Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Good day! I am planning to purchase Sprintex SC kit on my Honda Crz 2013 currently with 28k kms and running. Car is very well maintained. I have done some research around the net and it looks like the Sprintex SC kit is the best bang for the buck and easiest to do. I just want to make my Crz Faster and make it more fun to drive. Please help me answer some of my questions below:

1. How much gain will the kit give me by just bolting it on and using the piggyback ecu? (current hp according to specs is 136hp combined)
2. Do I need to purchase aftermarket intake like takeda momentum? will it give me noticeable gains? with piggyback ecu? or I need to use ktuner or hondata in this case? (which is added expense in return for me)
3. Is the kit reliable? I will not track my car, it will just be for daily driving.
4. To those who have sprintex sc kit on their car, is it worth it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
1. Zf1 estimate 125-130 whp, zf2 estimate 145-150 whp ( your combine 136 are crank hp fyi)
2. Aftermarket intake may increase hp, but the cost per hp gain may not be economical. Stock intake does work well with the kit
3. Been using the kit for >4 years. Weather here is hot n humid throughout the year, never had a code or breakdown whatsoever.
4. Recommended for a set n forget mod. Nice addition forma daily driver mod. However if u wish for monstrous power, turbo will definitely make more power and way easier compare to a sprintex (limited by the fact u cant install an laminova intercooler due to no space and the only way u can increase ur boost which is by using smaller pulley , limited by the sprintex unit itself ; stock pulley running at 12000 rpm ; max rpm sprintex limited to 15000 rpm)

Just my opinion and experience. Others here may have diff comments

·
Registered
178 Posts
1 & 2 : On my friend's ZF1 it's around 130whp with stock intake, 140+ with takeda momentum. I believe the kits comes with a flasher or something. Hondata flashpro only works on ZF1.

3 : So far the sprintex is the most reliable one with lowest maintenance cost as compare to other centrifugal supercharger and also the lowest power gain kit without any further modification.

4 : It's worth for someone who wants easy, fast & cheap power gaining kit. For those who foreseen their crz could catch up with a golf gti or k20a honda, this is not a right path unless you're putting lots of effort by modifying the kit itself.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I agree with all the comments in this thread. I don't have a sprintex yet but do plan on doing it with the next year or two. The sprintex is great for those hat want a little extra power but don't want a speed demon. Depending on the setup, you can expect to see performance of 150-170 HP crank with the SC. That should be plenty of power to make for a zippy car. HKS also sells a SC that can go to around 200 HP crank on CVT models. They sell a gen 2 model that is good for up to 300 HP crank on 6M models. The HKS is a little pricier and includes an intercooler. I like the sprintex since it has a self contained oiling system and is completely reversible. As far as tuning goes, 11-12 models can use either Hondata or Ktuner. 13-16 models can use Ktuner. Some users have had issues with the piggyback system and 5th injector. If you have a CVT I would think that Accord V6 injectors + sprintex + Ktune would work nicely for a 13-16.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Just adding my two-cents worth:
I did back to back dyno runs on my 2013, with CVT transmission for a before/after comparison: 110hp NA, and 143hp supercharged--that's wheel horse power.
Is your 2013 a CVT or is it a 6-Speed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually right now I am thinking about getting a Sprintex SC Kit and bolt it on with the piggyback system or buy the HKS SC kit that includes HKS Flash Editor of fellow member here named andyy in the forum.

BTW, my unit is ZF1 Honda Crz 2013 6 speed manual.

1. May I know which route is better for me? will the HKS Flash Editor be compatible with my ECU?
2. Some people are saying that Sprintex kit has a lot of issues like piggyback system failure, overheating etc etc is it true?
3. With the HKS SC kit bolt on to my car, what else do I need to add? Injectors? Intake? is it really needed?

When I posted this I am really into getting the Sprintex SC Kit, but further research says that the kit is not that reliable and will make me spend more if it fails and make me get a ktuner/hondata and tune it again. So I was thinking why not get the HKS Kit instead and have it tuned for about the same price.

Thank you very much guys!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried to buy a Sprintex last week. Called the USA branch and they didn’t know if they were going to make anymore. I messaged a guy in Australia and waiting for a reply. I’ll let you guys know what I find.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
So the Sprintex SC is a literal bolt on and go? No tuning required?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
So the Sprintex SC is a literal bolt on and go? No tuning required?
that is not the case - you will need to either flash the ECU with a tune or use the Piggy-back ecu that came with the kit (if you can find one that still has it).

FWIW the people with 13-15 CRZs had issues with the piggyback ECU not working and most people use a hondata flashpro or Ktuner for ECU management.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts