Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,488 Posts
staggered sizing is interesting... dont think you should do it. If anything usually people run the same diameter wheel only wider in the front. this would provide performance increases but probably for track cars mostly. I cant see how running this setup could help your car at all. you'd probably notice decreased performance in all measurable categories. Again, id like to tell you not to do it. If thats what you want though, its your car.

the fronts will fit, the rears should but i cant be sure.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
staggered sizing is interesting... dont think you should do it. If anything usually people run the same diameter wheel only wider in the front. this would provide performance increases but probably for track cars mostly. I cant see how running this setup could help your car at all. you'd probably notice decreased performance in all measurable categories. Again, id like to tell you not to do it. If thats what you want though, its your car.

the fronts will fit, the rears should but i cant be sure.
:yeahthat:

· Registered
1,939 Posts
^^^ high hp fwd cars run wider wheels in the front for better traction just like the drag setups but it's pointless on a crz unless its making 300+hp. Doesn't have to be very aggressive maybe a half inch wider in the front will help. I did a similar setup in my 400hp ms3 it truly helped just looked a bit funky if u go to crazy in the front.

· Registered
2,488 Posts
^ thats right koop.

gm3 track cars run staggered rims with the wider wheel and tire going on the set of drive wheels. i cant see a practical purpose to do this on the street at all as i mentioned in my first post. I dont know what the OP was going for.

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
^ thats right koop.

gm3 track cars run staggered rims with the wider wheel and tire going on the set of drive wheels. i cant see a practical purpose to do this on the street at all as i mentioned in my first post. I dont know what the OP was going for.
I think the OP is just looking at getting the rear wheels flush and keeping the front flush. Cosmetics. A little more agressive stance.

Big Hurt - Without going into sizes, rubbing issues and as long as you pick the right sizes for the front and rear, I don't see any issues except of course normal tire rotation maintenance is not an option. You'll be forking out some dollars for new tires a lot sooner than most.

· Registered
112 Posts
I think the OP is just looking at getting the rear wheels flush and keeping the front flush. Cosmetics. A little more agressive stance.

Big Hurt - Without going into sizes, rubbing issues and as long as you pick the right sizes for the front and rear, I don't see any issues except of course normal tire rotation maintenance is not an option. You'll be forking out some dollars for new tires a lot sooner than most.
This was my way of thinking as well concerning the OP's intention.

... and If so, I agree it should look good, but at the same time will definitely cost some dough along the way!

· Registered
158 Posts
I am considering running staggered wheels on my CR-Z. Advantages and disadvantages. If I do run them, I am looking at 17x7 and 18x8.5 with offsets of 45 and 48. Will they fit. Thanks

Big Hurt
well at least here... there is one other person that wants to try the same setup i was also going for. with the larger wider wheels in the front that would give the car more traction increased response and provide better feed back to the driver. the car would also oversteer alot more at a corner so the way to control the oversteer is to ... "and i know everbody is going to agree to disagree on this one" ... is to work on 2 techniques for this kind of set up. IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ACCIDENTS

1. left foot braking...this takes some time for most but the way to work on this is to not lift your left foot off the floor and press on the brakes (abs will kick in and youll lock the brakes...power gone! ). but to instead move your foot to the brake pedal by using your left heal as a pivot point and with the front part of you foot learn to feel the pedal and gently apply pressure to the brake pedal. note: the right foot is still on the gas! mastering this technique will allow you to brake late into a corner but not all corners need this technique as excess use of your front brakes will not allow you to get away only slow you down just try to limit the technique to hairpin corners. remember in an FF the front wheels recieve the power... WORKS FOR ME.

OK lets hear the reaction before the 2nd technique get posted.

· Registered
2,488 Posts

if flushness is all youre after, you can do staggered with the same sizes. 17x8 +40 and 17x8 +30 may be more flush for instance because the rears are in more than the fronts (wont perform as well though). Im still wondering why the larger wheel in back... not trying to be critical - just wondering.

well at least here... there is one other person that wants to try the same setup i was also going for. with the larger wider wheels in the front that would give the car more traction increased response and provide better feed back to the driver. the car would also oversteer alot more at a corner so the way to control the oversteer is to ... "and i know everbody is going to agree to disagree on this one" ... is to work on 2 techniques for this kind of set up. IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ACCIDENTS

1. left foot braking...this takes some time for most but the way to work on this is to not lift your left foot off the floor and press on the brakes (abs will kick in and youll lock the brakes...power gone! ). but to instead move your foot to the brake pedal by using your left heal as a pivot point and with the front part of you foot learn to feel the pedal and gently apply pressure to the brake pedal. note: the right foot is still on the gas! mastering this technique will allow you to brake late into a corner but not all corners need this technique as excess use of your front brakes will not allow you to get away only slow you down just try to limit the technique to hairpin corners. remember in an FF the front wheels recieve the power... WORKS FOR ME.

