Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Sport Mode Steering

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Jazzbone 
#1 ·
Maybe I've just gotten used to it, but I'm finding very little or no difference in the steering feel in sport mode. Is it just really subtle, or is it possible it isn't really changing?

#3 ·
I unfortunately don't have any data for you but I remember reading that the amount of assist and iirc, the overall steering ratio changed resulting in a heavier feel and quicker response. At least when comparing eco to sport. I do not remember if I read anything specific about the steering in normal.

#5 ·
Yeah, that's it. Tried the same thing this morning on my way to work. (Was thinking about this thread at the time, and was reminded why I keep it in SPORT mode most of the time.) :wink2:

#6 ·
On the Z, Steering modes are combined into the Drive modes. On my EcoBoost There are separate steering modes and Drive modes. I always keep the steering in sport mode. On the Z Sport mode stiffens up the steering while Econ mode makes it looser feeling. Maybe someone can figure out a way to adjust the steering for each drive mode with Hondata or Ktuner.

#9 ·
From my personal experience:
Eco mode makes steering loose, relies heavily on the IMA and does something to throttle the engine but also reduces engine load by about 10 percent I haven't checked timing but manifold pressure and air to fuel ratios stay the same, it seems to also increase the gas peddle stiffness and wot is slower
Normal mode seems to be just that, while the crz is a hybrid and IMA works in normal mode obviously the best way I can describe it is stock, it's like a "pre tune" mode so everything seems like it would be on an equivalent car without mode buttons
Sport mode makes steering tighter and heavier, full IMA assist regardless of battery level during acceleration but far faster with a full battery, increases engine response but doesn't seem to increase engine load nor change manifold pressure and air to fuel ratios, seems to reduce peddle stiffness, wot seems to be the same as normal

On the stock car normal and sport feel very similar and eco is a turtle
With the mods I have done eco is slightly slower than stock in normal, normal is fast and sport is intense and gives the engine life in all gears and rpm ranges, however, I wouldn't say it makes the car "faster" just far more responsive

My personal conclusion is eco is best suited to sea level straight interstate were it does in fact increase mpg but not suited for really much else and if the battery gets low or driving hills/mountains and/or above sea level can reduce mpg
Normal is best suited for every day driving
Sport is best suited for twisties and track and won't make much difference in everyday driving

I have a 13 and air, catback 2.25 and manifold mods with a light flywheel, I do have more but those produce the most gains so while I could argue my car highlights the differences better than stock and the technical aspects should be the same I would say they most likely apply to the 13+ and the modes may be different on the 11 and 12 and my subjective experience probably has more to do with my mods rather than the IMA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.