Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around and couldn't seem to find a thread about this -

Does anyone here have pictures with some spoilers? I'm not too fond of the OEM one, I like the HKS Kansai Spoiler but it's a bit expensive....

What else is out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
As a 35 year old professional field grade officer, what is the purpose of putting a heavy, 2 foot metal spoiler on the back of your front wheel drive car? Not being a dick, I am just honestly curious. I can understand the carbon fiber hoods (less weight, and something I may look into for mine, although I would have it painted to match my car) and the suspension swapouts for a stiffer ride and better cornering, and even the REALLY annoying cofee can mufflers that sound like a moped hooked up to a emergency loudspeaker if they actually improve HP. But what does putting a giant (not a tasteful one like yours LDRCRZ) garish aluminum spoiler, which pushes the back of the car down at higher speeds using downforce to increase traction on say, a 1969 Dodge Hemi Charger Daytona, do for a front wheel drive Ford Focus? Or Honda Civic? Is there some mystical law of physics that I missed in grad school or is this just part of the Biker Boyz/Rice Racer Culture? Again, if it is for aesthetics and you think it looks cool okay. But if you are rigging your ride up for racing, it seems like adding ANY weight would be detrimental, and that would definitely increase your coefficient of drag making you even slower.

Back on topic, I might consider one like LDRCRZ for looks, not to increase my racing speed.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
As a 35 year old professional field grade officer, what is the purpose of putting a heavy, 2 foot metal spoiler on the back of your front wheel drive car? Not being a dick, I am just honestly curious. I can understand the carbon fiber hoods (less weight, and something I may look into for mine, although I would have it painted to match my car) and the suspension swapouts for a stiffer ride and better cornering, and even the REALLY annoying cofee can mufflers that sound like a moped hooked up to a emergency loudspeaker if they actually improve HP. But what does putting a giant (not a tasteful one like yours LDRCRZ) garish aluminum spoiler, which pushes the back of the car down at higher speeds using downforce to increase traction on say, a 1969 Dodge Hemi Charger Daytona, do for a front wheel drive Ford Focus? Or Honda Civic? Is there some mystical law of physics that I missed in grad school or is this just part of the Biker Boyz/Rice Racer Culture? Again, if it is for aesthetics and you think it looks cool okay. But if you are rigging your ride up for racing, it seems like adding ANY weight would be detrimental, and that would definitely increase your coefficient of drag making you even slower.

Back on topic, I might consider one like LDRCRZ for looks, not to increase my racing speed.
There are such things as functional spoilers for FWD cars as well. Most are not, and are purely cosmetic. And you are right in that adding downforce just on the rear will be less then ideal on a FWD car. The more interesting question would be; Do you ever get up to speeds where you would benefit from a spoiler?

Using your logic, F1 cars really don't need that spoiler in the front? They are RWD after all :pP:

To answer the original topic though. If you just want a spoiler for the looks, I would go with JDP. Discreet and suits the car well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
huge ones would be for looks, but factory size or slightly larger will move the turbulent airflow a little farther back from the car, slightly increasing gas mileage.

A giant one on a rwd car definitely will add drag and make you slower, but the benefits on other parts of the track definitely make up for it. On my 370, I can go all out through the esses at Road Atlanta, where I couldn't before the wing, although I have lost 7mph top end on the long straight.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Okay, that make sense. I know how front spoilers work on F! cars, but I wan't aware of the others. I know they work on rear wheel drive cars, but you have to be haulin a$$ to get any benefit from them. That was why I used the 69 Charger as my example. That car was so fast (it pretty much won every NASCAR event for like 7 years) that they had to fit a pointy rubber nose on it and it still literally flipped over at speed, so they added a humongous 2 1/2 foot spoiler to the back to keep it planted. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about just google image 1969 Dodge Hemi Charger Daytona, or it's sister car, the 1969 Plymouth Super Bird which had a 440 Magnum with a sixpack to the Chargers 429 and dual 4 barrels.

·
Registered
886 Posts
ya i got the C-West spoiler. i find it looks the best as it continues the lines of the car:
I really like that one.. And do you really think it helps w/ aerodynamics? This one doesn't look like it's made for downforce, but like you said, moving the turbulent air further back off the car.
I'm thinking maybe it could help w/ the highway MPG dropoff.

Do you (or anyone) have any sort of data? (like, driving the same stretch of highway at 70mph w/ and w/out spoiler, or someting)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
there was a video on youtube comparing Mugen wing to C-west wing and they got a higher top speed with the C-west cus the Mugen created too much drag lol. but that's about it for data.

here's the video (sorry it's in japanese as the C-west company is japanese)

YouTube - CR-Z ZF1 C-WEST

also rear spoilers on a FWD helps a little for keeping the rear wheels grounded while cornering. i think to prevent oversteer if i got that wording right? (i always get confused with oversteer and understeer. yey for english as 2nd language)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
As a 35 year old professional field grade officer, what is the purpose of putting a heavy, 2 foot metal spoiler on the back of your front wheel drive car? <SNIP>
^^^ I like this guy! :hi5:

(RICER replies.. cuz it will hold it tite to the ground at 200mph, YO!)

(17 year old live at home punk replies.. Cause it make my Dodge NEON look BAAAADDD!)

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
bump

im sure they are both functional ;)
Of course they are - you bolt the space shuttle to them, and once you get the car up to about Mach 1.5, you blow the bolts and off she flies! LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.