OK lets hear the reaction before the 2nd technique get posted.
my reaction: completely unnecessary. i don't see any mention of tracking in this thread. If you want to left foot brake on the street then go ahead but i cant imagine a situation when you would need to. Likewise i cant imagine a situation on the street where you would need to run a staggered wheel diameter or width in the front.

Not directed at cr-z hybrid: In general mods that dont in some way make a car better (minus visual mods) dont make sense to me. Wheels are visual but they have a lot to do with road manners.

· Registered
693 Posts
I can give you 3 reasons why running different sized tires and wheels back and front would be a bad idea.

First. you will significantly change the handling dynamics of the car and it may be very unpredictable at limit.

Second, the traction control on the car is expecting that the rolling circumference of each tire is the same. If you increase tire size on one axel and not the other the TC will get screwed up. And will kick in at the wrong time.

Finally, Depending on the exact tire sized chosen, esthetically the different sidewall heights of the tires will likely look funny. Perhaps with a taller sidewall in the rear, it could look OK, but your wouldn't want a taller sidewall in the front

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
I can give you 3 reasons why running different sized tires and wheels back and front would be a bad idea.

First. you will significantly change the handling dynamics of the car and it may be very unpredictable at limit.

Second, the traction control on the car is expecting that the rolling circumference of each tire is the same. If you increase tire size on one axel and not the other the TC will get screwed up. And will kick in at the wrong time.

Finally, Depending on the exact tire sized chosen, esthetically the different sidewall heights of the tires will likely look funny. Perhaps with a taller sidewall in the rear, it could look OK, but your wouldn't want a taller sidewall in the front
:yeahthat: Good points.

I have some issues with the rear wheels being 25mm or so inside the wheel wells. Would like a little more flush look. I have he factory 17" rims tires and am going to do a 1" drop using Eibachs and this may get a little flak, but putting hubcentric spacers on the rear (20mm). Consulting my local Speed shop and they agree - is the best choice for keeping the factory wheels and giving a more agressive stance. 122HP is not going challenge the spacers.

Tracking this on
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/handling-suspension/3245-going-do-eibach-pro-series-springs.html

If you want to wait and see how it turns out.

· Registered
693 Posts

I have some issues with the rear wheels being 25mm or so inside the wheel wells. Would like a little more flush look. I have he factory 17" rims tires and am going to do a 1" drop using Eibachs and this may get a little flak, but putting hubcentric spacers on the rear (20mm). Consulting my local Speed shop and they agree - is the best choice for keeping the factory wheels and giving a more agressive stance. 122HP is not going challenge the spacers.

Tracking this on
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/handling-suspension/3245-going-do-eibach-pro-series-springs.html

No major worries about using spacers except make sure you get them properly torqued upon installation and follow up with a check on their torque after a few months of driving.

When you drop the car the tuck looks more noticeable, so pushing the wheels out defiantly helps the look.

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
No major worries about using spacers except make sure you get them properly torqued upon installation and follow up with a check on their torque after a few months of driving..
Thanks. I will definitely do that.

When you drop the car the tuck looks more noticeable, so pushing the wheels out defiantly helps the look.
I'm hoping so.

Spent the day over at a friends Xmas get together. Gave me keys over to a friend who was a CRX owner a while back and didn't see my keys back for a while. Think everyone took it out for a ride. (before the drinking started).

They all came back with a smile on their face. I know, that is another thread. But thinking when the drop and spacers are put on, it will be more what it should look like.

· Registered
2,488 Posts

hit the nail on the head. theres no reason to run different size wheels on the street period.

Tracking this on

spacers should be perfectly fine to help make stock wheels more flush. i think that will look good.

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
if flushness is all youre after, you can do staggered with the same sizes. 17x8 +40 and 17x8 +30 may be more flush for instance because the rears are in more than the fronts (wont perform as well though).
Good point. Using Rims with different offsets is probably a better idea. You will of course have to have the tires taken off the rims for rotational purposes. But a lot cheaper than having to buy new tires sooner.

If you have a local speed or custom shop in your area with good reviews, might drive over and ask some questions. Chances are they will be excited to see a CR-Z and you'll probably get some good qualified answers of what your options are based on appearance and handling. If you ask, they may even take some good measurements for you.

If you do use them to assist or buy on your own, look at the forum's sponsors and try to use thier available products if they have something you like.

See Bizzy, got your back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.