Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just bought a CR-Z (used to own a CR-X back in the day! ) and am looking for a stereo wiring diagram. There are a few plugs on the factory stereo so a diagram would make it a lot easier. Installing a new double dinn and want to include steering control etc.

Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
If an older one you can purchase factory service manuals here Helm Incorporated: Product Search Engine

A few have posted the same manual or will provide a link. and somewhere in all the in car entertainment section you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Welcome we would love to know what year trim color etc you have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a white 2012 New Zealand SR model with 46,000 on the clock. Black interior.

Thanks for the link, but I don't really need a whole manual. Just the pinouts of those three plugs. Just to make it easier to wire the steering control, mic etc. For the cost of that manual I could have the whole lot professionally installed!

Any diagram of the wiring would be appropriciated!

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
I bought a white 2012 New Zealand SR model with 46,000 on the clock. Black interior.

Thanks for the link, but I don't really need a whole manual. Just the pinouts of those three plugs. Just to make it easier to wire the steering control, mic etc. For the cost of that manual I could have the whole lot professionally installed!

Any diagram of the wiring would be appreciated!
I think some of the members here will be willing to provide a free link to the manual. I have a 2013 and there is no manual available. There is lots of information available in the forum you just have to look for it or sometimes the other members will help out. Sorry I don't have the information you need.

For inspiration wander over to http://www.crzforum.com/forum/cr-z-build-threads/14083-rustbucket-s-build-thread.html or http://www.crzforum.com/forum/cr-z-build-threads/61426-litz-s-2013-pwp-build-thread.html build threads.

I have also found at least in my experience that many so called professionals have no idea what they are doing and butcher stuff. Be careful.

IMHO cheap crimp connectors are not the right way to do professional wiring. Use posi-locks or solder and heat shrink. When done you should not be able to tell your wiring from the factory.

If you get a wiring kit that has matching connectors to the car you will find they are well documented and it allows you to revert to factory later if you ever want to. There is a company here https://www.crutchfield.com/m_750/Car-Stereo-Installation-Parts.html that when you buy your system from them they include a wiring kit and other parts and kits to assist with installation. Maybe looking at their page will help you.

Metra is a company that makes all the parts for the swap you want to do.

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts

Any diagram of the wiring would be appropriciated!
Here's a link to the link to download a copy of the service manual:
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/honda-cr-z-owners-forum/73258-workshop-manual.html#post1120050
No telling if there is any difference with the New Zealand model...good luck with the mods!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
.... And yes to the earlier comments about doing the install properly with heat wrap etc. .....
Bear in mind that every connection in your car, as well as all those cars around you on the road, were done at the factory with crimp connections. Not the cheesy 3M connectors crushed on with a pair of pliers, but real connectors done with crimping dies shaped and sized for the application.

·
Registered
11 Posts
a proper crimp with a hydraulic crimper creates a cold weld fusing the 2 wires and connector together into 1 solid piece. better than soldering but needs to be done properly

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
Lets agree to disagree.

Hydraulic industrial crimping tool maybe better but for a DIY, soldering is better than the cheap crimps most people use. Soldering if done properly is a permanent one piece connection. There are special pins for connectors that are crimped with a specific crimp tool with a die for the pin to wire connection, there are also solder-able pins. I have been soldering for many decades and was taught in school how to do that for both wiring and building all kinds of electronic items and repairing them.

In summary commercially things are soldered or crimped for DIY the crimp tools for the most part are not as good as soldering.

a proper crimp with a hydraulic crimper creates a cold weld fusing the 2 wires and connector together into 1 solid piece. better than soldering but needs to be done properly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts