Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Springtime 1000 mile fuel economy. DO NOT VOTE UNIL READING FIRST POST!

• Less than: 34.0 MPG(US) 40.8 MPG(UK) 6.92/100Km

Votes: 0 0.0%

Springtime fuel economy poll

8K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Ol'Man Driver 
#1 ·
Many members have commented that they saw a significant drop off in fuel economy during the cold winter months. Well now that Spring has sprung in many parts of the world, we need to see what kind of mileage we are getting now.

Here are the parameters of this poll:

1. This poll will run for just the next 90 days,
in summer we will have another poll to see the effects of hot weather.

2. To participate, at your next warmer weather fill up, reset your fuel economy "B" meter

3. Drive at least 1000 miles (1600 kilometers)

4. After driving 1000 miles, check what your "B" fuel economy meter reads, and vote only then. Also post to this thread with your actual miles driven and actual observed fuel economy. Ideally post a picture of your results if you are bragging!

5. Remember, the poll only lets you vote once, so don't vote before you hit 1000 miles.

See less See more
#2 ·
^ Purchased mine at the first of Sept last year. Having come from my 2007 Civic Hybrid (HFP package with 18" rims/tires) I can pretty much accurately reflect what my mileage is in warmer weather. It was still pretty warm here last Sept.

And can definitely attest to the difference in mileage in colder weather vs warm.

My 37-38 would be compared to my 34 or so I get now. I am 90% in sport mode and 7 mile commute back and forth to work.

On a highway trip averaging 60-65mph over 30 miles, easily get 39-42 in the cold weather and about the same in warm temps. Longer drives gets everything warm and comfy regardless of temp (unless maybe in extreme situations)

I am also in an area where your either going uphill or downhill.

#8 ·
We are side tracking this serious and very useful thread and poll.. but... In this case, not my fault... So....

What, there are instructions/directions???? :blush:

Darnit, knew I was missing something... :cry:

:hi5:

#11 ·
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Scotty and go marlins haven't driven 1000 miles since this poll was posted either...maybe the op can reset it? I love the idea.

Hell we should make it a contest. Let's all throw in a few bucks and award it to the highest and lowest mileage people. :)

#13 ·
No, but drove a 1000+ before it got cold here and with 3 years of driving a Civic Hybrid (which I traded in for the CR-Z) in both conditions, pretty well edumacated.... No leased porsche for me... to compare against...
:hi5:

#15 ·
Maybe... Probably putting kids through college and previous very low military pay made the decision on the Civic Hybrid purchase more smart or a necessity than lucky....

But, was very educating on driving the IMA system and differences between road conditions, weather, terrain etc... I don't get as good mileage from the CR-Z but I know what I will get in different situations.

There is only 3 votes on this one. Plenty of room for 30-40 additional votes which will tell the tale so to speak.

#18 ·
Okay!!! Finally meet criteria. After over 1k I got an average of 47.0mpg.

Font Auto part Vehicle Car Odometer

Truth be told. I was driving very conservatively to maintain this average. 70% Hwy 30% city. On hwy, I follow speed limit but drop down to -5mph speed limit where traffic permits. Of course normal California hwy congestion. City driving maintained posted speed limit. Very difficult to maintain average especially on my second tank when I felt like I wanted to give up since the weather and traffics were horrendous. Persistence paid off. Tire pressure maintained at 32psi cold. Trip varies from 2 miles per trip to 50 miles per trip. Equally divided among the trips. Consist of rolling hills, steep incline and flat roads. An idea for those living in SoCal. Travel through 4 different counties (LA County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County).

Happy trekking all!!! :vtec:

#20 ·
I've been seeing at least 2 mpg higher since it got in to the 50's instead of the 30's. But, it could also be that I'm more experienced and also that the car is getting broken in....I'll wait until the next fill up and reset "B". And I promise I won't click before 1,000 miles!

#22 ·
Today I had my third springtime fill up and the totals are: 27.166 gallons for 1,032.8 miles = 38.0 mpg.

This is basically the same average that I have had ever since I got the car, but winter,spring, summer and fall are all about the same here in Hawaii!

#24 ·
i was about to be like "damn, there goes my hope for better mpg in warmer weather".. up until i read that you're from hawaii :pat:

i already have noticed better mpg once it started warming up here. i dunno if it's the car being broken in, me learning how to properly drive it, the warmer weather, or everything combined, but it seems like i'm averaging a lot better in city driving than i ever did before. i used to average 28-30mpg/city and now i'm pushing 35-40mpg/city. highway stats are a little better as well

#23 ·
Mine is 6mt, driven entirely in sport mode. The first ~ 4000 mi at temps around 10-30 deg average about 37-39 mpg.

For some strange reason the picture keeps disappearing. Does this happen to others??? What it shows is most recent odometer reading at 1061 miles at 42.5 mpg.

#25 · (Edited)
52.2mpg at 1004 miles. Temp is about 10C in the morning, 10-20 evening.
52.2mpg at 1233 miles for 3 tanks.
Tanks @ fuelly:
418 miles: 49.7
404 miles: 52.5
413 miles: 54.4
1235 miles, 107.7 litres, 52.13 calculated over 3 tanks.

Lifetime average 47.0 mpg (UK)
Typical tank average speed 35mph (but I don't record these)

#26 ·
52.2mpg at 1004 miles. Temp is about 10C in the morning, 10-20 evening.
Tanks @ fuelly:
418 miles: 49.7
404 miles: 52.5
184/53.5 on tripA

Lifetime average 47.0 mpg (UK)

At first glance...I was saying WOW but after finished reading your post I realized you're in UK. Nonetheless, very impressive!

#29 ·
I'm getting crazy high MPG lately (for me)! I can't completely attribute it to the weather, though.
I decided to stop taking the highway when I drive to jobs. My MPG for this last tank is at 41 now. And, I only decided to stop driving on the highway about 1/3 through this tank.

Basically, I get about 35mpg highway, and it's looking like 43 city now! (the car likes going 30mph way more than 70mph)

#30 ·
Each of my last 4 fill-ups has been better than the previous, and this next tank appears it will continue the trend. Still only averaging temps in the 40's in the morning and 50's-60's during my drive home in the afternoon.

Can't wait to see how high my mpgs will be during the summer.

#33 ·
That is very impressive fuel economy!

I see from your fuelly signature that your fuel economy dipped significantly in December and January and has steadily increased by 7-8 mpg since February. Do you attribute this improvement in fuel economy to seasonal temperature changes or to learning a new driving style?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.