Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers seat was ridiculously squeaky. Every slight movement it would squeak from the bolsters to the back rest.
It was the seat foam rubbing against the metal frame. So whenever I went over bumps, pressed the clutch it would squeak.
I stripped down the seat and covered as much of the steel frame with adhesive felt and cloth tape. I put some cloth tape on the seat springs where they contacted the metal base. I greased where the seat springs rubbed against each other. I also covered the plastic back support and side air bag housing with cloth.
Squeaks are now gone. Took a bit of effort but car is now so much nicer to drive.
I have now noticed my passenger seats squeaks as well. But I don't carry passengers so not going to bother with the passenger seat.
IMAG1675.jpg
IMAG1678.jpg
IMAG1681.jpg

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Wow thats a lot of work. How hard would you say it is to pull these seats apart? How long did it take you? Good work!! :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Once you get the hang of it. It's not too difficult. I had to do it twice as it was still squeaking after the first attempt. So made sure as much of the metal frame and plastic pieces were covered. The seats springs were still squeaking everytime I pressed the clutch. Pain in the butt job though.
Had to figure out how to get the seat adjustment handles off. The side airbag has a metal rod frame that is in two pieces which was a pain to clip together.
The seat is held together with plastic sliders/clips so can be taken apart and put back together without damaging the seat fabric.
Taking off the headrest first makes taking the seat out and putting back in easier.
First time took a while as I was figuring out how to dismantle, but 2nd time didn't take long to rebuild.
Takes a bit of effort but is a cheap fix and shows it can be done. Certainly made a big difference compared to how it was before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Aww man I was hoping there would be an easier fix. Dang.

Thanks for the write up. At least there is a solution!

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
85 Posts
Anything I should know when attempting to disassemble seats? I'm going to install heating mats in them soon. I have more or less generic idea on how to do it in cars, but if there's anything specific to CRZ that I should watch for then some advices would be appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aww man I was hoping there would be an easier fix. Dang.

Thanks for the write up. At least there is a solution!
Yeah, a real PITA to do but worth the effort once done as the squeaking was annoying the hell out of me. Took 2 attempts as it was still squeaking after the first try. 2nd time I just covered everything. 2nd time didn't take long to dismantle and re-assemble the seat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, a real PITA to do but worth the effort once done as the squeaking was annoying the hell out of me. Took 2 attempts as it was still squeaking after the first try. 2nd time I just covered everything. 2nd time didn't take long to dismantle and re-assemble the seat.
I am a new owner of a 2011 base Z.

The seats are so grimy as is the rest of the inside...its going to take me a while to get it to a presentable "not embarrassed to have passengers in" condition.

If I were to only focus only on taking the seat cover and back covers off to just wash them and nothing else. Would that be difficult?

My prior experience with car seats: removed and replaced OEM seats with bride/recaro seats. Same, to install car audio components, etc. All multiple times. (Car seats are a PITA to work with in general IMO)

Reason I ask is because searching for "remove seat covers" yields a couple of threads with loose ends.

Your thread seems to be the only one the seat covers have been removed and placed back without much issue.

I just want to verify its not like some 1 way zipper thing that will need to be stitched back once I take it off.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a new owner of a 2011 base Z.

The seats are so grimy as is the rest of the inside...its going to take me a while to get it to a presentable "not embarrassed to have passengers in" condition.

If I were to only focus only on taking the seat cover and back covers off to just wash them and nothing else. Would that be difficult?

My prior experience with car seats: removed and replaced OEM seats with bride/recaro seats. Same, to install car audio components, etc. All multiple times. (Car seats are a PITA to work with in general IMO)

Reason I ask is because searching for "remove seat covers" yields a couple of threads with loose ends.

Your thread seems to be the only one the seat covers have been removed and placed back without much issue.

I just want to verify its not like some 1 way zipper thing that will need to be stitched back once I take it off.

Thanks!!!
The seats come off with a plastic slider clip that holds the seat cloths together and zips on the back on the upper sections. You need to take the seat adjusters off first. It's not difficult once you figure it out but the seat cloth is attached to the foam base and I wouldn't recommend taking them apart unless you had a way to re-attach. The seats are also attached around the side air bags and you would need to take the wire bracket off which was a pain to put back on. My seats were grimey when I first got my car. I did a wet vac and they came out clean. I would recommend doing the wet vac first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Man.. That's sucks.

Okay nevermind that route.

Thanks for saving me the trouble btw!
But
What do you mean by "wetvac"

Is that another term for a steamer vac thing like the kind they rent out at supermarkets?

Other thing I'm in imagining is a wet/dry shop VAC...in which case.. I definitely need some elaboration on what technique to use for this grime Haha.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What they use for car upholstery cleaning. There are some vids on youtube. Or a carpet cleaner with a hand tool. Scrub down the seats then vacuum out the water. You'd be surprised how clean they come out.

·
Super Moderator
5,595 Posts
I use my Bisell Carpet cleaner which has a hand tool on a hose. And I have used my wet dry ("Shop Vac") vacuum in the past with my steam cleaner which uses distilled water. The carpet cleaner works best . and lots of white terry towels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts