Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering about the proper way to drive this car. (Plus it's been a long time since I drove a manual so could use general technique tips).

When coming to a stop, to get a good charge, I need to leave the vehicle in gear much longer than I would have w. my old truck.
Today I started leaving it in gear till it slows to about 6mph, and then I just nudge the stick to neutral w/out pressing the clutch. It works smoothly..
Is there an issue w/ doing this?

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've been wondering about the proper way to drive this car. (Plus it's been a long time since I drove a manual so could use general technique tips).

When coming to a stop, to get a good charge, I need to leave the vehicle in gear much longer than I would have w. my old truck.
Today I started leaving it in gear till it slows to about 6mph, and then I just nudge the stick to neutral w/out pressing the clutch. It works smoothly..
Is there an issue w/ doing this?

Thanks
You're going to get a little extra clutch and linkage wear by not clutching it out of gear, even at 6pmh. I'd rec coasting to a stop with the clutch in from about 15-20mph to up your mpg and then taking it out of gear (clutch in) when stopped. The CR-Z coasts really really well.

You'll get more charging of the electric motor battery at higher rpms and too much drag on your speed by not having the clutch in at lower rpms. The electric motor doesn't need to be fully charged all the time, you can have it a half or even below without risk of it falling all the way down too soon.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You are correct. IMA battery is charged while the vehicle is in gear (Manual Transmision). I put it into neutral sooner cause my vehicle would give me a horse ride if I left it in gear too long. On page 11 of Owner's Manual it suggest depressing clutch below 19mph.

Oh, after reading your post again...am I correct you did not depress clutch but push gear into neutral? I think that is bad. You could grind your gear not to mention breaking it. I always depress clutch and move to neutral and release clutch so as not to ride the clutch. I have not touch a manual for over 10 years but it is like second nature.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Agree with you all. I leave the car in gear when I come to a stop for two reasons, charge the battery and reduce wear on the brakes by using engine drag.

When I get to a point, I depress the clutch, put the shifter in neutral and in most cases I barely need to use the brakes.

Works like a champ.

sparrow

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been keeping Zed (Pearl) in gear till right before she would buck or stall while coming to a stop. I see that the dash display still shows it charging from the braking till almost a complete stop.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've been keeping Zed (Pearl) in gear till right before she would buck or stall while coming to a stop. I see that the dash display still shows it charging from the braking till almost a complete stop.
Why ... no offense intended ... but I don't understand why you would want to do that instead of coasting to a stop and / or downshifting, which would improve your mpg to some degree over slowing down always in gear. If it is because of wanting to charge the electric motor could you explain why it needs that much charging?

·
Registered
108 Posts
David, it's just something I've gotten used to doing. I do like the fact that by charging the battery I will get a bit more mileage but also I want my car to be in gear almost all the time. You never know when you might need to give her some gas to avoid something or someone. Down here in Florida where half of the people are a hundred years old and the other half don't have auto insurance or a drivers license it pays to be able to get out of the way quick!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.