Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone hacked the CR-Z so that you can have the sport suspension without the performance boost on?

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
Suspension is unaffected by the drive mode buttons. S+ can be used in any mode and forces use of all charge to give more boost.

What are you really asking?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Suspension is unaffected by the drive mode buttons. S+ can be used in any mode and forces use of all charge to give more boost.

What are you really asking?
He is probably talking about the tighter “sportier” feeling of the car when in sport mode. I can tell the steering is tighter for sure, but the whole car does feel different.

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
if that is what he is asking that would require major re-engineering.

He is probably talking about the tighter “sportier” feeling of the car when in sport mode. I can tell the steering is tighter for sure, but the whole car does feel different.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
Has anyone hacked the CR-Z so that you can have the sport suspension without the performance boost on?
I don't know of anyone who had done it--if you're talking about the tighter feel of the steering while in SPORT mode, but I'd like to have that in all modes too. Since it's electronic power steering, it would only--yes, "only"--take finding the right signal and trick it into activating the "sport" steering mode as a full time setting. I'm just not the one who's taken the time to figure it out. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe if you had ECU flash tuning software like a Ktuner and took it to someone who could confidently customize you MAP. but know a good dyno tuner will generally command 250 an hour in my findings. I'd say look into some stiffer springs and call it a day. Swift Sports are the most drop and tein will be the most suble, but theres tons on here about all that.

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
How is this related to mcfreeak's question?
from the other answers here they apparently want the firmer steering feel that you get in sport but not in the other modes in all modes.
mcfreeak can you reply and confirm what you are looking for so we can better understand?
Maybe if you had ECU flash tuning software like a Ktuner and took it to someone who could confidently customize you MAP. but know a good dyno tuner will generally command 250 an hour in my findings. I'd say look into some stiffer springs and call it a day. Swift Sports are the most drop and tein will be the most suble, but theres tons on here about all that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How is this related to mcfreeak's question?

from the other answers here they apparently want the firmer steering feel that you get in sport but not in the other modes in all modes.
mcfreeak can you reply and confirm what you are looking for so we can better understand?
The question was essentially fantasy to start with, so I'll put that out there. although I feel I further clarified what "major re-engineering." could imply

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
Custom ECU settings or modification of the electric steering system. Trying to add something or to change something a manufacturer has many hours of time and lots of money engineering is difficult as a single user to modify. Many systems are involved in the mode buttons. If we understand his request, he wants one of those functions to be changed in a way that changes the whole set of functions for all the modes. So that would be re-engineering of a completed , complicated and now discontinued product.

My answers were more focused on his specific actual question which had nothing to do with your answer. We have lots of other threads regarding more power and suspension modifications.

Not a fantasy we get lots of postings about how to use or change features of the CR-Z some have been simple some have been complicated many are not possible. Go look at old postings there have been proposals to convert CVT to MT, Add electric motors to the rear axle, now we have a series of threads from @PeterPerkins about many changes for the IMA system. @ITEM9 has added all the Japan Domestic features to his USDM car. You do not know unless you ask. We just need clarity as to what is being asked.

The question was essentially fantasy to start with, so I'll put that out there. although I feel I further clarified what "major re-engineering." could imply

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I put the car in sport the suspension feels stiffened If you swing the steering back an forth at freeway speeds the car will not sway around as bad. at all speeds the car handles better. Maybe I need new springs. Maybe I need psychological help. But in a world where people are hacking tesla systems I just thought maybe somebody had figured this out.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
When I put the car in sport the suspension feels stiffened If you swing the steering back an forth at freeway speeds the car will not sway around as bad. at all speeds the car handles better. Maybe I need new springs. Maybe I need psychological help. But in a world where people are hacking tesla systems I just thought maybe somebody had figured this out.
So that feeling is entirely the steering. The suspension is not variable.

Sport, Normal, and Econ modes only change the throttle response, IMA input, and steering response.

Sport: very sensitive throttle, tight steering response, and max IMA boost/regen
Normal: moderate everything
Econ: muted throttle input, moderate steering response, and max IMA boost/regen, as well as more auto-stop engagement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So that feeling is entirely the steering. The suspension is not variable.

Sport, Normal, and Econ modes only change the throttle response, IMA input, and steering response.

Sport: very sensitive throttle, tight steering response, and max IMA boost/regen
Normal: moderate everything
Econ: muted throttle input, moderate steering response, and max IMA boost/regen, as well as more auto-stop engagement.

ok that make sense. I still would like the option to have that on All the time

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
Has anybody looked at the power steering to see how the firmness is activated? There has to be a wire that activates it. I would think a relay or other "switch" independent of the ecu and mode switch could be added. It would be a simple on / off we just need to find how to add that "on" signal to the electric steering in the other two modes where it is normally off.

ok that make sense. I still would like the option to have that on All the time

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Has anybody looked at the power steering to see how the firmness is activated? There has to be a wire that activates it. I would think a relay or other "switch" independent of the ecu and mode switch could be added. It would be a simple on / off we just need to find how to add that "on" signal to the electric steering in the other two modes where it is normally off.
it's just a line of code for how much assistance the motor gives it...

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
I was hoping it was a signal from the mode switch On for firm and off for other two modes. Since it is an electric power steering I thought it might be hydraulic with electrical switch that changes the valving in the power steering. Are you sure it is just a line of code on the ECU? I thought The steering rack itself has to change something for that and I thought it might still be a hydraulic system with electrical control or full electic but still the two modes turned on or off activagted by the Mode switch . I guess I am wrong. Where were you able to find out about the steering and that it has no hydraulics at al and is fully controlled by ECUl? If it is 100% electric controlled by ecu that will make what the OP wanted much more complicated and expensive.Thank you.
it's just a line of code for how much assistance the motor gives it...

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I was hoping it was a signal from the mode switch On for firm and off for other two modes. Since it is an electric power steering I thought it might be hydraulic with electrical switch that changes the valving in the power steering. Are you sure it is just a line of code on the ECU? I thought The steering rack itself has to change something for that and I thought it might still be a hydraulic system with electrical control or full electic but still the two modes turned on or off activagted by the Mode switch . I guess I am wrong. Where were you able to find out about the steering and that it has no hydraulics at al and is fully controlled by ECUl? If it is 100% electric controlled by ecu that will make what the OP wanted much more complicated and expensive.Thank you.
So I've had the steering rack out of my car and in my hands - there is only an electric motor. There's no hydraulic component. The motor is more responsive to input in sport mode, due to coding in one module or another. I'm not sure it's the ECU in particular, but nonetheless it's all computer controlled.

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
I was looking at Rockauto parts for steering and it is wrong then. it listed pressure sensors and other hydraulic parts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I was looking at Rockauto parts for steering and it is wrong then. it listed pressure sensors and other hydraulic parts

That's an error. this is the "oem Part number" for that pressure switch, which the CRZ uses for valve timing pressure, not steering... it also lists a generic power steering fluid, but it says that fits "all Honda" and a bunch of other makes. Something tells me they didn't bother to exclude the EPS-equipped cars until they were more widespread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts