Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have looked all over the internet and in all my books on race engineering and I can not find anything that explains how to determine exactly how much spring preload you should have on your coilovers. Factory recommendation is 5mm to 10mm on my godspeed coilovers. I have the coilovers set and 10mm all around and the dampers are max soft at the moment. The ride and its cornering ability are phenomenal. But I set the preload without knowing why it should be set there other than it is within factory specs. Given that the factory has given a range of acceptable preload I would like to know how I find out what the exact amount of preload needed should be. Preferably I'd like to be able to solve this mathematically. So for those of you out there with some knowledge on this can you please explain how this can be done?

Thank you.

These are the coilovers I have installed to the car.

https://godspeedproject.com/honda-crz-zf1-10-17-monoss-coilovers.html

·
Registered
592 Posts
spring, shock, and general coilover setup questions are loaded questions (pun intended) with tons of different myths and real answers depending on your set up and who you ask.

if you don't want a confusing set of answers, best describe what kind of springs are installed on those coilovers to start. and what kind of coilovers we're talking about. adjusting preload will vary from set up to set up.

it's different between progressive and linear rates, whether you have a separate perch for spring preload and height or not, if you run helper springs or not, etc.

if you just want info, super street has a really simple article on what preload is for starters.
Coilovers & What You've Gotten Wrong

1 - 2 of 2 Posts