Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CR-Z is in the shop and the dealer wants to keep it for another day.

2011 CVT with 32K miles.

On cold days (cold being 25 or below) after the car has been sitting all night I get a strange behaviour when starting out for the day.

In the first 1/2 mile, the battery charge indicator drops very, very quickly. Light acceleration, constant speed, even coasting or braking. The indicator will drop as low as showing only one bar.

However, when I start up a hill, and the boost kicks in, I have seen the charge indicator actually go UP.

The performance of the car is "normal" and after between 3 and 10 miles (depending on how cold it is out) everything goes back to normal.

Very, very strange.

I dropped the car off at the dealership last night (since it was going to be in the teens overnight) and they confirmed the behaviour this morning. They are talking to Honda NA about it and will be keeping the car until tomorrow, at least.

So the question is: Has anyone seen this strange set of symptoms? :cry:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
No battery weirdness like that for me.
It gets cold here in Toronto, Canada sometimes. Still no problem at -15 C. (5 F.)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Literally same thing started to happen with me. I can notice the fact that the IMA doesn't assist on accelerations, the hybrid motor makes a hugely noticeable torque difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I never notice it because I have only ever driven a few dozen miles in "Normal" or "Sport" mode since I bought the car.

But it is great to know that other people have seen this, too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No battery weirdness like that for me.
It gets cold here in Toronto, Canada sometimes. Still no problem at -15 C. (5 F.)
I seen a couple Cr-z here in winnipeg canada in minus 30 and no problems, work with a guy that has one and says great all winter!! Mine is stored away all winter so cant tell you from my experience!! 2 more weeks and it'll be back on the road :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I guess I never notice it because I have only ever driven a few dozen miles in "Normal" or "Sport" mode since I bought the car.

But it is great to know that other people have seen this, too.
It sounds like you were experiencing a battery recalibration. Where you'll see 1-2 bars of regen but the battery will keep dropping to 1 bar, then the meter will refill itself at about 1 bar per second.

I had one at just over 5000 miles which was a bit odd.

Here are some youtube vids of civic hybrids experiencing a "recal"

2007 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA battery recal problems - YouTube

2007 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA Battery Problems After Software Update - YouTube

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like you were experiencing a battery recalibration.
Thanks for the pointers. What leaves me a bit confused is why this would happen every day when it is really cold out and not at all when it is about 35 or above.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It shouldn't do that. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out. When the Civic Hybrid owners experienced this it usually preceded a battery replacement. Please keep us updated.

If the dealer says anything about updating your software, keep a close eye on your mileage.

·
Registered
101 Posts
little off topic but im woundering if anyone has this problem... it will happen in the morning once in a while... ill drive to DD to get some coffe and ill have about 4 bars of ima ill come to a stop and the car brings the rpms up as if the motor is trying to warm up and my ima bars drop down to nothing...and it will stay like that till it regenerates 1 bar of ima for no reason im always conffused as to why it does it... anyone know whats wrong or is it "normal" operation?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JDM, That is some of the behaviour that I see, just for me it happens at a stoplight. Currently it isn't as bad as yours, but still obvious.

Maybe it is just the precursor to the battery failing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have had the battery do a rapid discharge while sitting a stoplight twice now and it is not with cold weather (80+ each time). It took normal driving to get it to charge again. Only 15k miles on the car so I'm not going to be happy if the batteries are going out already.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've not experienced these exact symptoms but i had had some battery strangeness happen. Driving home yesterday afternoon, cruising on the highway. Start to go up a long hill and notice the car is just gutless (running in Econ mode but even more gutless than usual). I look down and the battery meter is flat... no bars, nothing. I've had the car for about a month now and even with abusive driving in Sport it's never done that. Finally make it up the hill and exit on a road that has a long downhill section; used that to regen the battery.
The outdoor temp was about 89 or 90 yesterday... Anyone having heat-related issues?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ik econ mode drains a lot more ima battery only cause it trys to conserve gas so it uses it a lot more then other modes trying using sport mode for climbing hills... it even tells u in the manual to do that lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
I must have looked over that when I skimmed the manual... Thanks for the pointer.

Looking to the future, however, has anyone had battery problems with the heat? Last summer we had about 22 days straight of 110° temps and this year isn't looking any better...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

This is my first post here, I found this forum because this thread is linked to my YouTube video :) Mine is the first one RichXKU posted of my 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. As you can see from the video, my car is pretty bad and has very noticeable symptoms and "recals".

There are several class action lawsuits going on right now against Honda regarding these issues (that they are trying to ignore, I might add). The official website setup by Honda and the Settlement Administrator is: Client Settlement Site > Home

I would be very curious to hear more about any issues CR-Z's might be having, and how they relate to the widespread HCH failures. As you guys have discussed, Honda refuses to do anything about it until your car is inoperable and/or throws an IMA Error Code light (HCH-II's are programmed to only throw an error when total battery capacity is 10% of specification!). Please feel free to contact me by any means necessary regarding these issues, I have been researching this for several months and may have some helpful info for you. Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I experienced this today. Sitting at a traffic light and autostop didnt kick in and it was idling slightly (very slightly) higher than a normal non autostop idle. During the stop it showed it was charging the IMA battery (which was at about 4 bars at the time), then it suddenly dropped to 1 bar. and the car idle went to lower RPMs than usual. Light turned green and I started driving but the IMA didn't seem any different and didn't act as though it only had 1 bar. Battery level shot up very quickly to a completely full charge (which it almost never does unless I consciously try to achieve it), and then it seemed fine. Any idea what this means? Is something wrong with the batteries or did the software just get off with the charge meter somehow? I haven't even had it a full year and I will be very depressed if it means something is going wrong with it.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts