Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon this Japanese blog and noticed this guy replaced his suspension top mounts due to wear and tear. He also replaces the top nuts with a Honda Fit one. Notice the Fit one has a flange and in theory it can secure the top rubber mounts better.

Has any one done this to their car ?

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/175090/car/874855/2870432/note.aspx

Parts for the Fit nut:
90215-TM6-003
Washer:
90551-SAA-000

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
I stumbled upon this Japanese blog and noticed this guy replaces his suspension top mounts due to wear and tear. He also replaces the top nuts with a Honda Fit one. Notice the Fit one has a flange and in theory it can secure the top rubber mounts better.

Has any one done this to their car ?

Parts for the Fit nut:
90215-TM6-003
Washer:
90551-SAA-000
Looks like they changed the design for the 2016 and newer Fit, since the earlier model Fits have the same design as the CR-Z. I have the beatrush pillow ball upper mounts in the 6-Speed, but didn't have any problems with the original top mounts, but if you ever have to change them, I'd try out the newer Fit pieces just for some real world testing. Thanks for the info! :smile2:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like they changed the design for the 2016 and newer Fit, since the earlier model Fits have the same design as the CR-Z. I have the beatrush pillow ball upper mounts in the 6-Speed, but didn't have any problems with the original top mounts, but if you ever have to change them, I'd try out the newer Fit pieces just for some real world testing. Thanks for the info! :smile2:
Nice ! I am curious if the beatrush pillow ball mounts significantly decreases ride comfort for you.

I am thinking these parts are cheap and not wearable items so I might bite to see the effect.

Here's another website I found:

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/587939/blog/28263102/

The guy has a Honda GE8 and he replaced those top mount nuts. Here's his feedback at the end (I used google translate):

"Regarding the effect, it seems that the sense of stability of the behavior of the car has increased with the feeling of running through the streets.

Because I am not running in full swing, I can only say this, but if I feel a feeling, I would like to upload it to my blog again."

To me, it makes sense since the surface contact area has increased and the rubber mounts are more solidly installed to the body.

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Nice ! I am curious if the beatrush pillow ball mounts significantly decreases ride comfort for you. ....
No, the beatrush top mounts didn't significantly decrease comfort, but I already had my Mugen suspension under it and installed the Spoon FSB at the same time, so it's difficult to say. However, going from the 6-Speed, which has all the suspension goodies, to the CVT, I do notice a better "ride," but with that, is the extra body lean. :smile2: To each his own, though--the OEM set up is perfect for all around driving pleasure and fun.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the beatrush top mounts didn't significantly decrease comfort, but I already had my Mugen suspension under it and installed the Spoon FSB at the same time, so it's difficult to say. However, going from the 6-Speed, which has all the suspension goodies, to the CVT, I do notice a better "ride," but with that, is the extra body lean. :smile2: To each his own, though--the OEM set up is perfect for all around driving pleasure and fun.

Great combo/ touge set up! When I get those Honda Fit top nuts, I will update this post and share my feedback.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here we go:

Updates:

Washers between the nuts and the rubber mounts are required for this installation. If the old washers are still intact, reuse them.

I’m gonna spend a few days testing them.

Updates:

Washers are required for this installation. If the old washers are still intact, reuse them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The washer on the left looks like a lock washer. Also the washers are often used to get the desired torque specs without damaging the materials being held together.

For anyone else that see's this I have some nice hardware with beauty washers from here Bolt Boys! Can probably cross reference them or email them and get CRZ threading and sizes.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The washer on the left looks like a lock washer. Also the washers are often used to get the desired torque specs without damaging the materials being held together.

For anyone else that see's this I have some nice hardware with beauty washers from here Bolt Boys! Can probably cross reference them or email them and get CRZ threading and sizes.
You're right. I found this diagram for Honda Fit. The washers should be used between the top nut and the mount. Thanks for pointing out. BTW, I found the torque setting to be 32ft/lb (https://www.crzforum.com/forum/handling-braking-suspension-discussion/9584-suspension-torque-specs.html)

resource.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yup! It also can prevent odd mushrooming since it spreads the force of the nut across a wider area. (think of this going BOTH ways, you torquing the nut down, but also the possiblity of the strut pushing up into the nut for some reason. Typically you always want to use a washer with a nut. Or it'll be a flanged nut etc.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup! It also can prevent odd mushrooming since it spreads the force of the nut across a wider area. (think of this going BOTH ways, you torquing the nut down, but also the possiblity of the strut pushing up into the nut for some reason. Typically you always want to use a washer with a nut. Or it'll be a flanged nut etc.

That makes sense. I put the washers back and the new nuts still hugs the rubber mounts nicely. I can’t wait to test it tomorrow.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I drove the car to get gas this morning and the car is noticeably more stable on uneven pavement / road imperfections. The Steering wheel doesn’t fight back and turning feels a lot more solid. I will update this post in case I need any adjustment or modification. It’s definitely an easy mod that makes a difference.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very good find! I've been looking for a remedy to fix the gap that my Fit and CR-Z has developed with their front strut's rebound stop damper and the body of the car. This and the strut mounting damper might just be the fix.

It turns out that the TM6 part number actually leads to both the GK5 Fit and the RU5/RU6 HR-V (since that's an HR-V parts diagram) in the US market as well as appears that it may interchange with a WIDE range of older Hondas using a similar strut rebound stop damper.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good find! I've been looking for a remedy to fix the gap that my Fit and CR-Z has developed with their front strut's rebound stop damper and the body of the car. This and the strut mounting damper might just be the fix.

It turns out that the TM6 part number actually leads to both the GK5 Fit and the RU5/RU6 HR-V (since that's an HR-V parts diagram) in the US market as well as appears that it may interchange with a WIDE range of older Hondas using a similar strut rebound stop damper.

Thanks, I also notice the HR-V using the same part as the Fit. I have seen the gap situation you are talking about. Check out this article:

This guy changed all worn off parts.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I need to do some investing. Ever since I went from lowered springs to stock height, I have developed a bump or knock noise in the front when going over the speed humps at work. I thought it was just a loose top nut on the struts.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need to do some investing. Ever since I went from lowered springs to stock height, I have developed a bump or knock noise in the front when going over the speed humps at work. I thought it was just a loose top nut on the struts.

That’s what happened to my friend and he forgot to tighten the top nut. Well it could be many things including stabilizer links , control arms, ball joints, or the top/bottom mounts. I think it’s good to replace the mounts like the link I included above when you do suspension work.

Let me know how your research goes in case I have similar issue.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had to install new end links. The stickers would not loosen and I wound up breaking the Allen opening in one end link so I drilled them out. I have an oil change due this weekend so I am going to give everything a good look.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had to install new end links. The stickers would not loosen and I wound up breaking the Allen opening in one end link so I drilled them out. I have an oil change due this weekend so I am going to give everything a good look.

Nice ! I think I will replace the end links when I upgrade my suspension as well. My shocks are too new to be replaced so I will wait a bit. I had my oil change last weekend too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts