Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the combustion engine only turns off in the 6 speed version, when you shift the car to neutral.

Is there any speed limit to that? I mean, if I'm going down a long hill at 60 mph, and I shift the car to neutral, does the engine turn off until I shift into a gear?

·
Registered
163 Posts
In the tech info that was translated in another thread, it would seem you have to be going under 30km/hr (about 18mph) and be in neutral before the engine would cut out in the 6MT version. Also certain other factors are in play, like if its a hot day and you have aircon on, it won't cut the engine as the aircon needs the power directly from the engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If the IMA system is the same as it is on the 5 speed, Gen 1 Insight the engine will shut off at about 17-18 MPH when in neutral or the clutch is engaged. It will stay in "shut off" mode until a few different things could happen

1. You place the car back into gear, any gear. The combustion engine will start right away.

2. You coast for a while using the brakes occasionally. For example on a decline, you could roll for quite a while if you don't use the brakes. Using the brakes will eventually necessitate re-charging the battery.

3. If you engage and dis-engage the clutch several times while stopped or coasting. I'm not sure why this happens, but it does

4. If the A/C is in "Standard Mode" and not "ECON MODE".

All of the above scenarios are true, unless you place the car into 1st gear (downshifting) when you come to a stop, then the combustion engine will stay running. It's like a game to see how long you can roll with the combustion engine off, great for MPG's.

You can also Force Charge the battery pack by sitting still and revving the engine to 3000 RPM. The IMA system will then begin to charge the battery pack. I learned this while Auotcrossing my Gen 1 Insight. The battery would go dead after my first run (too much battery assist and not enough re-gen braking). So when I would get back in grid I would rev the engine to 3000 RPM to re-charge the battery. Plus sitting in grid revving the engine of the all impressive 1.0 liter Gen 1 Insight engine is pretty intimidating to the competitiors.:p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Got this here. It might take some getting used to :)

Honda CR-Z Technical Overview power-train driving dynamics

The idle stop for the MT is described as follows:
- whenever you step on the clutch while braking at less than 30kmph the engine will stop.
- to bring it back to life you have to press the clutch again and bring the gear lever from neutral to another position (it will then start before depressing the clutch).

It is not specified what would happen if you press the clutch, then release it without having gone through neutral first. As far as the explanation the PR material goes, it suggests one is supposed to go to Neutral after pressing the clutch the first time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got this here. It might take some getting used to :)

Honda CR-Z Technical Overview power-train driving dynamics

The idle stop for the MT is described as follows:
- whenever you step on the clutch while braking at less than 30kmph the engine will stop.
- to bring it back to life you have to press the clutch again and bring the gear lever from neutral to another position (it will then start before depressing the clutch).
PAG. Yes, I am now getting used to this way of driving. For example, when driving down a long hill towards traffic lights, at red, you can either change down through the gears (and the engine braking will replenish the battery). Or you can simply engage neutral and coast to a stop. The engine will stop if the speed is less than 30 kph. At the lights, you are in neutral with your foot on the foot brake, or the hand brake engaged, or nothing. The engine will not start until you depress the clutch fully and engage a gear.

It is not specified what would happen if you press the clutch, then release it without having gone through neutral first. As far as the explanation the PR material goes, it suggests one is supposed to go to Neutral after pressing the clutch the first time.
PAG. No. You need to be in neutral before you press the clutch. If you wait at traffic lights with the car in gear, the engine will keep running. It will stop only if you are in neutral (the handbook also mentions first gear, but I have never found this and my CR-Z is a six-speed manual car).

Think of two situations.
(1) You are stopped at traffic lights. You are in gear and the engine is running. The only way that the engine will stop is if you engage neutral.
(2) Or you are in neutral, with the hand brake on, or your foot on the foot brake. As soon as your engage first or second gear, the engine will start, and if you are on a hill, the car will not roll back as you move your right foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator.

Best,

PAG

·
Registered
41 Posts
Civic Hybrid Shut Down

Just posting my experience with my 2007 Civic Hybrid.

The engine shut down feature at traffic lights (and other stops) is a major fuel saver. Until you sit in a car with an active MPG guage/meter, you have no idea the fuel you are wasting idling. I saw my Civic Hybrid go from a trip MPG in the mid 40's to under 40 MPG while just sitting at stoplights.

The guage would go down by 1/10ths from 45.6, to 45.5, to 45.4, to 45.3, etc.etc; Not only that, but I was amazed at how fast the MPG went down.

A short drive from highway driving to driving through the city streets of Indianapolis, IN would cause an actual decrease of up to 5 MPG in total fuel tank MPG. (I reset my guage with every fill-up).

I am glad to hear the CR-Z engine shuts down at stops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.