Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I need some clarification. Is it 'hard' to drive a cammed car? I heard stories from other people that said it's a nightmare to drive. How different is it from driving a normal manual trans car?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I need some clarification. Is it 'hard' to drive a cammed car? I heard stories from other people that said it's a nightmare to drive. How different is it from driving a normal manual trans car?
if youre talking about this thread specifically i dont think u need to wry about all that. a fully built amd aggressively cammed car chugs and sounds like its struggling at idle sorta. idk never drivien one but dont expect that from this cam. think of this as like a stage 1 upgrade whereas ur talking about like a stage 3 or 4 setup

·
Registered
21 Posts
if youre talking about this thread specifically i dont think u need to wry about all that. a fully built amd aggressively cammed car chugs and sounds like its struggling at idle sorta. idk never drivien one but dont expect that from this cam. think of this as like a stage 1 upgrade whereas ur talking about like a stage 3 or 4 setup
Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
So this is an interesting topic that has yet to be answered. I know there is another topic in the forum about grinding the crz camshaft with juncam or what ever. My thought is why don't you just drop the whole Honda fit engine into the crz. Why just the camshaft, rockers, valve springs , and head? And at the prices for the parts it would be cheaper to buy a used fit engine.

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
So this is an interesting topic that has yet to be answered. I know there is another topic in the forum about grinding the crz camshaft with juncam or what ever. My thought is why don't you just drop the whole Honda fit engine into the crz. Why just the camshaft, rockers, valve springs , and head? And at the prices for the parts it would be cheaper to buy a used fit engine.
But a Fit is not the hybrid engine is it? With these changes you keep the Hybridness.

·
Registered
388 Posts
But a Fit is not the hybrid engine is it? With these changes you keep the Hybridness.
Yup, the idea is to keep the low end torque of the electric motor while making gains in the midrange and higher RPM. Fairly sure the 1.5L fit block isn't compatible with the IMA motor.

Now that the Z isn't my daily I wouldn't mind the hit to MPG. Not soon, but someday.

·
Registered
511 Posts
OK I see; so the problem with just throwing the fit engine would be lack of a functional IMA. Has anyone done this conversion yet and if so what kind of decrease in MPG are we talking? I myself could loss a couple MPG if it got rid of the lag and bounce effect at take off.

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
Yup, the idea is to keep the low end torque of the electric motor while making gains in the midrange and higher RPM. Fairly sure the 1.5L fit block isn't compatible with the IMA motor.

Now that the Z isn't my daily I wouldn't mind the hit to MPG. Not soon, but someday.
I thought that was the case. Adding the Fit parts to the CR-Z engine you keep the Hybridness but increase the other parameters of the engine. I just wanted to understand better what was being discussed in this thread.:smile2:

·
Registered
388 Posts
OK I see; so the problem with just throwing the fit engine would be lack of a functional IMA. Has anyone done this conversion yet and if so what kind of decrease in MPG are we talking? I myself could loss a couple MPG if it got rid of the lag and bounce effect at take off.
I'm sure this was linked further back in the thread, but I'm too lazy to dig.
The engine in Spoon's demonstration Z had a lot more done to it than just the cam swap, but those that drove it figured high 20s: R&T Spoon CR-Z test

Without extensive mods to the bottom end of the engine, the recommended redline with the Spoon/Fit cam conversion is 7k instead of the 8.5k Spoon ran their car up to, so the MPG hit with just the cams may not be as bad as the R&T estimate. Spoon ZF-1 High Camshaft

61 - 80 of 121 Posts