Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to put a catchy title on that lol.

I can't believe that I was actually going to sell my CRZ for a project car...

Got in it today, after driving my wifes Buick for a week, and fell in love again lol.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was about to buy an old Porsche as a classic car, but once I realized the repair and upkeep of a "project car", I decided to just get a more interesting daily driver instead.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was about to buy an old Porsche as a classic car, but once I realized the repair and upkeep of a "project car", I decided to just get a more interesting daily driver instead.
Yeah, the upkeep and reliability of a project car was definitely a huge factor in me keeping it.

Yep, definitely keeping it. I can't get rid of a car this good lol.

On base here, there is a private resale lot. So, I'm out $10, but whatever.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think you made a wise choice. An old project car has two issues:

Problems that you know about that you are fixing or intend to fix.

Problems that you dont know about that are about to occur. These are things from the accumulation of wear and tear over the history of the car.

And I always have an uneasy feeling about taking an old car on a trip or on a jaunt in the mountains.

Sometimes its better to start off with a clean sheet. But I'll still keep an eye out for nice restorations. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had been looking at 1979-1989 Porsches for about 6 months and actually located two real nice ones orig owners low miles great condition and had my man look them over. Even in these cases it was breought to my attention the cars would need yearly maintenance between 3-5k a yr unless unpredicted problems arose... and with a 30 yr old car things are going to start happening .. I then found the CRZ and it was love thereafter.. It's just as much fun for me to drive I appreciate the economy the handling the look it's so rare to se one on the road and will enjoy the reliability and maintenance..It just made more sense ...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah, the difficulty I had with Porsches was trying to convince the seller than despite the claimed $35k that they had put into the car, it was still only worth $17k on the market. And as you mentioned, the expense of the maintenance and unexpected upkeep talked me out of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had been looking at 1979-1989 Porsches for about 6 months and actually located two real nice ones orig owners low miles great condition and had my man look them over. Even in these cases it was breought to my attention the cars would need yearly maintenance between 3-5k a yr unless unpredicted problems arose... and with a 30 yr old car things are going to start happening.
I'm surprised to see others cross-shopping older 911s besides myself. I purchased a couple of books on the subject but after reading a bit and paying attention to the experience of others, I believe I'll be looking at other options.

My daily driver is a Miata and I love it. However, it is 15 years old and there are times when a closed roof driving experience would be preferred. I plan to buy new or slightly used next year and the top contenders are the Hyundai Veloster, a Mazdaspeed2 (if available), a Fit Si (if available), or a CR-Z.

I've seen two CR-Zs in person and they look fantastic. Combined with Honda's reputation for reliability, one of the best driver's dash layouts available, and a good fun-to-mpg factor makes for a compelling package. I think you did the right thing by keeping yours Chris.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I plan to buy new or slightly used next year and the top contenders are the Hyundai Veloster, a Mazdaspeed2 (if available), a Fit Si (if available), or a CR-Z.
The Veloster should be revealed this week. However, it seems to be a much different design than the original 2dr. coupe concept car. The images I've seen have been of a 4 door and the lines just don't look as good as the concept. And keep in mind that the 40mpg figure that's been bandied about is hwy. The combined mpg score is what you'll need to pay attention to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.