Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased Spoon calipers upgrade package that AJ Racing is offering (http://www.crzforum.com/forum/j-racing/4480-spoon-brakes-upgrade.html). Thanks so much! The package includes Twin-Block Spoon calipers, Project Mu brake pads, and Brembo rotors. I am so glad AJ Racing put this package together.

The calipers are bolt on with no need for any brackets. You will have to remove the dust shield from behind the rotors. They can also be cut, but removing them is much easier. There is a metal bracket on the mu brake pad that has to be removed. This can be pulled off. Small tabs on the back side of the pads have to be grinded off. Install was pretty straight forward. The only thing I had trouble with was removing the stock rotors since it was attached on really tight by 2 screws that stripped.

I also purchased 10mm spacers so that the calipers will clear my wheels. This involved replacing the studs with extended ones.

The calipers are much lighter then the stock calipers. Braking is more responsive then stock. I am really happy with it and it looks great.

I was planning to do a DIY for this but ended up drinking beers instead of taking detailed pictures. Here are some pics that were taken.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Very Nice.. Thanks for sharing with the forum.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^ his mugen wheels are 16's
Replacing the studs were not that hard. Once you remove the rotor you can hammer them out pretty quickly. When installing the new studs...I used a few washers and a open ended lug nut to lock them into place.

Spoon calipers are smaller the other Big Brake kits. My 16" wheels fit without any issues.

·
Registered
270 Posts
From my driving impressions on my own car, YES. The initial braking is better and the biggest difference is at high speed. When you travel anything after 60mph, when you hit the brakes,the car just stops. The brakes are lighter too so less unprung weight makes the car faster :)

Kronzonly, time to let us know your driving impressions.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would have to agree with AJ. Braking from a fast speed to a full stop, I could definately feel the difference. Braking feels a lot more responsive as well. Even though the calipers are lighter, I don't really feel the difference.

Spoon really never makes rear replacements.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Replacing the studs were not that hard. Once you remove the rotor you can hammer them out pretty quickly. When installing the new studs...I used a few washers and a open ended lug nut to lock them into place.

Spoon calipers are smaller the other Big Brake kits. My 16" wheels fit without any issues.
Cool, I'm an IT guy, I don't know that much about the workings of cars. I just remember the mechanic being annoyed when he had to replace the studs on my old Mitsu; he had to remove the axle to put in new ones. That was a big 4x4 though.

Didn't realize those were 16" wheels, they look bigger to me :blush: Just asking cause I use the stock alloys for my snow tires. Spoon calipers are still only on my wish list though, they do cost a fair bit. You get what you pay for though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.