Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Road to the CR-Z
When General Motors took back my EV-1 only to crush it, I had to find a new daily driver. Two years in an EV had made me not want to go back to a gas guzzling ICE. I went looking for a Honda CRX HF and instead found a 2000 Honda Insight MT. I learned to hyper mile and I was in love with the hybrid experience. A few years went by and life got in the way. I needed a daily driver that not only got good mpg but had a backseat. The law frowns upon fathers who put the kids in the hatchback. Go figure.

This was when I bought a 2008 Toyota Prius. I looked at the second generation Insight but the mpg was quite a bit less than the second generation Prius. The Barcelona Red Prius met an unfortunate demise on the highway leading me to my next hybrid, the 2011 Toyota Prius. One of those little girls that caused me to need a backseat is driving my Prius. This left me driving the 2017 Hyundai Elantra (not a hybrid model) as my daily driver. It's got XM and it's got CarPlay. The seats are heated and I'm getting 38 mpg, but it's not exciting.

The Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is critical when buying a car, even if it is a daily driver for my commute that she will rarely ride in. When my daughter started driving the Prius, I started looking at first generation Insights, only to hear how ugly that car is. However, when I showed her the CR-Z, she liked it. This weekend, if all goes well, I'm picking up my CR-Z. I've already been wearing out the search function on this forum and two Facebook groups, but I'm sure that I'll still have questions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome and widen where you look for a CR-Z to buy. They were rare when still being built rarer now.
Looking at the car sales numbers per year, I agree that they are not a common vehicle. I see that 2011 was the most common year which makes sense when compared to the available vehicles that are for sale. Like you suggested, I have been looking across not only my state but the five states that border, as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! Happy to hear about another dad on this forum.
Over the years, after becoming a dad, I learned a bit more about my dad. Things that he did now make more sense, as I experience it from his side. My father had a number of vehicles that were not real common. I seem attracted to vehicles like that.

·
Premium Member
8,991 Posts
Looking at the car sales numbers per year, I agree that they are not a common vehicle. I see that 2011 was the most common year which makes sense when compared to the available vehicles that are for sale. Like you suggested, I have been looking across not only my state but the five states that border, as well.
Some have done national search and either flew to drive back or had shipped. 6MT was rarer than CVT in US so the wider the search the more likely to find what you want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL i had 1.2 kids before I bought the CRZ (wife was 2mo pregnant with No. 2)
Oddly, I was a single father with one child at the time. However, my daughter had a half-sister that spent a lot of time with us. Since I was going through my mid-life crisis my fleet consisted of a Lincoln Navigator (not a good commuter vehicle), a Thunderbird (sexy but no backseat), and an Insight (excellent commuter car but no backseat). Therefore, every time I needed to haul two kids, I had to go home first to get the Navigator. Then usually stop at a gas station.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some have done national search and either flew to drive back or had shipped. 6MT was rarer than CVT in US so the wider the search the more likely to find what you want.
So far, I've found two that I was ready to get but both sold before I managed to get them. McDonough isn't far from me, and I could have made the trip on a weeknight but I waited too long to commit. The South Carolina one we were planning to go up tomorrow morning (Saturday) but it sold yesterday.

Now that I've figured out how to trick Facebook Marketplace, I'm finding a few more of them. I've got a couple more possible ones in mind. Both of these were base models. The red one was a 6MT. The right one is going to be there for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 59652
Found these on CarMax within 250mi of McDonough
I'm looking for $4k or less. I have that Wife Acceptance Factor to deal with. I did that same search on Carmax. Notice that all of them are low mileage, EX models, and only one of them isn't a 2011?

·
Registered
467 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.