Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im coming to the CRZ from what i consider a fairly interesting and varied Sports car history .... My current outgoing car, replaced with the CRZ is a 05 impreza WRX ... definitely a damn fast car .... but im lucky to see 20mpg(uk) and ive found the car pretty dull to drive, and very boring inside.

Before that i had a 2003 mr2 roadster (spider) not hugely fast (in fact only a little faster than the crz < 2 seconds-ish) this has to have been one of the most fun cars ive ever had to drive (in fact ive had 2)

before that a honda accord type R ... again fast and the vtec kick was addictive ... but eventually fairly dull day to day.

From my test drive of the CRZ over some nice twisty back roads it seems to have the potential to be just as fun to drive as the MR2 was ... but undoubtably slower than both the Scoob and the ATR.

Upon announcing my departure from the subaru community and associated forum, i was met with "arnt those powered by petals and moisturizer" and "what a slow piece of crap" comments .....

What the hell is it with people that speed is everything. over here in the uk the ability to break the speed limit is normally met by a nice "action" photograph from the rozzers (us/uk translation: police) and a bill anyway.

Give me a car you can get a smile from on every journey (mr2/crz) than 10 seconds of smile after a set of traffic lights and normally a lot of hand gesturing from other motorists any day !

·
Registered
658 Posts
the cr-z really is a fun car to drive. no one will really know unless they drive it themselves. and personally, i'd rather have above average gas mileage in a car i enjoy, while still being able to kick it in sport every now and then

·
Registered
200 Posts
They just need their fast car to make up for a lack of something elsewhere...

While I'd love to have a really fast car I'd rather have it as a 2nd or 3rd car that I can use exclusively for fun. Even then the speed would be useless though...we may not have speed cameras but just on my short 9mi trip to/from work it's rare that I don't see the police looking for a speeder. Sadly I've turned into the guy in the right lane going exactly the speed limit and subjected to being tailgated and even the occasional guy yelling out his pickup truck window at me. It's too saturated with police around here for me to find the risk worth the reward.

Let them have their speed, but I find I can't park in a parking lot on a busy evening without having someone come up and ask me about my car and compliment it and talk about how much they like it...

·
Registered
658 Posts

While I'd love to have a really fast car I'd rather have it as a 2nd or 3rd car that I can use exclusively for fun. Even then the speed would be useless though...we may not have speed cameras but just on my short 9mi trip to/from work it's rare that I don't see the police looking for a speeder. Sadly I've turned into the guy in the right lane going exactly the speed limit and subjected to being tailgated and even the occasional guy yelling out his pickup truck window at me. It's too saturated with police around here for me to find the risk worth the reward.

Let them have their speed, but I find I can't park in a parking lot on a busy evening without having someone come up and ask me about my car and compliment it and talk about how much they like it...
i've turned into that same guy :rotfl:

·
Registered
245 Posts

I guess in my case I get my speed from hopping on to my motorcycle and zipping around. I do find myself going from a right most lane speeder to a right lane staying at the speed limit gradually in this car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hi, I have had a lot of quick / fast cars. 5.0 Mustang, BMW Z-4 3.O, 2002 Subaru WRX stage 3, 2006 Infiniti G35. All will smoke a CRZ. That being said. None of them could get 30-40 mpg, None of them received the attention this CRZ gets. I have 6k miles on it now and I look forward to driving it every day. Yes I will mod it a little with springs, shocks and rims with wider tires. Yes it will kill fuel economy a little but compared to other cars it will be ok.

I am in my forties and my give a damm is broke. I don't care what those speed freaks think. I am looking at buying a old hot rod to redo in the future and it will probably be fast but it will never be a daily driver.

I guessed I turned into that guy too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will join the club too by the end of this week.

I am now driving a modified Nissan 200SX (S13) which out-speeds the CR-Z effortlessly but i couldn't care less any more.

I just can't wait to get behind the CR-Z's steering wheel. I have fallen in love with it from the first time i saw it and loved it even more after the first test drive.

I guess that my mid 20s highway racing days are over. :-D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im coming to the CRZ from what i consider a fairly interesting and varied Sports car history .... My current outgoing car, replaced with the CRZ is a 05 impreza WRX ... definitely a damn fast car .... but im lucky to see 20mpg(uk) and ive found the car pretty dull to drive, and very boring inside.

Before that i had a 2003 mr2 roadster (spider) not hugely fast (in fact only a little faster than the crz < 2 seconds-ish) this has to have been one of the most fun cars ive ever had to drive (in fact ive had 2)

before that a honda accord type R ... again fast and the vtec kick was addictive ... but eventually fairly dull day to day.

