Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a slight clunk every now and again when I turn the steering. Mainly from when the car is stationary. There is a nut to tighten the steering rack.
Had anyone tighten theirs and can it be done without the honda steering rack wrench tool?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
it's probably not your steering rack - it's probably your sway bar links. mine had a similar clunk that went away when I replaced my sway bar links.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z Ex (6MT)
28 Posts
I would check the inner/outer tie rod and swaybar end links. Your car might have 49k but it doesn't mean a part can't go bad.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z Ex (6MT)
28 Posts
That's the annoying thing about cars. Things usually go bad after we checked or do something. Lol I would double check since it'll take a couple minutes to jack the front up and check. Our Zs have an electric rack so there shouldn't be much to it. I highly doubt the rack went bad but who knows. Oh and check the axle nut too that might come loose if you do check the ends.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the annoying thing about cars. Things usually go bad after we checked or do something. Lol I would double check since it'll take a couple minutes to jack the front up and check. Our Zs have an electric rack so there shouldn't be much to it. I highly doubt the rack went bad but who knows. Oh and check the axle nut too that might come loose if you do check the ends.
Pretty sure the nut you are asking about is under the pedals? @kingmonkey8

Check these instructions out:

Steering Rack Removal
No, the nut is on the rack itself. It's the rack guide screw or slipper yoke. Most steering racks have them. It puts pre-load on the rack. Adjusting it tightens up any play within the rack. There is a special Honda steering rack wrench to adjust it.
I've checked the one under the pedals and that one's tight.

Similar to this
Honda Steering Rack ‘Slipper’ or Yoke Adjustment

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
No, the nut is on the rack itself. It's the rack guide screw or slipper yoke. Most steering racks have them. It puts pre-load on the rack. Adjusting it tightens up any play within the rack. There is a special Honda steering rack wrench to adjust it.
I've checked the one under the pedals and that one's tight.

Similar to this
Honda Steering Rack ‘Slipper’ or Yoke Adjustment
so I looked at the troubleshooting criteria for that adjustment procedure in the CRZ service manual and it should only be adjusted if you have excess play in the steering wheel (if you can move the steering wheel more than 10mm either direction from center before the wheels start to move) or if it takes excessive force to turn the wheels (more than 3KG weight hung off the spoke of the steering wheel).

Clunking when turning the steering wheel is one of a few things:
  • tie rod ends
  • ball joint
  • sway bar end link
  • spring perch
  • strut bearing In the top mount assy of your strut
  • the steering column itself
Based on my experience, the most likely cause is the tie rod end links or the ball joints. After that, the spring perch and sway bar links. Usually the strut bearing causes more of a grating noise than a clunk, and it's almost impossible to hear while driving.

The EPS racks on these cars are very robust. I think it is more likely that you have a damaged suspension component (I know potholes have taken a toll on my suspension) at 49K miles than that your steering rack preload needs adjusted.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so I looked at the troubleshooting criteria for that adjustment procedure in the CRZ service manual and it should only be adjusted if you have excess play in the steering wheel (if you can move the steering wheel more than 10mm either direction from center before the wheels start to move) or if it takes excessive force to turn the wheels (more than 3KG weight hung off the spoke of the steering wheel).

Clunking when turning the steering wheel is one of a few things:
  • tie rod ends
  • ball joint
  • sway bar end link
  • spring perch
  • strut bearing In the top mount assy of your strut
  • the steering column itself
Based on my experience, the most likely cause is the tie rod end links or the ball joints. After that, the spring perch and sway bar links. Usually the strut bearing causes more of a grating noise than a clunk, and it's almost impossible to hear while driving.

The EPS racks on these cars are very robust. I think it is more likely that you have a damaged suspension component (I know potholes have taken a toll on my suspension) at 49K miles than that your steering rack preload needs adjusted.
I check the steering again with the car on the ground. There doesn't seem to be any play in the steering. The steering feels quite direct. Even the smallest inputs, I can see the wheels move. Everying else, sway bar, rod ends feels tight.
It's probably nothing. I only get it occasionally when I first turn the wheel. It's not a big clunk as if something is damaged.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My car has a very similar issue.
When I flick the steering from centre point when parked. I can hear a slight clunk under the dash/steering rack area.

Still not sure exactly what causes it but it isn't a major problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the same as my issue.
My car has a very similar issue.
When I flick the steering from centre point when parked. I can hear a slight clunk under the dash/steering rack area.

Still not sure exactly what causes it but it isn't a major problem.
That's the issue I have. Slightly turn off centre and a slight clunk. Like you say doesn't sound anything major.

·
Registered
CR-Z 2012 storm silver
56 Posts
Is the engine running when you hear the clunk??
Don't mess with the steering rack!
Check your tie rods and so on when vehicle is off the ground, on Jack's. Both wheels free on the front. Or rear, what ever is being checked

·
Registered
9 Posts
I get a slight clunk every now and again when I turn the steering. Mainly from when the car is stationary. There is a nut to tighten the steering rack.
Had anyone tighten theirs and can it be done without the honda steering rack wrench tool?
holy smokes I have the same thing! Following

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I re-greased my squeaky clutch pedal so re-checked the steering. I checked the steering column and there is some slight play around the steering shaft spline as it joins the shaft from the rack near the bottom. I can't really tell whether it's coming from where the shaft joins or from the rack. You can hear it if you shake the wheel around the centre point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts