audi's BCM, you simply plug into the OBD 2 with a laptop and proper software and turn off load checking on the turn signals plug in your new led bulbs and done.

I checked with my techs at Honda if they had anyway of doing this and at the moment they do not. Doesn't mean we won't see more availability for this in the future.
Cool.. thanks..... :thumbsup: never converted a car before...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
revival of the thread for a question...

Kreaper or anyone else who has uninstalled the bumper, Once you have all the screws and clips off you have to pull on the bumper to get it off the car. see below:

Pulling the bumper off the car, this is much easier if you have some help. Also have a place cleared out to sit the bumper so it will be out of your way. The bumper clips into a channel under the head light, start at the wheel well (blue arrow) and gently pull out till all clips fully release. Unplug fog light and your done.
This step says to gently pull until all the clips release. Do you literally only have to pull or do you have to do anything else with these clips to avoid breaking them?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
got the answer to my own question by taking action.

once all the screws and clips are out, start on one side of the bumper. pull up and outward (toward the front of the car). It will loosen a bit. You can use a long flathead screwdriver to push the clips under the headlight to make them release a bit easier.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So i got the swicthback led for the front turn signals with 6om resisters,took the bumper off changed the horns then started with the lights,i got the EU GT-Top Cr-Z,now the socket where the bulb (led) goes in,only has two wires? i put the load resister in those two wires and the led turns amber when i activate the turn signal,but doesn't turn white when normal? i clearly did something wrong,on the diagram there's 3 wires in the led socket? are the european ones different? Please help.

·
Registered
189 Posts
firured as much,well for now they flash yellow,until i work it out,or someone comes along with the same problem...
Thanks anyway

·
Registered
80 Posts
I installed two 6 ohm resistors on each side in the back. There is room behind the taillight assembly to mount both flush with the metal. I'm not an expert on these things but I don't believe these resistors will get very warm since they are just for the blinkers.

Installing them in the back is a lot easier than the front - easier access and no need to figure out which wires to tap into since there are only two to choose from.

left side:

right side:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but I am thinking of swapping out both my front and rear turn signals to LED's. Can I just install 1 pair (2 pcs) 3Ohm resistors and only splice them in the back lighting wires instead of getting 2 pairs (4 pcs) of 6Ohm resistors to be spliced in all 4 locations or all 4 6Ohm in the back (as in the previous post)?

Removing my whole bumper just to put this in seem to be a bit overkill for this mod.

Thanks...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi All.. I am hoping someone has some experience in this. I replaced my front turn signal to these switchbacks... 3157 Switchback Dual Color 120-SMD LED Turn Signal Light. They work just fine when using them as parking and turn signals EXCEPT when locking and unlocking. They do not flash, or when they do, it sometimes works or just one side flashes. Is there a difference between the 3157 bulbs and the 7443 bulb electronics that would do this?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.