From my test drive of the CRZ over some nice twisty back roads it seems to have the potential to be just as fun to drive as the MR2 was ... but undoubtably slower than both the Scoob and the ATR.

Upon announcing my departure from the subaru community and associated forum, i was met with "arnt those powered by petals and moisturizer" and "what a slow piece of crap" comments .....

What the hell is it with people that speed is everything. over here in the uk the ability to break the speed limit is normally met by a nice "action" photograph from the rozzers (us/uk translation: police) and a bill anyway.

Give me a car you can get a smile from on every journey (mr2/crz) than 10 seconds of smile after a set of traffic lights and normally a lot of hand gesturing from other motorists any day !
if your talking about nasioc, i have nothing to say but very bad things about those guys. i have a bugeye wagon that the crz will replacing, i just have a very hard time getting rid of it, the biggest issue i have are the idiots on the roads. i do like lots of torque though which is my biggest hurdle to selling it

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I think most people find fault with the fact we drive a "sports" car that doesn't seem very sporty when put on a track vs a GTI or WRX.

Plenty of immature folks buying into that line that says live life one 1/4 mile at a time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I always have my firebird to fall back on during the nicer summer months, but as a daily driver the CRZ is about as good a combination of fun and practicality as I could ask for.
Also, as far as first and second gear in sport mode are concerned my CRZ is the terror of the parking lots around here, you can shoot down the aisles and whip around into the next one without even slowing down xD

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like to have fun. I like to go fast. I have a motorcycle that will do a quarter mile in 10.01 seconds, and a motorcycle that will do 165+ miles an hour. Both of the bikes get 45 MPG when you ride them withing "normal" limits. Now I have a CR-Z which is fast and fun and gets 40 MPG if I drive it withing "normal" limits.
Life is good.

Glenn

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm with you guys - I've transformed from fast sportscar a-hole to slow-driver-in-the-right-lane-ahole. :)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
they only insult it cus they haven't actually driven it. on paper the power of the CRZ does seem very weak but put the sucker in Sport mode and take off at a red light and you're like " HOLY SH*T WHERE THE F*K DID THIS POWER COME FROM". (with a giant grin on your face)

I only wish there was an LSD so i'd stop spinning like a Mustang at the light lol. but better tires will help too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sadly I've turned into the guy in the right lane going exactly the speed limit and subjected to being tailgated and even the occasional guy yelling out his pickup truck window at me.
As long as you aren't the guy in the left hand lane going the speed limit and saying 'I don't care, the limit is the limit' you are fine by me.

I used to be really into driving fast on the streets, but doing track days in my fun car has taken all of the spirit out of me on public roads, as I can't come anywhere near the limits I hit on a track, so I just save it all for the track now, and really enjoy driving this Z on the streets.

Until I got this car, unless I was going to and from work, I just had my wife do all of the driving. Now I actually volunteer to do it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
they only insult it cus they haven't actually driven it. on paper the power of the CRZ does seem very weak but put the sucker in Sport mode and take off at a red light and you're like " HOLY SH*T WHERE THE F*K DID THIS POWER COME FROM". (with a giant grin on your face)

I only wish there was an LSD so i'd stop spinning like a Mustang at the light lol. but better tires will help too.
I agree.

Critic's of the car, Go test drive one.

Do this, Sport mode to the floor and see how long you have the guts to hold it there. I have run mine down the local airport small runway and stopped at 120mph and once you get to 60 mph it gets to 120 quickly. I ran out of runway before topping it out all the way. I also took it to 105 mph going down a long on ramp on my test drive back in December. (Yes, I know its tabo so please don't flame me)

But really the car will haul once moving. Its not a hole shot car big deal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always have my firebird to fall back on during the nicer summer months, but as a daily driver the CRZ is about as good a combination of fun and practicality as I could ask for.
Also, as far as first and second gear in sport mode are concerned my CRZ is the terror of the parking lots around here, you can shoot down the aisles and whip around into the next one without even slowing down xD
I know I sound like a debbie downer but I hope the parking lot is empty. I watched my friends 4 year old daughter get maimed badly from someone doing exactly that.

<sorry ... bad memories>

Back on topic, there is this saying in the motorcycle world that "It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow".

Liter bikes only wake up in triple digits and by that time, you are well on your way to wearing silver bracelets. The CRZ has the gears and handling that make it loads of fun.

Another comparison is sailing versus a motor boat. You really are not going that fast but it feels like flying.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Driving this car is like a game. I find myself enjoying the higher fuel economy so I keep my foot out of it. I like to brag I got 40 mpg. Plus its so small compared to other cars I don't want to be burried in it. :thumbsup:

I think I may be growing up at age 44. As of tommorrow. The 17th

Happy St. Patricks Day !!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.