Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any word on superchips in development for the car? i have searched google but cant find anything. i remember someone saying hondata was developing one? but on their website i cant find anything...

and no im not talking about the super amazing magical 60hp for 39.99 chips....lol

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
not sure what a superchip is but if you're looking for a way to tune your ECU, i hear Hondata is working on something... but they might take some time to release it... and even when they do, it will probably be released as a reflash first and then fully tunable... that way they can make money on the poor suckers first then get more from them once they buy the real fully tunable ECU program...

other than that, standalone ECU's are always an option if you know how to wire them in...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks bizzybear...thats what i was thinking that hondata was developing something but i couldnt find any more info regarding that.

well superchip is the term ppl down here in the uk use for the ecu modifications...so it is essentially a ecu mod lol

i wouldnt mind a nice performance gain via the ecu mod route...someone i know who has a vw golf edition 3.0 got it chipped which gave really good gains close to the 300hp mark when the engine was 230hp stock.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love to see a gain of 30+bhp on that Hondata. But stick to common sense... For more gains, should really work on intakes and exhaust before touching the ECU.
yep true say...although im on the fence about the intakes and exhausts at the moment as they seem highly priced to me. i guess i need to be patient since the car is still new so it will take some time.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
sidenote, superchips is also a company that makes an ECU flasher. i don't think they touch imports, but i could be wrong. all i know is that they have many domestic applications. this was an option when i had my mustang, that's how i know of them. of course between diablo, SCT and superchips, IMO SCT was the best tuner.

·
Registered
183 Posts
yep true say...although im on the fence about the intakes and exhausts at the moment as they seem highly priced to me. i guess i need to be patient since the car is still new so it will take some time.
Honestly, the ones that are out may be somewhat high priced, but that is because of the R&D that went into them. I have the HKS Racing Suction Reloaded intake, and I have absolutely no complaints about it. And also, while intakes and exhaust upgrades may not be quite as noticeable as an ECU upgrade may be, if you get them before hand, it will make the ECU upgrade do even more when you do get it (if that makes any sense).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly, the ones that are out may be somewhat high priced, but that is because of the R&D that went into them. I have the HKS Racing Suction Reloaded intake, and I have absolutely no complaints about it. And also, while intakes and exhaust upgrades may not be quite as noticeable as an ECU upgrade may be, if you get them before hand, it will make the ECU upgrade do even more when you do get it (if that makes any sense).
i agree with you completely mate i understand that the companies have put in alot of hard work into the R&D etc and thats appreciated.

but also since they are the first parts out in the market the high price point is to be expected.

patience will pay off i guess cos im pretty sure other companies will soon release their own parts but cheaper.

for example k&n might be an option to look out for in the future.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well some things to keep in mind here:

• Hondata is US based and unless the cars are identical, don't expect an ECU upgrade from them to be released over there.
  • your friends VW was probably Turbo, so the gains on those are much easier with just a retune.
oh thats just great...if hondata release something it wont be for the eu market... :angry:

and yes i think it does have a turbo the edition 30 golfs, i was suprised by the improvement which was something like 60-70bhp increase for £300.

i know we wouldnt see this kind of improvement but something along the lines of 50+ would be a nice touch!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
oh thats just great...if hondata release something it wont be for the eu market... :angry:

and yes i think it does have a turbo the edition 30 golfs, i was suprised by the improvement which was something like 60-70bhp increase for £300.

i know we wouldnt see this kind of improvement but something along the lines of 50+ would be a nice touch!
95% of your friend's gains were due to the turbo. on a tune alone, expect +/- 10whp, at best. with a CAI, you can probably net a total of 15-25 whp with a good tune, and premium fuel.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
not sure what a superchip is but if you're looking for a way to tune your ECU, i hear Hondata is working on something... but they might take some time to release it... and even when they do, it will probably be released as a reflash first and then fully tunable... that way they can make money on the poor suckers first then get more from them once they buy the real fully tunable ECU program...

other than that, standalone ECU's are always an option if you know how to wire them in...
A Standalone ECU is your only option for now. But if you have to go through annual inspection and endure an OBD2 scan, you won't pass. Period.

In reality, standalone ECUs are a pain for street cars. I know; I've run one.

I also think the US reflash will work with a UK car. Why wouldn't it? That's a serious question, btw. :)

95% of your friend's gains were due to the turbo. on a tune alone, expect +/- 10whp, at best. with a CAI, you can probably net a total of 15-25 whp with a good tune, and premium fuel.
I wouldn't quite say 95%. Mabye 65-75%. But you're correct, tunes do much more for forced induction engines.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
^ you're right. i'd say a better estimate would be 85-90% though. think about it 70whp just on a tune, 10% of 70 is 7, which would be reasonable for just a tune.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
A Standalone ECU is your only option for now. But if you have to go through annual inspection and endure an OBD2 scan, you won't pass. Period.

In reality, standalone ECUs are a pain for street cars. I know; I've run one.

I also think the US reflash will work with a UK car. Why wouldn't it? That's a serious question, btw. :)
no inspections in Florida :pP:

I didn't say it wouldn't work on their cars... i just said it probably won't be released unless they're identical... Hondata will probably release it and put a disclaimer saying "For US models only!" what they mean is that is might work for other markets but only guaranteed to work on US models...

a good example is when the FlashPro was released for the USDM Civic Si, they said it wouldn't work with the CDM (Canadian) Acura CSX Type-S, even tho the cars are identical... USDM=K20Z3 - CDM=K20Z4... but the differences are so tiny that it doesn't change any of the numbers...

i don't think EDM will have this problem b/c other than the headlights and a few goodies they get, the USDM is the exact same car... engine code/etc all match...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
no inspections in Florida :pP:

I didn't say it wouldn't work on their cars... i just said it probably won't be released unless they're identical... Hondata will probably release it and put a disclaimer saying "For US models only!" what they mean is that is might work for other markets but only guaranteed to work on US models...

a good example is when the FlashPro was released for the USDM Civic Si, they said it wouldn't work with the CDM (Canadian) Acura CSX Type-S, even tho the cars are identical... USDM=K20Z3 - CDM=K20Z4... but the differences are so tiny that it doesn't change any of the numbers...

i don't think EDM will have this problem b/c other than the headlights and a few goodies they get, the USDM is the exact same car... engine code/etc all match...
Lucky SOB on the no inspection in Florida. Although, I bet there are some dangerous condition cars driving around.

Now that you mention it, the AccessPort hand-held ECU tuner from COBB Tuning had that same disclaimer on the tunes you could download from their site. But that's because the US was the only market with a 2.5l turbo (ej257). The rest of the world got the smaller 2.0l turbo (ej207).

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.