Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out in the car yesterday and on lock when pulling away (such as pulling out from a jct) there is a pop-pop-pop knocking/banging noise coming from the front. This doesn't occur when cornering at a normal driving speed.

Seems worse on rh turns, and it also is apparent went turning the steering with the car stopped. Went out again today and it's probably only doing it about fifty percent of the time. Did hear it once over a speed bump also.

Any ideas please?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its repetitious, not a single clunk but repeating?
If you go from lock to lock on the steering it might knock once or twice. It's not a continual noise, basically sounds like something groaning/catching or banging when the steering wheel is turned. Sounds like it's coming from low down under the bonnet - I'd guess the rhs but not sure.

I got out of the car and asked the girlfriend to turn the wheel but it wasn't any easier to diagnose outside of the car.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hmm, could be a lot but since it seems difficult to isolate I would start by giving the more likely wear suspects a shake to check for play. You can check the steering tie rod ends with the wheels turned (theyre on the backside of the front suspension), grab em and shake to see if you can feel any play. Could do the same for the CV joints/axles and the anti-roll bar links with the car on the ground. Lower control arm balljoints and wheel bearings would have to be done with the wheels off the ground. There's a bearing at the top of the front struts as well.

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
In addition to Koala's list, check specifically, the strut top mounts while your girlfriend turns the steering wheel lock-to-lock. Possible that the clunk is coming from up there. Do you have any aftermarket suspension modifications?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Took it out again tonight and it sounded very angry at low speed on RH turns, pop-pop-pop. It then stalled when I wouldn't really have expected it to so I expect it's a binding CV joint. Honda replaced the RHS one less than a year ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts